Hate

Has been often said 'I hate this or I hate that' and I expect we are all guilty. We may feel justified saying that we hate the devil, but consider. If we hate it only goes to show that the object of our hate still has power over us.
e.g. Consider a secure adult being bothered by a obnoxious child, the child's behavior may be totally out of control and as an adult we may be repulsed by the behavior but because the child is really no threat to us and is totally under our control we may strongly dislike the behavior but we don't hate the child itself.

Scripture says "perfect love casts out all fears', and we know there is only one source of perfect love and that Creator has control over everything, therefore if we are a part of that perfect love we have power over everything and hate has no position of power. Of course our ultimate example is Jesus Christ.
However, in our fallen condition we are still in the battle - until we lay this body down - or - we are brought into the condition were all things are possible - even the translation.

The word  hate is often misused in our modern society; it is weaponized as a method of silencing opposition, particularly by liberals. You're a  hater when you don't embrace the latest form of perversion foisted by pop culture.

What those poor abusers of language fail to understand is  haters are not those who make unpopular comments. Haters are people who round up women and children to massacre them for no other reason than they were of a different ethnicity than the murderers.

Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Proverbs 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Proverbs 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Proverbs 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

The last one is a doozy and is the 7th.

To perceive, one must become in part what is being perceived.

Light enters the eye.
Scent enters the lung.
Taste enters the mouth.

To experience hate, hatred itself must enter your being in the same manner as love must first enter your being before you can experience even it.

Be very careful with hatred.

Has been often said 'I hate this or I hate that' and I expect we are all guilty. We may feel justified saying that we hate the devil, but consider. If we hate it only goes to show that the object of our hate still has power over us.
e.g. Consider a secure adult being bothered by a obnoxious child, the child's behavior may be totally out of control and as an adult we may be repulsed by the behavior but because the child is really no threat to us and is totally under our control we may strongly dislike the behavior but we don't hate the child itself.

Scripture says "perfect love casts out all fears', and we know there is only one source of perfect love and that Creator has control over everything, therefore if we are a part of that perfect love we have power over everything and hate has no position of power. Of course our ultimate example is Jesus Christ.
However, in our fallen condition we are still in the battle - until we lay this body down - or - we are brought into the condition were all things are possible - even the translation.
Actually there is one instance in Scripture where the Church is approved by the Lord for hating (doctrine/deeds not a people)…

Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

The word  detest is stronger than  dislike but not as malevolent as  hate. This might be preferable most times.
Interestingly the Greek word for ‘hate’ in both cases is ‘miseō’ (μισέω) and in every translation (about 10 of them), that I looked at, it was rendered as ‘hate’ in both places.

Last edited:
Actually there is one instance in Scripture where the Church is approved by the Lord for hating (doctrine/deeds not a people)…

Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Agreed deeds can be very bad just as the use of guns can be very bad but there is nothing wrong with a gun itself.
But consider if we could really catch the revelation of who we are (as a Christian) and all the glory that goes with it, raising us to heights yet unknown we could not help but pity those stuck in the mire and loving it.
We could not have enemies because the trials of this life would seem like nothing compared to the glories we are in. Everything would be so far below us it would all be dissolved.

I believe hate should be towards the things that God hates. Yet God doesn't hate the way we humans experience or even percieve hate because He is holy and just.

We view it as something entirely different. We cannot be angry and not sin [there are so many emotions, thoughts, experiences, events, temptations and so forth from being angered]. Yet God's wrath is perfectly justified and holy in all it's form.

It is a very good post. As far as speech is concerned what we show outward comes from within. If we are careless with our words, sloppy speech, idle words, jestering in an ungodly manner, there are attitudes and motives that can manifest within that comes in the forms of using our tongue.

God wasn't joking when he said the power of life and death is in the power of the tongue. Spoken words have power whether one believes it is warrant as tightly or loosely as one speaks. The fact is - we need to guard our hearts, our mouths and learn to have self control [fruit of the spirit].

Who wants to have maggot mouth? When he says all things will be revealed and judged. Every thought, word and action. Flinging around words like "hate" and other idle things will be judged. God doesn't mince or do half truths. I think we do of great error trying to cut corners, and make excuses and say oh well society etc etc - we aren't taking about society. We are talking about God's Word and the expectation He has for us as followers of Christ. We need to set higher standards for ourselves and count the cost of following Jesus. If we truly love Him, we have no excuse not to be radical about life service that we dedicate our lives to God in every area and way of our lives. We get to express, demonstrate and exhibit the powerful transformation that God is doing in us. Why would you want to keep throwing words around if they are not pleasing, if they are not edifying, if they aren't encouraging, if it isn't pure or lovely or kind. I am an all or nothing, black or white.

I teach my girls to conduct themselves the same. Their speech should be fruitful. It should bring healing, rebuke, training, good news, prayer, edify and so forth. When someone doesn't have self control over their mouth, they are wheeling a very powerful weapon and it can cause so much damage to themselves and the people around them.

Back