Great Christian writings

Hello. Just wondering if you have read any works that you consider great Christian writings. Other than the bible.

I saw a list online and it goes like the below:

Of course, you might have your personal favorite that you consider to be great works. Maybe you can share with me what it is and what it's about and what's great about it.

Thanks.

MODERATOR'S CAUTION:
The link in this post goes to a website which sells goods or services or solicits donations or goes to a self promotion site. Members are advised to be wary of ANY such donation requests or sales and to research the group or individual making the request or sales and to PRAY before sending ANY donation or before purchasing any goods or services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Wan;

Where does one begin? There are so many good books on Christian writings. In my experience of studying some excellent Christian textbooks showed me that there are also many questionable Christian books.

The list you provide goes back to 2015. There have been many good books published since then.

In the list you provide, I read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis at seminary. C.S. Lewis' writing engages with the reader while teaching fundamental Christian teaching to the new or seasoned Believer.

Martin Luther 95 Theses is a good book on the foundation of the Reformation 1529. There was a lot of emphasis on plenary indulgence.

Martin Luther Three Treatise is a good history read of the corruption of the church and abuses of it's authority, the "Babylonian" capture of the church directed and criticizing the Catholic Church and emphasizes the freedom of Christianity and practice of faith.

Introduction to Biblical Interpretation by the combined authors William W. Klein, Craig L. Blomberg and Robert L. Hubbard, Jr. It's focus is the teaching of hermeneutics and development of interpretation. It was a challenging study but well worth gained knowledge.

There was one textbook with a compilation of the early church fathers and their background. I can't remember the title but was key in my Finals seminary paper back in 2019.

There are so many Christian institutes that have their list of best Christian books. But I respect the opinion of the Christian History Institute.

God bless you, Wan, and thank you for sharing this interesting topic.

Bob

Hello Wan,
I have been reading a series of small books written by the early Christian Patriarchs and published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.

I recently finished, “On the Incarnation” by Athanasius. I don’t know if it’s for everyone, but I found it fascinating and insightful.

The preface by C.S. Lewis alone is worth the read, and the book itself sheds light on the thinking and intentions of the councils of Nicaea and Constantinople among other things.

I am now reading a book compiled from the writings of St. Gregory of Nazianzus, “On God and Christ” from the same publisher.

For those interested in exploring early church theology these, and others in the series, are easily available on Amazon.

God bless you in your search.

Hello Wan,
I have been reading a series of small books written by the early Christian Patriarchs and published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press.

I recently finished, “On the Incarnation” by Athanasius. I don’t know if it’s for everyone, but I found it fascinating and insightful.

The preface by C.S. Lewis alone is worth the read, and the book itself sheds light on the thinking and intentions of the councils of Nicaea and Constantinople among other things.

I am now reading a book compiled from the writings of St. Gregory of Nazianzus, “On God and Christ” from the same publisher.

For those interested in exploring early church theology these, and others in the series, are easily available on Amazon.

God bless you in your search.

Hello blueskies;

Thank you for sharing books you have studied. I hope we can share our thoughts more from our reading and how this has impacted our personal growth in Christ.

God bless you, brother and your family.

Luther: The Heidelberg disputation (1518) with proofs.
Bunyan: Holy War
J. Gresham Machen: Liberalism or Christianity
Spurgeon: Treasury of David (Psalms devotional)
Currently reading, Christ is All; No Sanctification by the Law by David H.J. Gay

Last edited:
I recently finished, On the Incarnation” by Athanasius. I don’t know if it’s for everyone, but I found it fascinating and insightful.
Luther: The Heidelberg disputation (1518) with proofs.

Hello blueskies and crossnote;

I was challenged by the backgrounds of the Church Fathers. At first it gave me the impression of huge disagreements between theologians (Athanasius defender of the Trinity) and historians (Eusebius who maintained a huge portion of Christian history.) But when we take a piece from each theologian we begin to understand the Christian doctrine but also the origins and differences that define denominations between Churches.

I have always been fascinated by Martin Luther, his history when he was with an Augustinian priest (which I believe God put Luther there) to question and expose the doctrine of Catholicism that led to the Reformation.

God bless you, both.

At first it gave me the impression of huge disagreements between theologians
Hi bobinfaith,
One takeaway,
In reading the Patriarchs, I was struck by the fact of how the differences have not been resolved in the last 1,500 to 1,700 years. In fact the “church” seems more fractious and divided now than during the time of the church fathers.
Despite the sometimes extreme differences in theology, at one time, people generally believed there was one church, now I think few would believe this to be true.

Hello crossnote and blueskies;

I agree that many differences did not get resolved in the last 1700 years. What I do find interesting is despite unresolve between the early Church fathers and the hope of one united church, there was still an outcome, lessons and positive evidence of the Christian foundation that carried through to where we are today.

This may be a bland statement but text books, electronic Kindles, Nooks, audio and video on Church history, it's devastations and Spiritual prosperity helps us understand the past and today, as we continue in our own personal walk and growth with Jesus, and what we can do to introduce the lost to Him.

God bless you, brothers.

Bob

I so appreciate Charles James Rolls books on the Names and Titles of the Lord Jesus Christ. There are 5 in the series. You can get some second hand as I think they are out of print.

1. The Indescribable Christ. (A - G)

2. The World`s Greatest Name. (H - K)

3. Time` s Noblest Name. (L - O)

4. The Name Above All Names. (P - S)

5. His Glorious Name. (T - Z)

The Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan

It's an allegory. It's about a Christian's journey to the next life and is metaphorical and spiritual. John Bunyan wrote it while he was in prison...for being a Christian.
It was first published in 1678 and been translated in over 200 languages all over the world.

Back