God's Word ----all or part?

Hi Major,
I guess I should have worded this better.
What I am saying is God does not change His word. If He said do not judge then do not judge is what He means. I am talking about things such as,
Mark 11:25.....example......we are told when we pray we must forgive any aught and peoploe tend to claim that is not what God means or you cant expect God to expect you tyo forgive what so and so has done.

It is things like this that I am seeing a lot of. Picking a plan that works best for you.
That will never fly and they cry out to God mad because they do not see God working much in their lives. Duh !! They want a NO-Fault Religion where it is never their fault and it must be Gods will because He did not do what I wanted or you know God He works in mysterious ways and one never knows what God is going to do.

It is that kind of cracker jack walk in Christ I am talking about.
Blessings my Friend ! ; )
Jim

I understand Jim but we all (especially me) remember that we are now living in the days described in 2 Tim. 4:3-5........
"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

I agree Major. In addition, I think the motivating reasons behind that is pride and fear. Pride because we think that we know better due to years of learning and experience, or just some favoured position. Fear, because of how we might look in front of people if we are proved wrong or what it might cost us if we accept this new truth. There is also pride in that fear because it takes humility to admit you are wrong and to be able to think and act in a different way because of it.

Absolutely correct!!!

This is a perfect example of the consequences of The Secular World administering the Things of God.... and why Jesus put a prohibition on such "Give unto Caesar the things of Caesar, give unto God the things of God"

Remember that teaching bible in schools has been a facet of our SECULAR educational system in "The West" for well over 1,000 years - up until nominally 1970 in some places in the USA - the late 1980's in other places in the USA..... While it had some good consequences - it also had some very bad consequences....

There are/were a LOT of people who were very good "At bible" who didn't BELIEVE a lick of it... BUT - they were talented at translation, history, or at textual criticism or just "Gifted" at studying and writing papers..... Those people went on to get PHD's in "Divinity", translation, textual criticism, old testament studies, new testament studies, and the rest.... They worked their way into influential positions in seminarys, universities, leadership in big church denominations, etc... All the while - not believing a lick of it... This is not a NEW thing - it's been going on for over 1,000 years....

I would venture to say that now - since Bible is NOT taught in public schools, and the Secular world viewing "Divinity" and "Religious education" as more or less worthless - that we are seeing far fewer people coming out of Secular public education who are "Good at the bible" going on to pursue the "Secular Bible Research" track at Secular universities.... and as such - we will see the sheer volume of such publishing going way down..... Unfortunately - we still have this gigantic bulk of literature written in times past by these fellows to contend with... and it is a monumental task to sift the "Wheat from the chaff" so to speak...

Now, though - we are seeing that the "Tail end" of these fellows who came from Secular public school bible teaching programs are now hitting their prime... They are at "The Top" of the field currently - and it will take another 20-40 years for them to retire/die out.... Since they are at the top - they are the ones who write the text books, and they are the ones who get to referee peer reiewed publication and qualify PHD candidates...

As such - we aren't really out of the woods yet.... but we are starting to move in that direction...

"The mill of God grinds slow - but it grinds exceedingly fine"....

Are you sure about the 1000 year thing? The USA is only about 300 years old. (1776. I learned that in school by the way).

The Bible was not printed and made available until around 1650 I think in England. What WEST are you referring to?

The reading of the Bible and prayer was stopped in 1964 by then president Lydon B. Johnson.

I must disagree with your opinion. I am actually stunned that you would suggest that young men and women should not want to grow and learn in Christianity. Religious education is something I no nothing about but as for Christian Education it is wonderful. Men and women with Christian degrees and degrees in Divinity are doing more than ever before.

Reactions: Juk
Are you sure about the 1000 year thing? The USA is only about 300 years old. (1776. I learned that in school by the way).

The Bible was not printed and made available until around 1650 I think in England. What WEST are you referring to?

The reading of the Bible and prayer was stopped in 1964 by then president Lydon B. Johnson.

I must disagree with your opinion. I am actually stunned that you would suggest that young men and women should not want to grow and learn in Christianity. Religious education is something I no nothing about but as for Christian Education it is wonderful. Men and women with Christian degrees and degrees in Divinity are doing more than ever before.

Work with me here man.... Christianity became the "Official State Religion" of the Roman Empire around what - 380 AD or so... and "Official State Religion" means that if you want a Government Job or look good to The public - you have to nominally "Practice" it.... Priests were paid by Rome - good paying Government job with benefits... Parents send their kids to school to go be a priest/religious professional so they can go "Earn a respectable living"... That's pretty much been the norm till what - 50 years ago or so in the USA... Still true to some respects in much of South America, Europe, and The UK.......

I strongly believe our young kids really have an incredible need to learn about God and His ways.. but they need to learn this from US - The Believers... Not the Secular authorities.... I AM very strongly against the Secular world administering and declaring "The Things of God" - they have no authority to do this and they make a complete mess of it - often times intentionally... I mean, seriously - look at the mess the public schools make with revisionist History - do you really want THEM doing The Bible?

Thanks

I understand Jim but we all (especially me) remember that we are now living in the days described in 2 Tim. 4:3-5........
"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

Brother that is nothing new. People have been living like this all along. It is just now a days people asre using this as a crutch. You know set in their ways and do not want to learn anythng new. ; )
Blessings

I think the whole university system is humanistic. Even the theology degrees are taught by unbelievers.
Even bible colleges teach in a way that does ppls heads in. Not all, but many. There is a bible college just up the road from me.
Me and some friends went there to read the bible.
This is what I found - a librarian there who was an unbeliever, people who would rather you enrol in counselling than pray for you, exorbitant fees, a cafe that didnt turn down its loud obnoxious 'christian' rock music even when asked politely, a graduate who after completing his divinity degree couldnt even find a teaching job and took his life, debates instead of Bible being read and taught. And students smoking.

It used to be known as the bible college but then changed its name to its founder...in attempt to cater to the non believers I suppose.

I think the whole university system is humanistic. Even the theology degrees are taught by unbelievers.
Even bible colleges teach in a way that does ppls heads in. Not all, but many. There is a bible college just up the road from me.
Me and some friends went there to read the bible.
This is what I found - a librarian there who was an unbeliever, people who would rather you enrol in counselling than pray for you, exorbitant fees, a cafe that didnt turn down its loud obnoxious 'christian' rock music even when asked politely, a graduate who after completing his divinity degree couldnt even find a teaching job and took his life, debates instead of Bible being read and taught. And students smoking.

So kind of like saying just another campus in this world. Sad !

I couldnt find a KJV bible anywhere. Maybe they were all out but you'd think theyd have a reference copy or something on permanent display.

It used to be known as the bible college but then changed its name to its founder...in attempt to cater to the non believers I suppose.

I have seen many ministries over time start putting one mans name on everything and not giving glory to God and in time it just fades away and disapears......

Brother that is nothing new. People have been living like this all along. It is just now a days people asre using this as a crutch. You know set in their ways and do not want to learn anythng new. ; )
Blessings

Can you define what you mean by ........" do not want to learn anythng new".?

What are you really trying to say to us???

Work with me here man.... Christianity became the "Official State Religion" of the Roman Empire around what - 380 AD or so... and "Official State Religion" means that if you want a Government Job or look good to The public - you have to nominally "Practice" it.... Priests were paid by Rome - good paying Government job with benefits... Parents send their kids to school to go be a priest/religious professional so they can go "Earn a respectable living"... That's pretty much been the norm till what - 50 years ago or so in the USA... Still true to some respects in much of South America, Europe, and The UK.......

I strongly believe our young kids really have an incredible need to learn about God and His ways.. but they need to learn this from US - The Believers... Not the Secular authorities.... I AM very strongly against the Secular world administering and declaring "The Things of God" - they have no authority to do this and they make a complete mess of it - often times intentionally... I mean, seriously - look at the mess the public schools make with revisionist History - do you really want THEM doing The Bible?

Thanks

OK...I certainly will. I agree totally with you. I was just questioning your time line of 1000 years in the west.
That would mean you are referring to the Catholic Church who was in charge not the Orthodox church. That was my point.

What you are described is the Roman Catholic Church. They and only they had the Bible which was produced in Latin so that only the priests could read it.

Orthodox Christians and Catholics viewed the era from opposing perspectives. Orthodox Christians regarded this time as a period of Catholic corruption; they repudiated the ways of the Catholic Church with its papal doctrines and hierarchy. Orthodox Christians strove to recreate a pure Christianity, void of these “dark” Catholic ways. Catholics did not view this era as “dark.” Catholics viewed this period as a harmonious, productive religious era. -
(http://www.allabouthistory.org/the-dark-ages.htm#sthash.)

They had all the other kinds just not the KJV. They had a big library. Me and some friends wanted to pray and read the bible there, but, it seems they didnt really have a space for us to do that, and also, their cafe was way too noisy. The loud music.

Also it seems, anyone who doesnt study there isnt welcome. Like nobody from the general public can just walk in, you need visitor tags.

A shame, cos, even though the founder was christian, he didnt build the campus just to put his name on it. Hes no longer with us...they changed it after he passed on.
Growing up, always knew it as the bible college, cos thats what it was called.
Now they expanded it, called it something else, cos I think they have counselling and teaching, in addition to ministry and theology.

Back