God's statements about Job

I finished reading through the book of Job last night. I found many of his emotionally driven comments about God (he argued that God was unfair and uncaring) apaulling, and a lot (not all, but a lot) of the statements made by his three friends (they argued that God is fair and just) seemed right to me.
But in the last chapter, after Elihu, and then God, speak to Job, Job says that he repents of what he said. The word for "repent" there is the Hebrew nâcham Gwhich means to be sorry ( Job 42:1-6 ). When God is finished with Job, He turns His attention to the three friends and says

"My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends, because you have not spoken of Me what is right as My servant Job has." -- Job 42:7

Maybe I'm overlooking something that's obvious to others. Job basically called God cruel and unloving, then was sorry he said it. Job's friends, though they were incorrect on some things, claimed that God is good. But God said Job spoke right about Him, and that His three friends did not.

What am I missing here? Things don't look quite right.

I finished reading through the book of Job last night. I found many of his emotionally driven comments about God (he argued that God was unfair and uncaring) apaulling, and a lot (not all, but a lot) of the statements made by his three friends (they argued that God is fair and just) seemed right to me.
But in the last chapter, after Elihu, and then God, speak to Job, Job says that he repents of what he said. The word for "repent" there is the Hebrew nâcham Gwhich means to be sorry ( Job 42:1-6 ). When God is finished with Job, He turns His attention to the three friends and says

"My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends, because you have not spoken of Me what is right as My servant Job has." -- Job 42:7

Maybe I'm overlooking something that's obvious to others. Job basically called God cruel and unloving, then was sorry he said it. Job's friends, though they were incorrect on some things, claimed that God is good. But God said Job spoke right about Him, and that His three friends did not.

What am I missing here? Things don't look quite right.

Actually things are perfectly right.

May I suggest you read the book of Job again. Believe me, you will see things you didn't the first read, and you will interpret things differently the second read through, and hopefully the penny will drop for you.

And as you read it the second time through, keep in mind that they gave their own advise not God's from His Word. They also tried to make themselves seem wise and upright at Job's expense.

Prov 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. And 16:25 says the same.

Prov 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the hearts. And 16:2 is similar.

Good advise and Godly advise are not the same thing. Good can come from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and is a mixed source. Only the good words from the Word are acceptable, from the only one who is good, God the Almighty.

It is showing us the kind of advice and "wisdom" that is not from God, but is from man's sinful flesh. Job's friends didn't say what God says. It is simply recording what what said by them.

They all had many misunderstandings about God, and didn't accurately portray Him.

It is showing us the kind of things to NOT believe about how God is.

Job's friends and even his own wife did not give Godly advice, if they had God would have said listen to your friends. Those words were recorded in scripture to show us how not to respond when someone is hurting.

In a nutshell, they are giving good advice but not godly advice, and good advice and Godly advice is not always the same.

Understand now?

MT has it pretty right. I read it the first time around thinking the same thing you did, Mr. Black. It really seemed like his friends were describing God the way we do. But, then we have to remember, they were basing EVERYTHING they said on Job's prosperity and then on his lack of it. According to their logic, when he was rich, he was righteous, but because he lost everything, then God must be punishing him for his unrighteousness. But Job knew the law, and knew he was faithful to the law. He begged God to show him where he had transgressed the law. He wasn't trying to justify himself, he just couldn't figure out what he might have done that required repentance. His friends had given him good, worldly advice, but not wise, Godly advice.

Ohhh, ok.
Yeah, as I look through it again I'm starting to see what you're saying.

Thanks you two. You've been a good help.
smile.png

During those times, ie. the period of old testament(-s), satan has had internal power like a god, and this is written exactly in the book of Job, there at the beginning where satan and God talk among themselves. And namely this is the reason becasue of that Job make difference between the Good God and the bad(ie satan), but the three sages have been wrong because they have not make Correctly (the) difference between the true God and satan.
After his death on the cross, Jesus changed this, because God removes by Him the inner power of satan, and he(ie satan) has been expelled outside, and namely this is the reason because of that now we live in more Peace from then.

John 12:31 "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."

The best in the faith is when the things (there) are as possible more/most Reduced/Simplified:

Mark 4:31-32 "It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth: But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it.(ie when the faith is the smallest, ie the most Reduced/Simplified, then is (the) Best)",

Matthew 17:20 "for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain(ie unto all the spirit of "darkness"), Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.",

1 Corinthians 1:27-28 "But(in the spiritual/religious plan/aspect/regard) God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:",

1 Corinthians 3:18-23 "Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this(ie by/from the religion of this) world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom(ie the religion) of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness(ie the wise is inperfect/unclean). And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain(ie futile). Therefore let no man glory in men(ie let (the) believers do not follow human glory/religion). For all things are your's(because anyway God has prepared all the Good Things for you); Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's(ie anyway all the Good is your's); And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.",

1 Corinthians 8:1-3 "Now as touching things offered unto idols(ie about the human religion/spirituality), we know that we all have knowledge(ie seems we have the necessary knowledge for to solve this problem). Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him."

Back