Genesis Clues

Yeh just like a school kid..." I know you are but what am I."

What I will do is IGNORE you from now on and put you on my list. What I can't see won't bother me.

There are those antagonistic to theism who argue that would make God a liar and a deceiver, based on the idea of a young creation.

How can God be a liar or deceiver when he clearly told us what He had done. Just because an atheist doesn't believe Him doesn't change that.

How can God be a liar or deceiver when he clearly told us what He had done. Just because an atheist doesn't believe Him doesn't change that.

Amen, and ONLY atheists don't understand that, but how could they? I actually have fun with atheists. They get so indignant about our faith. :cool:

Has anyone seen the comparison made between Genesis and scientific data, it is surprisingly accurate, or should I say unsurprisingly. :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ve5_N4JCZp7G6YKQsrvdJF51nfpVTMwt4kyUETnJvfE/edit

I do not believe in the day-age theory. God said six days, and six days it was.

No scientist was there and as such the creation of the heavens and the earth are not subject to scientific scrutiny. Man can guess based on observations made now, but God was there and explained what happened in language we can understand.

I highly recommend 'The Genesis Flood' by Morris & Whitcomb. It presents a clear case for Noah's Flood generating all the current surface features on the earth. And as the reason for fossils.

I do not believe in the day-age theory. God said six days, and six days it was.

No scientist was there and as such the creation of the heavens and the earth are not subject to scientific scrutiny. Man can guess based on observations made now, but God was there and explained what happened in language we can understand.

I highly recommend 'The Genesis Flood' by Morris & Whitcomb. It presents a clear case for Noah's Flood generating all the current surface features on the earth. And as the reason for fossils.

Wouldn't it be a waste of time reading a book on the flood as no scientists were there were they. :D

The book offers an alternative theory to the current one used by geologists to justify evolution.

Well then, why don't we let scripture interpret scripture?

When the Israelites spoke of the 'whole earth' it was their earth, for example we read in Exodus 10:5 that a plague of Locusts "covered the face of the whole earth." Plainly the locusts did not cover the whole globe, they only covered a limited land of Egypt.

We read in Numbers 22:5,11 that after the Israelites were delivered from Egypt and settled in Canaan the scripture says they "Covered the face of the earth." This is simply their way of saying they occupied the land in which they were dwelling.

When Cain went to the Land of Nod the Bible says "Behold thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth." (Gen 4:14)

When the devil tempted Jesus he took him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. The kingdoms of the world were what they could see i.e. local. (Matthew 4:8)

The same idiom is used to describe the Israelite conquest of Canaan,
Deut 2:25 This day I will begin to put the dread and fear of you on the peoples who are under the whole heaven, who shall hear the report of you and shall tremble and be in anguish because of you. Incas and Inuit weren't trembling in anguish, it was the people in the region, Canaanites Moabites and Edomites.

My point was stick to what the Bible tells us and let the Holy Spirit work the apologetics angle. When well meaning persons add their own wisdom to the Holy Scriptures it is no wonder there is fun all round, but no winners.

I too disagree with the day-age theory .....that is not what the scriptures teach.

Well then, why don't we let scripture interpret scripture?

When the Israelites spoke of the 'whole earth' it was their earth, for example we read in Exodus 10:5 that a plague of Locusts "covered the face of the whole earth." Plainly the locusts did not cover the whole globe, they only covered a limited land of Egypt.

We read in Numbers 22:5,11 that after the Israelites were delivered from Egypt and settled in Canaan the scripture says they "Covered the face of the earth." This is simply their way of saying they occupied the land in which they were dwelling.

When Cain went to the Land of Nod the Bible says "Behold thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth." (Gen 4:14)

When the devil tempted Jesus he took him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. The kingdoms of the world were what they could see i.e. local. (Matthew 4:8)

The same idiom is used to describe the Israelite conquest of Canaan,
Deut 2:25 This day I will begin to put the dread and fear of you on the peoples who are under the whole heaven, who shall hear the report of you and shall tremble and be in anguish because of you. Incas and Inuit weren't trembling in anguish, it was the people in the region, Canaanites Moabites and Edomites.

The verses you quote don't use "the whole earth". They say "the whole land".
What makes you think Satan did not show Jesus the spiritual side of all the kingdoms of the world? After all that is what Satan controls.
Learning to properly understand the style used in ANY scripture is key, but NOT hard. Only when people try to get extremely literal with ALL scripture do they run into problems. Obviously some words and phrases are used based on what the writers understood at the time. A knowledge of Greek and Hebrew is important to understand the Bible, but not really needed as we have very reliable modern English translations and MOST of us understand context.

What makes you think Satan did not show Jesus the spiritual side of all the kingdoms of the world? After all that is what Satan controls.
Learning to properly understand the style used in ANY scripture is key, but NOT hard. Only when people try to get extremely literal with ALL scripture do they run into problems. Obviously some words and phrases are used based on what the writers understood at the time. A knowledge of Greek and Hebrew is important to understand the Bible, but not really needed as we have very reliable modern English translations and MOST of us understand context.
Stan, you argue against yourself.........again!:ROFLMAO:
Your posts in this thread are the only ones which quote verses.................no one else's:ROFLMAO:
But you're ignoring me so you wont be reading this unless you have the proverbial bifurcate tongue(n)

Well Stan, whether it is land or earth you will have to take that up with the translators, it certainly isn't countries and neither is it world, as you say context is very important and the farmers I know always speak of their farm as the land and compared to the size of the globe it is like a grain of sand which puts it into context. I am sure Noah never went to the north and south poles to collect the polar bears and penguins etc and the American continent wasn't even known. Considering context still further the Israelites are clearly speaking about their own land. If the famine had covered the whole world Joseph would not have been able to supply his family with grain. Something else you need to take up with the translators is the word 'yom' which means a period of time

afternoon* (1), age (8), age* (1), all (1), always* (14), amount* (2), battle (1), birthday* (1), Chronicles* (38), completely* (1), continually* (14), course* (1), daily (22), daily the days (1), day (1115), day of the days (1), day that the period (1), day's (6), day's every day (1), daylight* (1), days (635), days on the day (1), days to day (1), days you shall daily (1), days ago (1), days' (11), each (1), each day (4), entire (2), eternity (1), evening* (1), ever in your life* (1), every day (2), fate (1), first (5), forever* (11), forevermore* (1), full (5), full year (1), future* (1), holiday* (3), later* (2), length (1), life (12), life* (1), lifetime (2), lifetime* (1), live (1), long (2), long as i live (1), long* (11), midday* (1), now (5), older* (1), once (2), period (3), perpetually* (2), present (1), recently (1), reigns (1), ripe* (1), short-lived* (1), so long* (1), some time (1), survived* (2), time (45), time* (1), times* (2), today (172), today* (1), usual (1), very old* (1), when (10), when the days (1), whenever (1), while (3), whole (2), year (10), yearly (5), years (13), yesterday* (1).

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remains unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which grows for you out of the field:

American King James Version
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remains to you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which grows for you out of the field:

American Standard Version
and they shall cover the face of the earth, so that one shall not be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

Douay-Rheims Bible
To cover the face of the earth that nothing thereof may appear, but that which the hail hath left may be eaten: for they shall feed upon all the trees that spring in the fields.

English Revised Version
and they shall cover the face of the earth, that one shall not be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

Webster's Bible Translation
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which hath escaped, which remaineth to you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

World English Bible
and they shall cover the surface of the earth, so that one won't be able to see the earth. They shall eat the residue of that which has escaped, which remains to you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which grows for you out of the field.

Well Stan, whether it is land or earth you will have to take that up with the translators, it certainly isn't countries and neither is it world, as you say context is very important and the farmers I know always speak of their farm as the land and compared to the size of the globe it is like a grain of sand which puts it into context. I am sure Noah never went to the north and south poles to collect the polar bears and penguins etc and the American continent wasn't even known to them. Considering context still further the Israelites are clearly speaking about their own land. If the famine had covered the whole world Joseph would not have been able to supply his family with grain. Something else you need to take up with the translators is the word 'yom' which means a period of time

afternoon* (1), age (8), age* (1), all (1), always* (14), amount* (2), battle (1), birthday* (1), Chronicles* (38), completely* (1), continually* (14), course* (1), daily (22), daily the days (1), day (1115), day of the days (1), day that the period (1), day's (6), day's every day (1), daylight* (1), days (635), days on the day (1), days to day (1), days you shall daily (1), days ago (1), days' (11), each (1), each day (4), entire (2), eternity (1), evening* (1), ever in your life* (1), every day (2), fate (1), first (5), forever* (11), forevermore* (1), full (5), full year (1), future* (1), holiday* (3), later* (2), length (1), life (12), life* (1), lifetime (2), lifetime* (1), live (1), long (2), long as i live (1), long* (11), midday* (1), now (5), older* (1), once (2), period (3), perpetually* (2), present (1), recently (1), reigns (1), ripe* (1), short-lived* (1), so long* (1), some time (1), survived* (2), time (45), time* (1), times* (2), today (172), today* (1), usual (1), very old* (1), when (10), when the days (1), whenever (1), while (3), whole (2), year (10), yearly (5), years (13), yesterday* (1).

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remains unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which grows for you out of the field:

American King James Version
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remains to you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which grows for you out of the field:

American Standard Version
and they shall cover the face of the earth, so that one shall not be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

Douay-Rheims Bible
To cover the face of the earth that nothing thereof may appear, but that which the hail hath left may be eaten: for they shall feed upon all the trees that spring in the fields.

English Revised Version
and they shall cover the face of the earth, that one shall not be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

Webster's Bible Translation
And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which hath escaped, which remaineth to you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field:

World English Bible
and they shall cover the surface of the earth, so that one won't be able to see the earth. They shall eat the residue of that which has escaped, which remains to you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which grows for you out of the field.

I don't have a problem with the translators of the modern English Bibles I use.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 10:5&version=NIV;HCSB;NASB;NRSV;NLT

I don't have a problem with the translators of the modern English Bibles I use.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 10:5&version=NIV;HCSB;NASB;NRSV;NLT

The problem is context and that is what we need to apply. Whether it is land or earth the locust did not cover the whole globe, for one thing locust only survive in a certain climate and if locust covered the whole globe there would have been total annihilation of the human race.

It is like you or me saying, "Where in the world have I put my keys?"

The problem is context and that is what we need to apply. Whether it is land or earth the locust did not cover the whole globe, for one thing locust only survive in a certain climate and if locust covered the whole globe there would have been total annihilation of the human race.

It is like you or me saying, "Where in the world have I put my keys?"

Exactly, so if you use a modern English translation you will get the proper context that is conveyed in the Greek texts, without having to become a Greek scholar.

Exactly, so if you use a modern English translation you will get the proper context that is conveyed in the Greek texts, without having to become a Greek scholar.

If you think about it Stan you will realise the flood covered the same land as the locust.

Not really germane to the OP or this issue.

It is in a way it is germane to the OP because so much depends on our understanding of scripture, for example if I told you that the parents of Cain and Able were not the first people ever and there were other people beside them what would you say? Read Genesis 4 before you reply and tell me what the people were doing.

It is in a way it is germane to the OP because so much depends on our understanding of scripture, for example if I told you that the parents of Cain and Able were not the first people ever and there were other people beside them what would you say? Read Genesis 4 before you reply and tell me what the people were doing.

That may be how YOU read it but the fact is NOT every second of every day is accounted for.The fact that Adam and Eve lived so long and had so many children and doesn't say what the ages were of Cain and Able when Able died just opens up scripture to conjecture. The human race was very pure then and the laws about inter marrying didn't comer into play until Leviticus. It was between 6 and 10 millenia prior to Leviticus being written. That's a lot of people.

That may be how YOU read it but the fact is NOT every second of every day is accounted for.The fact that Adam and Eve lived so long and had so many children and doesn't say what the ages were of Cain and Able when Able died just opens up scripture to conjecture. The human race was very pure then and the laws about inter marrying didn't comer into play until Leviticus. It was between 6 and 10 millenia prior to Leviticus being written. That's a lot of people.

Genesis chapter 4
"13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive (who was he hiding from if there weren't other people?) and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. (Other people+ death penalty for murder = a legal system, this was a sophisticated society.)
15 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him. (Other people)
16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD (meaning they were pagans), and dwelt in the land of Nod (this was the Kenite tribe - Jewish Encyclopaedia) on the east of Eden. The father-in-law of Moses was from this tribe, but that was much later.
17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. (Cain had a wife who wasn't his mother, they were building walled cities which is dating evidence, cities were built for people and walled cities were built for defence against other people and other nations.)
18And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
19And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
20And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle. (They were tent dwellers, our ancestors were cave dwellers and they were farmers rather than their ancestors who were hunter gatherers. Cain was a farmer and Able was a shepherd)
21And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ. (Early man did not have sophisticated musical instruments, neither could they make fire.)
22And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructor of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah. (Brass and iron, early man used stone tools, this is the bronze age.)

Back