Gaza Christian Bookstore Director Murdered

Dusty

Inactive

A Gaza Christian man who was the director of an all-Christian bookstore was found murdered on Sunday, October 7, after he vanished the day before. The attack came after the ministry associated with the bookstore, the Palestinian Bible Society, was bombed earlier this year. There are 2,500 Christians living in Gaza.

The Christian, 32-year-old Rami Khader Ayyad, had received death threats prior to the attack, during which it is reported that he was stabbed and shot. His death is not the first incident of violence toward Christians in Gaza, as an elderly woman was beaten with a club and sharp objects the month prior.

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh condemned the attack. Nonetheless, according to Justus Weiner of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, Hamas is either incapable or disinterested in preventing religious violence. Weiner, author of “Human Rights of Christians in Palestinian Society,†said that it is difficult to prove what Hamas’s role in the situation is.

“That’s the classic situation of religious-inspired violence and terrorism. It’s very hard to come up with evidence as to who is actually behind it. There are two possibilities, one is it is Hamas, and one is that it’s other Muslim militants or fanatics who Hamas is doing little or nothing to stop,†said Weiner.

Weiner said persecution against Christians goes on in the West Bank (Judea and Samaria) as well. Weiner said he would be impressed if the Israeli government would raise the issue in meetings with Palestinian leaders and “emphasize that this is unacceptable.†He also thought foreign governments that fund the Palestinians should take up the concern. “I’d like to see human rights and religious freedom be at or near the top of their agendas, because they have leverage,†he said.

(By Joshua Spurlock, BFP Israel Mosaic Radio, October 8, 2007)

Prayer Focus
Pray that the peace that passes all understanding will keep the hearts and minds of these often forgotten Palestinian Christians in Gaza. Pray especially that the Lord will give comfort, protection, and provision for Ayyad’s widow and children.

Scripture
“Bow down Your ear, O LORD, hear me; for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am holy; You are my God; save Your servant who trusts in You!†(Psalm 86:1–2).

I grieve for His family and rejoice for heavens gain.

Back