Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Environmental Issues' started by Ride4theSon, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Lucky for us in (Aus) it keeps going down all the time...Best time to have a car when i actually don't lol...

When i was back in nz a few months ago we were paying almost $2.30/L which is no joke honestly. I don't know what the prices might be there now, probably gone up the ladder :eek:

jake

2. Here they went from almost $4.00 per gallon to a low of $1.50. I think this is temporary and I am looking for a big bounce in the future.

3. As of commodity market close on Dec. 18, the per-barrel price of oil was $35.97. That SHOULD translate to a USA per gallon price for unleaded 87 octane gasoline of $ 1.54 .

However, the prices in some local areas are being kept artifically high by greedy local gasoline distributors... a practice that is being looked into by the Attorney's General in many states right now.

The WHOLESALE dealer to dealer price of 87 octane gasoline today is .98 cents per gallon. Add state and local taxes to that figure plus a 6 percent mandatory markup, and that should give you what the local gasoline price SHOULD be. Anything higher than that is greed.

4. As of today $99.5/L unleaded petrol...

Jake

5. The best price I have seen so far is $1.39 per gallon.:)

6. In the UK petrol prices are dropping now which is really good they are lower than they havbe been in about 2 years, but gas that you use at home is still rising and people are getting really angry that the goverment let it happen as they dont say how much money the gas companys can add on for home gas.

7. Some natural gas is pre-purchased as much as 6 months out in order to make sure the proper quantities are available so it follows that cost adjustments are going to take longer. I am hearing that folks in my area can expect that decrease to start showing up on their next bill.

8. Well as of today our gas prices have risen considerably and they are blaming it all on the war in the Middle East . I can't see what that has to do with it . Just another excuse to raise the price.

9. Stockpiling Oil

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stockpiling oil is one way of running the price up. They're doing it again. China is stockpiling oil - I guess it is a better investment than buying US securities. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]China is accelerating [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]its own SPR[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]China has strategic storage for 102 million barrels of crude oil. And it recently completed construction of four oil-reserve bases — together representing the first phase of its strategic oil-reserve plan. What’s more, the Chinese are pushing ahead with the construction of the second phase, which could store an additional 170 million barrels.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to The Wall Street Journal, China has added about 25 million barrels of crude to its reserves since August, and should add another 19 million barrels in the next few months. [/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can bullish forces overcome 25 tankers with 50 million barrels of crude aboard?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It’s hard to see how even these four bullish forces could overcome 50 million barrels of oil floating at sea … but you can’t argue with the price action. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If oil continues to rally we could see it rise to $55 … $62 … even $73 a barrel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So who will win — the bears or the bulls? Or in this crazy market … is the answer “both”?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SOURCE[/FONT]

10. Here we go again...
    Last week gas was $1.87 on Friday it went to $1.97 and this morning it was $2.07.

11. Other than corporate greed, there is no reason for the per-gallon pump price to be more than $1.61 USD at this time. The barrel price of crude is STILL below $40.00 USD today as it has been for several days. There is a time lag on pump pricing, but at this time, the distributors seem to be holding the prices to the individual service stations artificially high.

Deplorable. :mad:

12. It's $1.54 by me, the cheapest I saw it these last few months was $1.37.

13. Here is an update on the oil situation. Sooner or later they ae going to run out of storage space. From then on the price should continue to slide some more - I hope.

Larry II

UPDATE

14. Something for Christians to remember...there's always another angle. My husband, two of my sons and their wives all work in the oil/gas industry. My two sons and their wives just lost all work they had (they're contract) because of the extremely low price of oil and natural gas. We were never happy over the extremely high prices that caused so much grief to others. I know it's hard to think about how everything affects others.

15. Low prices will also stop shale oil production and also drilling operations all of which will affect the supply in the future. This will contribute to another cycle of high prices.

My hope still remains in cheap fusion power. After all the years of work it has to come about sometime in the future. It's just a matter of developing the technology. That would solve the world's energy problems. But that's not here nor there as yet.

16. Ive just read through a lot of this post and i cant believe there are people complaining over paying $4 for a gallon of petrol! I wish i was paying that.
    In the UK, depending on the value of the dollar at the time, we pay in the region of $9 a gallon.. oh and thats when its cheap.

During the recent price hike in fuel out petrol went to £1.30 a litre for diesel... that works out to (if theres 4.5 litres in a gallon) about $12 dollars a gallon, give or take a few cents when the pound is not so badly devalued.

I have to have a small car because theres no way we could afford a big one, and our government has decided to slap an enormous tax on anyone that has a big car, the car companies cant get rid of big cars for love nor money now as they are going to be costing something in the region of $1500 - $2000 just to keep them legal with road tax, and thats before the insurance and petrol costs.

So economically we have to buy smaller cars that use less fuel. Which is great, unless your driving for hours every day like my husband does - small cars are not comfortable for motorways :(

17. darkembers, I often wonder too, how some people manage to get work done when restricted to small vehicles.

We have small vehicles over here as well, and most people have gone to them for the very reasons you mentioned, efficiency over comfort and safety.

But aside from the comfort and safety of a larger vehicle, it fascinates me to think of farmers and rural people getting by with small vehicles. Most small "pick-up trucks" would fit in the bed of mine. If I were to buy one, I would have to make two or more trips for every one trip I make now. (Not to mention getting stuck all the time.)

I hardly see that as being fuel efficient. It seems to me that taxing the larger vehicles is like cutting off ones nose to spite their face.

We face the same rediculous bureaucracy here though. For example, my truck got 16mpg brand new. I modified it and get 24mpg. By "modified" I mean I took off all of the stuff the government makes the manufacturers put on. :rolleyes:

$12.00 a gallon would wipe me out though. I have dual tanks (38 gallons) that's $456.00 per fill up. One full weeks pay.
    Youch!! :eek:

Yesterday I filled up at $1.79 per gallon. :cool:

18. If i was a gas company owner, i suppose i'd feel different but since im just a regular person, im with everybody else.

Bring down the gas prices and make everybody happy :)

19. We had a full size Chevy Silverado before when the gas prices began to rise. At first we didn't think they would sky rocket, so we made no plans to get a different vehicle. Besides, we like our trucks.
    Well, when it cost near $90.00 to fill the tank, we knew it was time. So we down graded to a Chevy HHR. LOVE the fact that it was only $30.00 to fill the tank at those prices!!!

We now have an Odessy and a Colorado Extreme (and are going to be selling the HHR, although I love that lil booger). Since the pricing has fluxuated from $1.49 to $1.90 per gallon we are doing ok with both vehicles at this time. :)

Now, when my hubby's LS1 project is done, between gas and tires we might be in trouble!!!! LOL