Galatians

First off, no need to call me sir. Way too formal for me.

I agree with most of what you say, but most Christians are not full of the Word nor mature in the Faith. Galatians is, I think, written to less than mature Christians who were being confused and led astray into believing the law needed to be followed.

The verse that one should not miss is: 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

NLT:17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.

Pretty clear to me that we will fail at least occasionally at refraining from sinning. My wife is more in your camp, in that, she thinks that if you know you will fail at some point, then you are setting yourself up to fail. I believe Paul was just being honest and telling the truth, that the sin nature is in the flesh and will always desire its gratification, until we get our new perfected bodies.
To believe that I will not sin again sets me up for major disappointment. Too many disappointments bring doubt. This is why Paul warns us many times to avoid destructive fleshy desires. We must be aware.
Bless ya

Well ok then - How is this
Mr Big Moose Greetings, ;)
Exactly - that is the point !! We are not to be those weak Christians in any area. I went off of the one line you started with......
though some would have you believe that one can minimize or eliminate this battle

And yet this is Pauls big thing he is trying to get across to us and to those believers there. When we have this battle or When we sin - it is not us but the sin nature or sin still living in us. I truly believe Paul is showing us the problem. The problem is we Lack Renewing.

There is more old man then new creature in us. Another words we have more to develope in us of His word and ways. There is more of us then of God and His word in us. He used himself as an example to prove his point. I am sure Paul did have his share of battles but I believe in what he is saying here is just as an example to get his point home to them.

Oh and give your wife an amen for me. I too beleive we can set our self up to fail and parents and friends are the worst in this..... ;)
Thank you for responding my Friend and Brother. It is Always a blessing talking weith you.
God Bless
Jim

Galatians 5: NKJV NLT

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. -- 19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God. --Quite a list of evil which we would gravitate to without the direction of the Holy Spirit. And these are not all of them!?! I have dwelt longer on this section, being led to do so, as there is so much here to understand in a way to recognize in our own desires which are connected to our initial reactions. I often begin with my KJV Bible as my starting point for study. As I did with this section, I kept tripping and coming back to the word “lasciviousness”, translated as “lewdness” in NKJV and “lustful pleasures” in NLT. The index defines it as “unbridled lust”.
Romans 13:
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
11 And
do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.--These works are of darkness, and Galatians says evident, or obvious. Practicing them, living them, is a blatant disregard of love for others. Not to mention an affront to the Holy Spirit. This gives insight to those with depression and trouble with life in general. Too many prefer to hide away from others, choosing to be isolated. Their deeds are not judged, so they conclude, under the cover of isolation or darkness as the Bible terms it. Darkness is used as an expression of "no one else seeing" or "under cover". We should prefer to do our deeds or works in the "light" and view of others, not so they think highly of you, but to be an example and encourage others. This would be loving others and fulfill the law or directive from Jesus. This is not to be confused with the Law which was given to Moses.
Ephesians 4:17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.--Again, one of the works of the flesh, lasciviousness or lewdness or lust is part of the "ignorance in them" and "blindness of their heart" and this actually alienates or separates us from the life of God. Again, darkness is mentioned here in reference to one's understanding, the futility of one's thinking. This is the decision making of the flesh, or carnal sin nature.

Jude 3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.--Lewdness or lasciviousness here is warned against as a product of those who want to take our faith in the grace of our God to use it for their own purposes. These are power hungry, self serving people looking for a certain outcome of their own choosing, instead of the Spirit led outcome of God's will for us.

Back to Galatians:
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. --22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! --The law disappears with these love inspired attributes which can be connected to your works. Seek these things out, allow the Spirit to produce these in your life.
24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. --24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. --Something for us to do. Crucify the flesh. Allow the Spirit to direct you in this.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. --25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. --Don't just live in the Spirit. Walk in Him also. Let the Spirit come out in what you do. Others must be affected by this to be in the "light". Love must be connected to others in some way.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. --26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.--Be careful in our dealings with others. It is way too easy to grandstand, show off, or boast. Be real with others. Don't portray yourself as flawless.

Back to Romans 13:
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.--Can't really add to that.

Hi Big Moose,

I am appreciating reading your study through Galatians. I like how you write the scripture then have a chat. That is really good, like having a chat with a friend.

Marilyn.

Hi Big Moose,

I am appreciating reading your study through Galatians. I like how you write the scripture then have a chat. That is really good, like having a chat with a friend.

Marilyn.
Thank you so much. Feel free to chat with any observations you are led to share. I am not sure why I do it this way. This is how I study by myself and it just seems natural for me to do it this way. I also have been influenced by Les Feldick's "Through the Bible" study which I catch on tv from time to time. This is similar to how he does it. I know some of his shows are on youtube, so if you are interested I'm sure you can find them. He reminds me somewhat of my late dad, so it is a joy for me to watch his program.

This format I am using is more of what I consider to be a Bible study. Too many threads in the Bible Study category tend to be more of sermons than studies. I do like the thought of a small group of friends getting together to study and chat and bounce ideas off of each other and let the Spirit connect them in unexpected ways.

I am glad this is a blessing for you.
Your friend in Christ,
John

Galatians 6: NKJV NLT Commentary in Blue
1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 1 Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -My question is, do the godly/spiritual ones know who they are? And what of those who are not godly/spiritual and yet are determined to restore in a not so humble or gentle way. Restoring or helping someone get back on the right track is a tricky endeavor. Who will they take direction from? Am I really godly enough to take on this responsibility? We all come across those who need help, but will they accept it?

2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 2 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. -In the KJV, "burdens" is used here and "burden" is used in verse 5. A bit confusing, I have always thought, in that these verses seem to say opposing concepts. These are completely different words in the Greek. In verse 2, "burdens" has a connotation of heaviness and weight. After comparing other verses using the same word, this seems to be more of an external burden. One which others can help with.
3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 3 If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important. -If you are offended by this verse, you have some work to do, not to mention lots of praying to do. We do think too highly of ourselves and our time. We could use more reminders of this everyday.

4 But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. 4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. -This is a difficult verse to comprehend in the KJV. We have to watch that we don't try to elevate ourselves by belittling and tearing down others. Having 4 boys of my own, I well know the attitude of "Why do I have to do more work?" and "He's not doing as much as me!", the competitiveness of needing recognition.
Do a good job on your own and be happy with that. You know that God will use you as an example for others. Don't disappoint God.

5 For each one shall bear his own load. 5 For we are each responsible for our own conduct. -Here, "burden" in KJV and "load" in NKJV have a connotation of ownership, as in an invoice for freight or a ship's cargo. It can also be as a task or service. After comparing other verses usage, it seems to be an internal burden. Almost a responsibility. These may be the burdens we carry on the inside which those on the outside cannot see. Maybe the things we will answer for in our trial by fire to test our value. Much to consider on this one.

Hi Big Moose,

In relation to verse 4, about examining our own work, I find this scripture very helpful -

`Christ from who the whole body, joined & knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share causes the growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.` (Eph. 4: 16)

Once we understand the truth of the whole body of Christ across the world & down through the ages, & that Christ the Head is building & maturing it by His Holy Spirit, then we are so appreciative of being a part of it. We do not measure it by man`s numbers in meetings etc but see it coming to maturity in Christ.

I personally love to see, by the Holy Spirit what He is doing in my friend`s lives. They have different giftings than me & I rejoice when I see & hear how this is being effective in their lives & those around them. This leads me on to recognising those `godly ones` who are more mature. I believe as the Lord connects us more in everyday life & not just in meetings then those who need guidance will receive the care & encouragement from those they have built trust with. This is not to say that even the mature of us need peers we can turn to or just receive from each other as we meet in fellowship over meals etc. The Holy Spirit interaction between believers is a wonderful thing.

You`re going well Big Moose, blessings, Marilyn.

Galatians 6: NKJV NLT
6 Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. 6 Those who are taught the word of God should provide for their teachers, sharing all good things with them. Appreciate those who teach you in the Word. Encourage them to do the same for others.
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 7 Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Mocked here is literally "to make mouths at". Also to turn up your nose at, sneer or deride. So, don't fool yourself, you can't sneer or deride or mock God, because what you are reaping(receiving) is the fruit of what you have sown(planted, begun by giving impetus to). Create a situation and see what comes of it. God doesn't interfere, He just uses it for His purposes. He will use what others have done to cause you to choose to make a new direction at times. All of it is coordinated by Him to fulfill Romans 8:28.
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. 8 Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. Be Spirit ruled, not self ruled. What you want may be good of itself, but may not be the Spirit's direction. We have to be aware of those times when we are led to do something we normally wouldn't do. Pay attention to the fruit of this work to understand when this leading is of the Spirit. You will start to anticipate the good things to come.
9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 9 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Here Paul is encouraging us to focus on the outcome, that anticipation.
10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. 10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith. Opportunity. Do we realize our opportunities? We need to look for them in our lives. And, we should pay special attention to those you are connected to in the Body of Christ. As Marilyn quoted:
`Christ from who the whole body, joined & knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share causes the growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.` (Eph. 4: 16)

Galatians 6: NKJV NLT
11 See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! 11 Notice what large letters I use as I write these closing words in my own handwriting. Paul is saying these are important remarks.
12 As many as desire to make a good showing in the flesh, these would compel you to be circumcised, only that they may not suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 12 Those who are trying to force you to be circumcised want to look good to others. They don’t want to be persecuted for teaching that the cross of Christ alone can save. This gives us a good idea of what kind of difficulties the early Christians were up against. Not only did the Romans try to destroy them, but the Jews themselves felt threatened by these Christians and tried to assume an authoritative role over them, not to mention persecute these Christians.
13 For not even those who are circumcised keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh.
13 And even those who advocate circumcision don’t keep the whole law themselves. They only want you to be circumcised so they can boast about it and claim you as their disciples. So many fight for control and influence over the rest of the group. Always beware of them.
14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 14 As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world’s interest in me has also died. This world has nothing of value for us.
15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation. 15 It doesn’t matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation. The transformation is what is important.
16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. 16 May God’s peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God.
17 From now on let no one trouble me, for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. 17 From now on, don’t let anyone trouble me with these things. For I bear on my body the scars that show I belong to Jesus. One of my very favorite verses. The new creature bears the marks of the Lord.

18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. 18 Dear brothers and sisters, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen. May your spirit be intertwined with the Spirit of Christ. Amen

Back