Function of a Gate

A gate can keep people out but it can also keep people in.

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
(Matthew 16:18 ESV)

I have always read this as the church being outside and the gates unable to stop it from entering, but gates work both ways, and maybe this also means the gate's unable to stop those inside from escaping.

Last edited:
A gate can keep people out but it can also keep people in. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18 ESV) I have always read this as the church being outside and the gates unable to stop it from entering, but gates work both ways, and maybe this also means the gate's unable to stop those inside from escaping.

Good morning, LearningToLetGo;

I read Function of a Gate late last night and what I'd like to share may not align with your thoughts.

The Church being outside and those inside from escaping is kind of opposite of my thoughts,
brother.

Matthew 7:13-14, 13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
- NIV

Those who don't follow Jesus or Christianity stay on the path of the wide gate (the outside.) It's easier to go with the flow and little sacrifice or none is given from self for God.

As a believer I choose to enter through the narrow gate (the inside) and am set apart to God. My sacrifice of self belongs to God because of my love for Jesus.
I believe it's a two way relationship because He protects me from the devil, world and gates of hell enticing me.

The wide gate including (the high and low roads) cannot enter the narrow gate because they are not in the light nor can hear, see or feel the indwelling of Jesus. (The roads for the pleasures of sin that one can get on the high road what you can't get on the low road and vice versa.)

Thank you for sharing an interesting thread for discussion.

God bless you, LearningToLetGo.

And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I have always read this as the church being outside and the gates unable to stop it from entering, but gates work both ways, and maybe this also means the gate's unable to stop those inside from escaping.
I always saw it as those in hell were constantly trying to open the gates to unleash hell on the earth or those not in hell. I also consider that the gates could be opened, as in after the 1,000 year reign of Christ, the devil is unleashed to have one more go of evil on earth to be then cast into the lake of fire. This could be seen as the opening of the gates of hell.

If we think through this some more, gates don't move. They are anchored in place and swing only on their hinges.

So, given that it's written that the gates of Hell shall not prevail against the Church, those gates don't go out and assault us or anyone else. Because they are stationary, it the the gates that are assaulted, and the Church assaults those gates to release, through the Gospel, those trapped within because of their sin.

Just my worthless two cents worth, but was an excellent explanation given to me many years ago that stuck in my thinking.

MM

So, given that it's written that the gates of Hell shall not prevail against the Church, those gates don't go out and assault us or anyone else. Because they are stationary, it the the gates that are assaulted, and the Church assaults those gates to release, through the Gospel, those trapped within because of their sin.
Who are those trapped within? What are they trapped inside?

Who are those trapped within? What are they trapped inside?

The imagery of that gate is said to be an allegorical representation of the imprisonment of souls not yet given over to the Gospel. Given that the Gospel has power:

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Those who wield that power are those who minister the Gospel to others, which at this time is the Church. In the future Tribulation it will be the 144,000. THAT is one of many assaults against those gates of Hell. Also, the powers of evil in world politics and individual lives steeped in evil are also behind those gates, because the power of prayer emanating from the Church is such that even the man of sin, and antichrist, cannot come to power until that power of assault against his master's gates is removed from this realm in order for those gates to become secure enough that the man of sin may begin his assault upon the rest of the world unhindered by the power given to the Church.

Generally speaking, I realize there may be those out there who don't believe in the fact that any other viewpoint makes God out to be a liar, but I will let each one plod through that debate on their own. I'm not here to argue the merits of what scripture clearly reveals to us along this line. Arguments about eschatology are ruled out here, so let's just leave it at that. Anyone who would like to discuss this further can PM me on this board and we can talk there.

MM

Back