Freedoms That Are Lawful

Dusty

Inactive
Freedoms That Are Lawful

Being as you guys are celebrating Independence Day , I thought this might be appropriate.

1 Cor. 6 : 12 says all things are lawful for me but not all things are helpful . All things are helpful for me but I will not be enslavedby anything.

What do you think Paul meant when he referred to Freedoms that are lawful ?

As Christians the Holy Spirit teaches us what is wrong and what is right . For example - always wrong would apply to lieing , stealing, cheating, gossiping, and coveting.: whereas always right would be --- encouraging , honesty , faithfullness , merycygullness , and loving .

Do you think we can become bound by our freedom ?

I think we can because if we do anything in excess it can be dangerous if it takes us away form the Lord . , who is our first priority .

Don't you think that these " priorities " become " Idols " in our lives ?

By an example ; If we are placing our favourite music , tv shows , movies, hobies , or sports before God ..... then yes they are " .
Idols" These things are not sinful in their right place but can be part of our freedoms that we have been blessed with in Christ.

The ultimate key to our freedoms is Matthew 6:33 .... Seek first the Kingdom of God .

We are freer than we think when we are bound to Christ and not our freedoms . Then and only then can we get closer to Him .

I'm coming to realize that 1 Cor. 6 : 12 all things are lawful for me but not all things are helpful . All things are helpful for me but I will not be enslavedby anything means things like maybe smoking, getting tattoos, stuff that is not specifically addressed in the Bible. Another one, drinking is addressed by saying not to drink in excess. But, the other things I mentioned are just flesh things, not Godly things, or things that would do my body good. Now, these things don't draw me like they used to cause I'm on a different level than I was, thinking about other things and not so much fleshly things that had me bound like smoking. God is a good God to be so gentle in helping us see through His eyes instead of our own. I'm so glad I have come to know Father's heart, and His thoughts are now mine.

Sometimes different "flavors" of the Word help bring out the meaning of a verse:

1Co 6:12

(ASV) All things are lawful for me; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful for me; but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(BBE) I am free to do all things; but not all things are wise. I am free to do all things; but I will not let myself come under the power of any.

(CEV) Some of you say, "We can do anything we want to." But I tell you that not everything is good for us. So I refuse to let anything have power over me.

(Darby) All things are lawful to me, but all things do not profit; all things are lawful to me, but *I* will not be brought under the power of any.

(EMTV) All things are lawful for me, but all things are not profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.

(ESV) "All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.

(GNB) Someone will say, "I am allowed to do anything." Yes; but not everything is good for you. I could say that I am allowed to do anything, but I am not going to let anything make me its slave.

(GW) Someone may say, "I'm allowed to do anything," but not everything is helpful. I'm allowed to do anything, but I won't allow anything to gain control over my life.

(KJV) All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(KJVA) All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(LITV) All things are lawful to me, but not all things profit. All things are lawful to me, but I will not be ruled by any.

(MKJV) All things are lawful to me, but not all things profit. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(Murdock) Every thing is in my power: but every thing is not profitable to me. Every thing is in my power; but none [of them] shall have dominion over me.

(RV) All things are lawful for me; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful for me; but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(Webster) All things are lawful to me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

(WNT) Everything is allowable to me, but not everything is profitable. Everything is allowable to me, but to nothing will I become a slave.

(YLT) All things are lawful to me, but all things are not profitable; all things are lawful to me, but I--I will not be under authority by any;

Sweet Surrender I think you will find that tattoos are forbidden in the Scripture -Lev. 19:28 - Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.

With regard to all things being lawful. There are a lot of things, like reading fiction, taking exercise, meeting friends socially, travelling, etc. etc. all of which are lawful, but are not expedient when they take too important a role in my life. Personally, I have to watch out how much I read as I get very involved in a book and find it more helpful to put it down for a while rather than let it take precedence over my time. I go to the gym, but I don't think exercise will ever become unhelpful to me - it's rather a discipline, but I know people whose lives are ruled by going to the gym and keeping fit.

A good test I have found is to note if anything dims my desire to study the Scripture, pray or go to Church - then it is becoming a problem.

God bless us as we learn together.

Sweet Surrender I think you will find that tattoos are forbidden in the Scripture -Lev. 19:28 - Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.

With regard to all things being lawful. There are a lot of things, like reading fiction, taking exercise, meeting friends socially, travelling, etc. etc. all of which are lawful, but are not expedient when they take too important a role in my life. Personally, I have to watch out how much I read as I get very involved in a book and find it more helpful to put it down for a while rather than let it take precedence over my time. I go to the gym, but I don't think exercise will ever become unhelpful to me - it's rather a discipline, but I know people whose lives are ruled by going to the gym and keeping fit.

A good test I have found is to note if anything dims my desire to study the Scripture, pray or go to Church - then it is becoming a problem.

God bless us as we learn together.

Good thoughts , Jeananne . Yes I know people who do things in excess and yet they still love the Lord but like you said .... are they really putting Christ first in their life ?

Exercise is good but if it becomes an obsession then no it is not good .

I have a friend that has so concentrated on her diet .... not to eat this and not to eat that ... that this has become her focal point .and Only God will be able to point it out to her cause when I talk it falls on deaf ears.

Another friend has gone what he says raw foods cause he has been listening to all these people who say they are healthy .... because . Sorry but that does not float my boat either . The Lord is my strength and He is the one who says my body is a temple but never restricted me from eating a balanced diet.

Anything that dims my vision for Christ, or takes away my taste for Bible study, or cramps me in my prayer life, or makes Christian work difficult, is wrong for me; and I must, as a Christian turn away from it. – J. Wilbur Chapman

Yah , that's cool cause it co - incides with the Bible verse ;like Bonnie says ... :cool::cool::cool:

That cause God is sooooo coollll!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Christ gives us freedom and the Holy Spirit guides us .. In Galatians 5 ...Paul is reminding the Galatians that Christ set them free from the law of Moses . Those who have faith in Christ are guided by the Holy Spirit who helps them live as children of God and not to be controlled by evil desires.

The Holy Spirit gives us the ability to understand God's will , to live together in love , to see what the future will bring , and to carry out the different kinds of work that need to be done in the churches .

The Holy Spirit produses within us the love and lifestyle that God wants for His people .

Galatians 5:19-21

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:22

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Back