For Those That Believe In Annihilation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't make any difference to me. I follow Jesus because He alone is worth following. The question of my spirits eternal estate was settled on the cross. And, it makes no difference to the unsaved over and above the fact that they will realize that they didn't score a pass.
So...to recap, the real issue is not what will happen to a person who is unsaved, it is what will not happen for them because of their unbelief.

That's pretty incredible of you.
In all honesty, if God told me to kill my son, I suspect I would say no and disobey God. Or at the very least, would struggle with what to do.

My faith isn't nearly as strong as Abraham's and I suspect I'm not nearly as obedient as he was.

If God told me to kill my son, I would probably either believe I was going insane and hearing things or I would try to convince myself that I was going insane.
Well if a person understands the gospel, and the covenant we have in Christ...they would understand that God has already supplied the sacrifice that was represented in this testing of Abraham's faith. God will never ask us to replace ,in anyway, the Work of Christ, that we can be sure.

Whatever God desires is OK to me. Personally, I believe that hell is nothing but the total absence of God (which is something that all enemies of God have not only chosen but also eagerly desire). The total absence of God is, of course, a great torment, and the enemies of God will come to understand it, although they won't repent because of this understanding, not even in hell. In my opinion, that is a crucial point. People seem to believe that everyone will repent in hell, but this is not a biblical belief. The enemies of God will always be his enemies, for all eternity.

And, it makes no difference to the unsaved

I agree: it does not matter to the unbeliever.
The moral of the story is usually at the end.

Luke 16:19-31
New King James Version (NKJV)
The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. 20 But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, 21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell[a] from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’
27 “Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29 Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

Whatever God desires is OK to me. Personally, I believe that hell is nothing but the total absence of God (which is something that all enemies of God have not only chosen but also eagerly desire). The total absence of God is, of course, a great torment, and the enemies of God will come to understand it, although they won't repent because of this understanding, not even in hell. In my opinion, that is a crucial point. People seem to believe that everyone will repent in hell, but this is not a biblical belief. The enemies of God will always be his enemies, for all eternity.
There is a day in which.....

Php 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
Php 2:11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Every one will know and believe the truth, but then it will be to late. This will bring tremendous torment to themselves, who did not believe in Jesus Christ.

this part of the song "Amazing Grace" may explain it more clearly:

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;

How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

There is a day in which.....

Php 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
Php 2:11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Every one will know and believe the truth, but then it will be to late. This will bring tremendous torment to themselves, who did not believe in Jesus Christ.

Yeah, the time for repentance would be long gone.

Last edited:
My 2 cents on an earlier comment - if a person follows Christ only because he fears Hell, then that person is not much of a Christian. He is the equivalent of a thief who will not rob because he fears being caught. He is still a thief, and a coward also.

My 2 cents on an earlier comment - if a person follows Christ only because he fears Hell, then that person is not much of a Christian. He is the equivalent of a thief who will not rob because he fears being caught. He is still a thief, and a coward also.
I agree, plus we are not to fear death, but God.

The beginning of knowledge is the fear of the Lord, but as one grows in grace and knowledge the fear is replaced by love and obedience based upon love. But NO ONE starts apart from a healthy fear and respect of God...That's just a false and unbiblical position.

Think about and pray over Philippians 2:10......

"That at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, of things in heaven and things in earth, and things under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father".

In all honesty, if God told me to kill my son, I suspect I would say no and disobey God. Or at the very least, would struggle with what to do.

My faith isn't nearly as strong as Abraham's and I suspect I'm not nearly as obedient as he was.

If God told me to kill my son, I would probably either believe I was going insane and hearing things or I would try to convince myself that I was going insane.

Gods won't tell us to do anything we are not capable of doing. If he wants you to kill your son He will give you the heart/faith to do it.

PS I almost missed this reply. My notifications haven't been popping up.. I new something suspicious was going on.

Abraham could not either sacrifice his own son with out first having the Word of God in him which he believed. It was the Word of God that worked through Abraham. As Jesus tells in the New Testament.....

Joh 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Without the Word of God in Abraham he could do nothing!!

Abraham could not either sacrifice his own son with out first having the Word of God in him which he believed. It was the Word of God that worked through Abraham. As Jesus tells in the New Testament.....

Joh 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Yup! Even the devil can't do anything without the Word of God. For God is the source of life.

When we follow God, it is a choice to accept the Holy Spirit's influence. We can choose to do God's will or reject it, even when we hear the Holy Spirit perfectly clear.

Granted, it isn't our own doing, but the Holy Spirit's, but as we are made in God's image, we can choose to follow or reject Him.

Gods won't tell us to do anything we are not capable of doing. If he wants you to kill your son He will give you the heart/faith to do it.

PS I almost missed this reply. My notifications haven't been popping up.. I new something suspicious was going on.

I never know how to respond to statements like "God only gives those what they can handle." I'm never sure what that means. It's wrong because factual circumstances of living prove that sometimes this life does bring with it more than we can handle. It does for martyrs, for Job, and for those who have greatly suffered for their faith.

Perhaps that would be a great discussion for another forum. Kudos for bringing it up.

I never know how to respond to statements like "God only gives those what they can handle." I'm never sure what that means. It's wrong because factual circumstances of living prove that sometimes this life does bring with it more than we can handle. It does for martyrs, for Job, and for those who have greatly suffered for their faith.

Perhaps that would be a great discussion for another forum. Kudos for bringing it up.

But Job was victorious, yes?

With all due respect, is that the right criteria? If we say yes, then what about the martyrs?
When Paul mentions the sheep for the slaughter, he declares that in all things we are MORE THAN conquers through Christ that loves us! Anyone who really understands the power of being in Gods Spirit, understands that even in the greatest of tribulations and testing, there is a supernatural force and victory upon the believer. The reason Rome stopped killing Christians, is because as they died, they was so peaceful and powerful in appearance that folks who where watching was running to join them. Rome figured out the more thy killed these people, the faster they grew! They decided the only way to defeat the gospel was to co-opt and pervert it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back