first ladies

I never actually met Helen Clark but the other day I went past John Key (our current PM) house. Boy it was flash. Newspaper said it was worth about $10 million.

He made his money investment banking on wall st. Same as my cousin went and did but John Key made so much more.

Helen had a modest house in an auckland suburb and only lived there to garner votes. Her parents were actually farming stock.
John Key said to have been brought up poor in a state house. But he made himself rich in america. Then came back to nz and ppl thought wow great success story lets vote his party in. Hes right wing.

I once told my mum if john key gets a second term Im gonna live in australia. Lol. Well i cant even afford to move there. Prolly be worse.

Interesting but as a side comment but I'm afraid my sort of knowledge of people in NZ tends to be limited to say Richard Hadlee (one of the finest all rounders and brilliant bowler in cricket) and say Jonu Lumo (All Black rugby player). I know nothing of politics there.
World famous nzers...a shortlist

Peter jackson ( director of lord of the rings movies)
peter Blake ...yachting champion
Sir edmund hilary ...climbed mt everest
Bic runga...singer songwriter
lorde...current pop idol
Kiri te kanawa ...opera singer
Anna paquin...oscar winning actress

Um...all i can think of for now. That you might have heard of.

Heaps of nzers have moved to australia cos theres more jobs there. But aussies dont like nzers stealing their jobs

World famous nzers...a shortlist

Peter jackson ( director of lord of the rings movies)
peter Blake ...yachting champion
Sir edmund hilary ...climbed mt everest
Bic runga...singer songwriter
lorde...current pop idol
Kiri te kanawa ...opera singer
Anna paquin...oscar winning actress

Um...all i can think of for now. That you might have heard of.

Only two of those I've heard of - Edmund Hillary and Kiri Te Kanawa. Trying to thing who else I've heard of oustide cricket and rugby... Ernest Rutherfield (scientist), Denny Hulme (F1 world champion)...

added - Ngaio Marsh (writer)

Last edited:
Lol ive never heard of denny hulme.

What about Bruce Maclaren, hes a famous car racer. Theres school named after him as well.

I once told my mum if john key gets a second term Im gonna live in australia. Lol. Well i cant even afford to move there. Prolly be worse.
Actually i think people voted john keys party in cos they were sick of Helen and wanted her out.

they don't have to be wives of presidents. Just any that you know of that you admire and commend for their faith.

When I think of any I let you know.

When I was growing up the lady that was always in the news was Lady Diana, aka Princess of
Wales.

Of course now I know she wasnt actually a christian at all, even though she might have been born in the church of england but to me she was meant to be a 'lady', and even if she wasnt a christian. I suppose cos she was aristocratic and did proverbs 31 like good deeds and was married to a prince. 'Lady bountiful' in other words.

now Princess Catherine has assumed the title.

I kind of thought american first ladies were a similar royalty or regarded like that by americans. I suppose wrong...?

When I was growing up the lady that was always in the news was Lady Diana, aka Princess of
Wales.

Of course now I know she wasnt actually a christian at all, even though she might have been born in the church of england but to me she was meant to be a 'lady', and even if she wasnt a christian. I suppose cos she was aristocratic and did proverbs 31 like good deeds and was married to a prince. 'Lady bountiful' in other words.

I kind of thought american first ladies were a similar royalty or regarded like that by americans. I suppose wrong...?
Royalty is anathema to Americans. The term used here quite often for someone with a fanatic following is so and so is a "rock star". Many followers and fans of certain celebrities treat their idols as if they were royalty, though.
First ladies are not paid much attention. The only one who you would call 'pretty' on the scale of Dianna would be Jackie Kennedy. Beauty is not associated to first ladies, although they have been fashion trend setters.
Most first ladies are respected highly in the U.S., unless they are trying to wrest power, using their husband's position, over parts of society as Hillary Rodham Clinton and Michelle Obama have done. These women have tried to follow in the footsteps of Eleanor Roosevelt who was very active in taking up causes to improve society.

Most first ladies concentrate on certain causes near to their hearts like literacy, anti-drug abuse, alcohol and drug treatment, anti-hunger, etc., which are usually not too controversial.

All first ladies are supportive of their husbands in their runs for president and during their presidency. Mainly because if their wife gives up on him, so too will the country.

Wales.

My own UK take is that Americans generally see the Royal Family as some sort of quaint historical anachronism. Interesting but of a past time.

To extend this, I'd say Americans (as a sweeping generalisation) do like to have some sort of ancestry more than we Brits - it's a different background and the US is a relatively new country (at least if we don't count native Americans in this).

UK is pretty split over the royalty although I think pro monarchy is the majority feeling.

Me, I suppose I came to like lady Di in later years after her death. But my opinions have changed over the years. I once saw her as manipulative but would tend to see her now as getting in to a privileged world (not that she wasn't privileged any way) she couldn't cope with... (funny the way our assemets of people can change...)

I think Lady Di was a bit of both, she was very young when she married so quite naive. But she also had a bit of actress in her. So many people believed she was happy cos she was always smiling in photos. We didnt know what was really going on inside before she told all.

Her parents split so when she was young she felt abandoned by her mother. Also, she said she should have been born a boy, as in those days only boys inherited. So..all those things made her who she was. Her good qualities were she was very tactile and openly showing affection with her boys. But it was sad that, her husband was in love with someone else before they met.

I have read a few bios on Lady Di just to get to know who she was a bit better. She had a great impact on people. I think her work with landmine victims to highlight what was going on in other countries was a good thing. She had a soft spot for children. I remember her speech on hugs.

What well known person in this day and age does speeches on hugs?!

Back