First Gentile

First Gentile

Quick quiz.

The early church was mostly Jewish converts in Jerusalem. A new Jewish sect some called it.

Who was the first Gentile / non Jew to convert to Christianity, mentioned / named in the bible?

There where probably others before him, but who was mentioned first?

Acts 8:27. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

The above is just a throw-of-the-dart. I am not sure the answer to this question is specifically stated in scripture. At pentecost when the Holy Spirit arrived, many Gentiles heards "the woderful works of God".

Acts 2:
9. Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10. Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11. Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

and many people accepted Christ, some may have been Gentiles.

Acts 2:
41. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

I would recommend the reading all of Acts 2 to understan in context.

Good Day and God Bless

We don't often recognize that Peter and all the disciples of our Lord were Jewish. Luke was the only gentile who wrote parts of the bible; a physician and friend of Paul.

Isaiah 2:3
And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

Zechariah 8:23
Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.

I think Cornelius and the eunuch were converts; but I have wondered if the wise men from the East might have been the first "gentiles" (non-Jews) to believe in the Christ and see Him face to face. :D
:groupray:

I don't think we'll ever be able to know. Trying to find out who was the first believing Gentile, is kind of like trying to pick needles out of a haystack. The Bible does not really give any specifics.

Cornelius was the first Gentile to be named as a convert.

Although there where probably others before

Cornelius was the first one mentioned by name!

Prize goes to 3-nails. :D

oooooooh.do I hear a prize? :D:eek::p

Yes, you have won a prize!!!!!!
And………. You are the lucky winner of the online lottery.
All you have to do is give out all of your personal identification information and sit back and wait.
(don‘t go to the bank for a few days and don‘t answer the phone if they call)

Notice… the above is meant to be a joke, and only a joke.
Never, never give out any information about yourself to anyone you don’t know personally, and then only do it with caution.
Thank you
Have a nice day. :D

Back