Fictional magic?

I know in the Bible it says that magic that is associated with the occult and demonic forces are evil and that we need to stay away, this makes total sense. But what about the magic that is disney movies, Harry Potter,magicians use, basically magic that is used for entertainment and that are in fairy tales. Am I allowed to like this kind of magic?

I know in the Bible it says that magic that is associated with the occult and demonic forces are evil and that we need to stay away, this makes total sense. But what about the magic that is disney movies, Harry Potter,magicians use, basically magic that is used for entertainment and that are in fairy tales. Am I allowed to like this kind of magic?
To me it's the same thing. That's just how I see it. Here's why.

The word of God says:

Exodus 20:17 (KJV)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.​

Yet, Jesus says

Matthew 5:28 (KJV)
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.​

So Jesus elevated lust to include what you do in your heart.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)
There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.​

To me, if you play with fire, you'll get burnt. What you do in your mind is just as important what you do in your body.

Proverbs 23:7a (KJV)

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: ...​

Hi sammysue,

Welcome to cfs! We sure are glad that you could join us. When you get the opportunity please look over the rules of the forum and the topics that cannot be discussed.

If you have any questions, please ask any active staff member, and we will be happy to help you in any way that we can.

To answer your question... all magic comes from the same source. The devil. It's people choosing to cast some spell or do some incantation to get what they want in their own strength, instead of relying on God, and doing things His way.

The Disney movies and other stuff like Harry potter, use words to manipulate and control the things that they want changed. Those are contrary (oppisite) to God's ways.
Similar in the fact that they use words to bring something into existence (which is God's way... we speak God's Words, and through faith and patience, get God's results... because God's Words are alive (Hebrews 4:12)

Opposite in the fact that God does not try to control people, those ways are devilish. And the devil knows that by getting those things into the minds of young people, by using cute movies and cartoons, causes a person to think that there is nothing wrong with it, and causes us to accept it as ok, which could possibly lead to something later.

And is why we should not be allowing any thing of this nature into our thinking, or into our eyes or ears. For many times God says to guard our hearts (spirit, inner man)... meaning to protect your spirit so that it does not become contaminated with things that are opposed to the Word of God. It's planting seeds that are not of God, that can trip you up later.

Proverbs 4:23
Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life.

Even if it's just getting a person in the habit of praying and asking God to change others (which is devilish), or to cause a person to expect things instantly, and when our prayers are not answered instantly then we think that God is saying no, and causes us to doubt God's promises. It can condition us to give up when we need to be standing in faith, patiently waiting for our prayers to be answered.

Hope this helps!
God bless you abundantly
Cturtle

Welcome sammysue
Here is the screen play of all this.
Our enemy the devil has Slowly been de-Sensitizing People for millenniums.

Using cartoons and fantasy shows even as little as bewitched and I dream of genie and so forth.

It's a candy coated application to open up an area in one's thinking that he can gain access into when he wishes.

Starts suckering kids into this and then slowly into more and more and more.

All the while the people insist it's just innocent harmless fun or make believe.
That thinking comes straight out of hell.

As has been said .... white vs black witchcraft is from the same source.
Wica and all that is also from the same source..
Source being our enemy the devil.

So yes mam, even Harry Potter is just a tool of the god of this world and ways, the devil.

Again Welcome to cfs
Blessings
FCJ

welcome+rose.gif
to CFS "sammysue." We are glad you joined us. While those Harry Potter movies are entertaining, I always suggest a person know what God says in HIs word before watching these types of movies or shows. That way you already know this is for entertainment only because the Word of God does not says this. To piggy back on what the moderator "Cturtle" was saying, the powers that the characters in those types of movies are displaying are powers that God has. The power to change circumstances, past, future and whatever else those movies do, God does not humans. This is why God says in 2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." So, we must continue to be in the word of Truth (the Word of God). If you stay in the Word of Truth, you will know when you see movies, TV shows, etc as entertainment. Ask for for discernment and wisdom and the Holy Spirit will reveal to you if it does not line up with the Word of God.

Back