Faith Without Works is dead .. Works without Faith are dead also .

Michael Collum

Inactive
Faith Without Works is dead .. Works without Faith are dead also .

Dead works

Hebrews 6

1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3And this will we do, if God permit.

Galatians 3

2I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing?

Dead works relates to trying to follow the law with your own effort . The beginning premise of a Spirit filled and a Spirit lead life is meant to continue throughout the whole life of a believer . not just at salvation .

Dead Faith

James 2

14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Dead Faith, relates to treating faith as a concept similar to the force in star wars and expunging all the relational elements from it . Faith is better Rendered as "Trust" today . Out of our trust toward Jesus in His love in us . we give to others whether we think they deserve it or not .

1 John 3:17
But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

because this is the same premise God loves us on . Not based on what we do . or what we say . or who we are . but Who He is . and His faithfulness . God is love .

In the Book of Revelation there is a letter which addresses this issue of dead faith . This is the letter at the beginning of Chapter 2 . The letter to the Church of Ephesus . They were real strong at doctrine . but just didn't know how to be generous with their hearts . and God was about to snuff their candlestick out . which means they would no longer be a church .. just a club of philosophers that could not tolerate error according to the torah and the prophets .

Application

So the Application is . Live supernatural lives by trusting Him (the text seems to indicate we receive the Spirit by trusting Him, so keep doing that .. see what happens) experiencing His love every moment of every day . And live in such a way so that people will know that you have been forgiven of all your wrongs . and that God has poured His riches out on you . Living with thankfulness and a deeply generous heart . In the same way Jesus did what was written of Him .. do what is written of you personally . seek God and find out what that is . and it may be noticed of you that when you're participating in your part in the play .. you're less obsessed with trying to correct people's lines from behind stage .

Father, only you know who we are . and you've known us before we were born, through your Holy Spirit, reveal to us who we are in you more and more . and may we become more the image of you . and less the pattern of this world day by day . In Jesus name . Amen .

Back