Exhorting Future Young Generation Christians

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I’ve learned in this time of my life to put my faith in younger Christian adults. When I was younger I hung out with friends who were mostly older in the work place, sports activities and social events. At times I was talked down to because of my inexperience, mistakes on the job, or my social skills.

However In Christian circles I was encouraged, picked up, held up and built up. Some elderly men and women of God come to mind and especially Pastors who served as a mentor.

Now the tide has changed. I’m now on the side of a senior. Not all young Christian adults will automatically respect me for my age reference 1 Timothy 5:1. I feel I have to earn it and there is no room for condescension.

I cannot change the direction of the future or the coming of Christ. That’s God’s call, but I can help prepare by encouraging young believers as God prepares them as disciples in their calling.

1 Timothy 4:12: 12, Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. - ESV​

Psalm 144:12 May our sons in their youth be like plants full grown, our daughters like corner pillars cut for the structure of a palace; - ESV​

I hope this can turn into a meaningful discussion and would love to hear your thoughts, experience with your children, community, profession or ministry.

God bless you all and thank you.

My girls and I would wholeheartedly welcome it. They respect elders within the ministry and they also respect me when we discuss God's Word, when we pray and discuss godly choices etc. It's so important to have respect both ways where they too are growing and learning to depend and rely on God. I mess up, they see me repent [confess] and address my own sins. I try again. We are accountable to each other and in a multitude of godly counsel - we know it's essential for wisdom.

TransformedinChrist post reminded me of the following…
Today much emphasis is put on the youth culture. I don’t know if it’s a Hollywood influence or what.
I have seen a well known mega church taylor its services to the youth when the senior pastor passed away.
My wife pointed out to me how Jewish culture honors the aged.
Maybe that would be a good principle to teach our youth?

We also need to model it. Activately be involved and live as Christ showed and taught. It wasn't just Sunday. It was every day thing. Relationships were build solid. Not just whenever they had the time. He ate with them, he went with them, he laughed with them - it was all very intimate. I think it lacks on both sides.

We also need to model it. Activately be involved and live as Christ showed and taught. It wasn't just Sunday. It was every day thing. Relationships were build solid. Not just whenever they had the time. He ate with them, he went with them, he laughed with them - it was all very intimate. I think it lacks on both sides.

Hello TiC:

Relationships that are built solid has to be on a daily basis. While my wife and I were serving full time in ministry and full time in her job, our family (my wife's side) lived with us as 8 people, at one time 13 people, until the heads of family purchased their own homes. During that time, the family included my nieces who were 12 and 7, nephews were 5 and 3. It was a transition of co-existing and living together.

Being the eldest brother in law and uncle, it was a tough challenge for me to live with so many people. I had my share of arguments (putting pressure on my wife,) while serving in the pastoral ministry and studying at seminary.

But we always kept the house Christ Centered and at the end of the day I loved my family. This sustained our co-existence, the children were amazing during the transitional years and took it with a grain of salt.

Things settled around 2017 and we were enjoying peace as a large family. Life challenges and troubles of the world continue all around us but the foundation of our homes keeps us standing firm in our faith.

My brother in laws bought their own homes, one being our home to keep it in the family. The kids are now young adults, my nieces 28 and 24, my nephews 19 and 17 and a new addition, our youngest niece who is 6. When we gather there is more laughing, good conversation and family help for one another.

My wife and I were concerned at the times we disagreed with the kids and their parents. We thought in the future none of them would want anything to do with us. Contraire, everybody receives us as the "senior members" of the family and the love is outpouring, especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

TiC, as you shared, "it was every day thing," just the same, Jesus is an everyday thing.

God bless you, sister.

Hello TiC:

Relationships that are built solid has to be on a daily basis. While my wife and I were serving full time in ministry and full time in her job, our family (my wife's side) lived with us as 8 people, at one time 13 people, until the heads of family purchased their own homes. During that time, the family included my nieces who were 12 and 7, nephews were 5 and 3. It was a transition of co-existing and living together.

Being the eldest brother in law and uncle, it was a tough challenge for me to live with so many people. I had my share of arguments (putting pressure on my wife,) while serving in the pastoral ministry and studying at seminary.

But we always kept the house Christ Centered and at the end of the day I loved my family. This sustained our co-existence, the children were amazing during the transitional years and took it with a grain of salt.

Things settled around 2017 and we were enjoying peace as a large family. Life challenges and troubles of the world continue all around us but the foundation of our homes keeps us standing firm in our faith.

My brother in laws bought their own homes, one being our home to keep it in the family. The kids are now young adults, my nieces 28 and 24, my nephews 19 and 17 and a new addition, our youngest niece who is 6. When we gather there is more laughing, good conversation and family help for one another.

My wife and I were concerned at the times we disagreed with the kids and their parents. We thought in the future none of them would want anything to do with us. Contraire, everybody receives us as the "senior members" of the family and the love is outpouring, especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

TiC, as you shared, "it was every day thing," just the same, Jesus is an everyday thing.

God bless you, sister.

Absolutely agree. Thank you for sharing!

Back