Evolution?

M

Mister Curious

Evolution?

Recently there was an article about research done on molecules to see first hand within days how darwinian acts of evolution happen and why/how. I cant post the URL to the article because i am an unregistered user. Obviously i could post it without the full URL but i dont want to break any rules...

Basically it talks about how researchers test molecules to see darwinian evolutionary processes happen within days. For example- They put two different "species" of molecule together with 1 food source and watch while they compete and the "fittest" survives while the other slowly dies off.

I guess im just curious what someone of the christian faith thinks about this? (preferably someone who doesnt agree with evolution). Not because i want to say anyone is wrong or right...just simply curious. I fully respect everyones beliefs and opinions here...but i want to know them regarding this article :)

Thanks!!

Recently there was an article about research done on molecules to see first hand within days how darwinian acts of evolution happen and why/how. I cant post the URL to the article because i am an unregistered user. Obviously i could post it without the full URL but i dont want to break any rules...

Basically it talks about how researchers test molecules to see darwinian evolutionary processes happen within days. For example- They put two different "species" of molecule together with 1 food source and watch while they compete and the "fittest" survives while the other slowly dies off.

I guess im just curious what someone of the christian faith thinks about this? (preferably someone who doesnt agree with evolution). Not because i want to say anyone is wrong or right...just simply curious. I fully respect everyones beliefs and opinions here...but i want to know them regarding this article :)

Thanks!!

This is simple, it's observable evolution. Much like the recent cases of swine flu.
Both are examples of how mutations take place generation by generation until favourable attributes are formed for the species, and thus, natural selection prevails.
This is observable evidence for evolution. Plain and simple.

This is simple, it's observable evolution. Much like the recent cases of swine flu.
Both are examples of how mutations take place generation by generation until favourable attributes are formed for the species, and thus, natural selection prevails.
This is observable evidence for evolution. Plain and simple.
Are these the same species of molecule, or different? The op said "different". Thats micro-evolution, or natural selection. It in no way proves, for example, that the bombardier beetle "evolved" its defense mechanism. If someone can explain how that evolved, I'm all ears. Otherwise, as a Christian, I would chalk that research up to proving the complexity and wonder of God's design.

Thanks!!

"Natural Selection"(and that is what we are taking about here whether it be microbes or dinasouers)explains a lot. But not evolution.The word "selection" is the operative word here. To select is to separate or remove which means that which was removed first had to be present. Throw out creation and then tell me how it got here to be Naturaly Selected and removed. . .
Don't take me wrong, This is not an insult.
"natural selection" explains loss, distinction, survival and even mutations but none of that supports evolution's basic theary which is" something from nothing by chance times billions of years without intelligent design or purpose.

Not that matters in this discussion, but i am a devout follower of Christ.
And I rejected evolution's thearies long before I accepted Christ,30+ years before.
Blessings
Cliff

"Natural Selection" and "Survival of the Fittest" is a barbaric and real thing. It explains why horses got bigger and why giraffes have long necks and why humans are going blond, but it does not explain why, even in the most base person, we have the need to worship a "One" who gave us that survival instinct. Or, He who allows us to push it aside and say, "I love you.....you survive and I will not for your sake."

It does not explain the thing, in even the most base of us, that rejects the notion of a child being harmed. If we were made simply of instinct and survival, it would not bother us. Survival is one thing and microbes do not have (at least I think?) higher traits like self sacrifice....but there are creatures which do, and THAT is not obtained by natural selection. We were created with instincts. We are both.

leia

Inanimate molecules want food?

Thanks!!

Hi, Mister Curious.

I fully believe that the Holy Bible is truth in all that it says. I personally believe in special creation, that God created living things just as He says in Scripture, and that it happened just as described in the opening chapters of Genesis and other bits of Scripture.

As for the ability of molecules to eat or die, I must admit that I'm really impressed! Really. However, if you meant to say that living cells are doing these things, then such information is not surprising to me at all. Life is astonishing in every way. God designs life to survive under all kinds of conditions.

Jim/Pazzoom

Those "molecules" are merely expressing characteristics God has already placed in them.

-BOANERGES-

Those "molecules" are merely expressing characteristics God has already placed in them.

Exactly...I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that evolution is attempting to explain how we got here or even why. Its not though. Its just attempting to explain whats been happening since then regardless of if, or what, any higher being/force/power had any say or influence.
"Natural Selection" and "Survival of the Fittest" is a barbaric and real thing. It explains why horses got bigger and why giraffes have long necks and why humans are going blond, but it does not explain why, even in the most base person, we have the need to worship a "One" who gave us that survival instinct. Or, He who allows us to push it aside and say, "I love you.....you survive and I will not for your sake."

It does not explain the thing, in even the most base of us, that rejects the notion of a child being harmed. If we were made simply of instinct and survival, it would not bother us. Survival is one thing and microbes do not have (at least I think?) higher traits like self sacrifice....but there are creatures which do, and THAT is not obtained by natural selection. We were created with instincts. We are both.

leia

Evolution does not explain instinctual traits no...but science/biology does. I read somewhere a while back that a raised forehead and large eyes are one of the main physical traits we identify with a young child/baby which sort of "kicks into gear" that protective stance and may even be one of the reasons why we find many animals to be cute. Its interesting to see these resulting emotions that are generally shared by the population, used in product advertisement. Next time you're at the grocery store in the pet isle, check out some of the boxes of dog bones or something. Many of those are very clearly photo shopped to have a higher forehead and those "puppy dog" large teary eyes. Thats not done for our puppies..thats done for us.

But what if the mere rejection of the notion of a child being harmed is indeed instinct and survival. The attempt to preserve the species. What if all emotions, guilt, anger, fear, love, are instinctual traits to help us as a physical being and species on this earth survive? The only difference then between us and, say, a bear, is that we have a brain capable of higher levels of cognition ....capable of asking "Why?" and "How?". Not only do we truly not know these answers, but i think this leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, and even fabrication...attempting to give our lives the meaning we believe it has/deserves. I dont know im rambling but this is really interesting stuff to me.

I think the bottom line is we humans...as animals with a brain capable of higher cognitive thinking, (a higher conscious ability possibly?...who knows consciousness is so unknown still), make decisions and actions with our own survival and well being as a guide, or at least, the survival and well being of our species, as a guide. We never make a decision without consciously or sub consciously expecting something in return. In fact thats the foundation of a healthy long lasting relationship. I make you laugh you make me laugh. I help you out of a financial bind you help me out of a financial bind. (for example) For the most part, everythign is reciprocated on a fairly equal level. (no one likes to be taken advantage of right?)

Anyway thanks for the responses everyone! I appreciate it.

Back