Evangelizing

Did I say that or even remotely imply that? No. The problem isn't the message, it's the messengers. If someone isn't ready to receive and they're approached and hammered by a "christian" what's that going to do? Reinforce their despise. There's no justification for doing wrong to do right. That's dogmatism and unrighteous. Jesus said what to do, and you just proved my point. Please reread what I wrote above.

How did I just prove your point? Which point did I prove for you, please? You sound very angry!

I re-read your post, and maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but it sounded like you were saying Christians should not evangelize on the street, but instead should go into people's houses?

How did I just prove your point? Which point did I prove for you, please? You sound very angry!

I re-read your post, and maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but it sounded like you were saying Christians should not evangelize on the street, but instead should go into people's houses?
Again, neither suppositions are correct. I'm not angry, don't read emotions in text without emoticons. :D Try this out:

Psalms 127:1 (KJV)
A Song of degrees for Solomon. Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh [but] in vain.

Understand now?

Again, neither suppositions are correct. I'm not angry, don't read emotions in text without emoticons. :D Try this out:

Psalms 127:1 (KJV)
A Song of degrees for Solomon. Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh [but] in vain.

Understand now?

Is this correct: You are saying that God Himself will draw the ready hearts to the place of acceptance of Jesus? And...that Christians(watchman) should not try to do so (and by that I mean you are saying Christians are not to street evangelize?)

Is this correct: You are saying that God Himself will draw the ready hearts to the place of acceptance of Jesus? And...that Christians(watchman) should not try to do so (and by that I mean you are saying Christians are not to street evangelize?)
Half way there... yes the heart that's ready to receive will draw someone to them by God, not man. Ok, look at it like this: If God is working on a heart, a hard heart, and some christian of his own will knocks on their door and tells him he's going to hell if he doesn't repent. What's that hard heart going to do? Reject the message. What's happened to the hard heart? It's gotten harder. Now, take this same man with the hard heart, and God allows something to break it. The man is at his wits end and finally cries out to God for help. God asks His messenger (the obedient Christian) to go and speak with him. What do you think will happen?

We're to plant, but if the ground isn't prepared our work and words are in vain. To do anything without the Lord's direction is nothing more than dead works. Works of faith is to be obedient to the seemingly oddest request of God, which takes a mature person in the Lord hear Him and to do that. If the sower doesn't know how to listen to God how is he going to plant correctly? If he plants in winter, the birds are happy, but no crops. There is a time and place for everything and only God can direct when and where and what to say to perform the miracle of birth.

I hope this helps.

Half way there... yes the heart that's ready to receive will draw someone to them by God, not man. Ok, look at it like this: If God is working on a heart, a hard heart, and some christian of his own will knocks on their door and tells him he's going to hell if he doesn't repent. What's that hard heart going to do? Reject the message. What's happened to the hard heart? It's gotten harder. Now, take this same man with the hard heart, and God allows something to break it. The man is at his wits end and finally cries out to God for help. God asks His messenger (the obedient Christian) to go and speak with him. What do you think will happen?

We're to plant, but if the ground isn't prepared our work and words are in vain. To do anything without the Lord's direction is nothing more than dead works. Works of faith is to be obedient to the seemingly oddest request of God, which takes a mature person in the Lord hear Him and to do that. If the sower doesn't know how to listen to God how is he going to plant correctly? If he plants in winter, the birds are happy, but no crops. There is a time and place for everything and only God can direct when and where and what to say to perform the miracle of birth.

I hope this helps.
Have you ever heard the saying "Don't turn off someone God is turning on?". Mark 16:15 says something very different from your interpretation btw.

I hope this helps.

Yes, thank you! It helped a great deal for you to explain what you meant to me. I have another question...(of course...)

Please clarify for me your thoughts on street evangelizing in general. I'm still getting the idea that you disapprove of it for the reasons you mentioned in your post to me, and even though you are saying (I think you are saying anyways) we will come across hard hearts and possibly inflict enough disgust in their hearts to even turn them harder...well, I'm not quite ready to discard the idea of street evangelizing...so could you tell me if you disapprove entirely of street evangelizing, or do you approve of it in some circumstances (depending on the Holy Spirit's guidance)?

We as Christians are full of enthusiasm about the message of God's love. In my experience there haven't been too many people I've told about Jesus who didn't know about Him already and have either adopted a Christian faith already or were not receptive to doing so. I do know that when I encounter strangers in the street I am wary of those who want to speak to me - we are told growing up not to talk to strangers. And I think that's what concerns me most of all, coming across like a creepy stalker trying to win the souls of complete strangers over. As Christians we should never appear predatory or deceptive about our actions.

Why not wear a shirt that says "Ask me about Jesus"? That way you show people you're willing to talk to them but doing so entirely within their comfort zone.

I hope this helps.

Abdicate~
I'm trying to get really clear on what you're saying because it is my observation that Jesus did street evangelizing most of his ministry. There were many hard hearts there, yet that didn't stop Him from teaching. The hard hearts will be turned off by ANY thing pertaining to the gospel, yet we are obligated to deliver the gospel anyways. Granted, our own motives must be pure and guided by the Holy Spirit, but even then...the hard hearts can still be turned off. Their choice is not our responsibility because we tried to show them...their choice is their own responsibility. We can only do what the gospel tells us to do (and I do agree our approach must be Spirit-led) and if they harden their hearts, then they harden their hearts. We have no control over that.

I imagine you may be getting exasperated with me because I don't seem to understand what you're saying...but it's not intentional on my part.

I hope this helps.

Abdicate~
I'm trying to get really clear on what you're saying because it is my observation that Jesus did street evangelizing most of his ministry. There were many hard hearts there, yet that didn't stop Him from teaching. The hard hearts will be turned off by ANY thing pertaining to the gospel, yet we are obligated to deliver the gospel anyways. Granted, our own motives must be pure and guided by the Holy Spirit, but even then...the hard hearts can still be turned off. Their choice is not our responsibility because we tried to show them...their choice is their own responsibility. We can only do what the gospel tells us to do (and I do agree our approach must be Spirit-led) and if they harden their hearts, then they harden their hearts.

I imagine you may be getting exasperated with me because I don't seem to understand what you're saying...but it's not intentional on my part.
We as Christians are full of enthusiasm about the message of God's love. In my experience there haven't been too many people I've told about Jesus who didn't know about Him already and have either adopted a Christian faith already or were not receptive to doing so. I do know that when I encounter strangers in the street I am wary of those who want to speak to me - we are told growing up not to talk to strangers. And I think that's what concerns me most of all, coming across like a creepy stalker trying to win the souls of complete strangers over. As Christians we should never appear predatory or deceptive about our actions.

Why not wear a shirt that says "Ask me about Jesus"? That way you show people you're willing to talk to them but doing so entirely within their comfort zone.

That's a good idea about the T-shirt. Or using other ways to show immediately what you are approaching them for. Absolutely I agree that predatory and deceptive actions should not take place in street evangelizing. But should street evangelizing no longer take place because of some christians who do that?

But should street evangelizing no longer take place because of some christians who do that?
I would be really interested in knowing how effective it is. If it works, great, I mean you can't argue with results. I only know for myself I'd like to receive an invitation to something which I could either accept or decline rather than have someone approach me in the street putting me on the spot.

I would be really interested in knowing how effective it is. If it works, great, I mean you can't argue with results. I only know for myself I'd like to receive an invitation to something which I could either accept or decline rather than have someone approach me in the street putting me on the spot.

I know street evangelizing does not reach everyone...that's obvious. But on the other hand, how does one not know that God doesn't have several heart-ready souls walking down the street at the very time one goes to speak the gospel? If an evangelist is inspired by the Holy Spirit, I would hope they could read the body language of the one they approach to see if they "turning them off or on". Wisdom is a great teacher!

Yes, thank you! It helped a great deal for you to explain what you meant to me. I have another question...(of course...)

Please clarify for me your thoughts on street evangelizing in general. I'm still getting the idea that you disapprove of it for the reasons you mentioned in your post to me, and even though you are saying (I think you are saying anyways) we will come across hard hearts and possibly inflict enough disgust in their hearts to even turn them harder...well, I'm not quite ready to discard the idea of street evangelizing...so could you tell me if you disapprove entirely of street evangelizing, or do you approve of it in some circumstances (depending on the Holy Spirit's guidance)?
I don't know why I've never mentioned it. Anything the Lord says to do is what He wants done. The issue is if you do it just because you think it's right to do, without the Holy Spirit, is your own dead works.

Have you ever heard the saying "Don't turn off someone God is turning on?". Mark 16:15 says something very different from your interpretation btw.
And I disagree because all I've said is it must be done by the Holy Spirit not because someone feels it's the right thing to do, it's of the flesh and means nothing and does nothing for the Kingdom. If God tells one to preach on the street corner, wonderful, but it's been my experience that the vast majority of Christians don't have a clue what the will of God is for this life at that very moment so they go about doing what THEY think is right and well, God just ain't in it. I'm just as guilty and I point no fingers at anyone except myself. When I do what the Lord says to do, things happen. If I do the exact same thing without the Lord, nothing happens and the devil has an occasion to attack me and bring me low, because "I" see nothing's happened. I hope this clears it up. I don't know what else to say, but I do not like being told I said something when I didn't.

Interesting topic. Here is a thought, does a person's faith evoke the Holy Spirit? A person who doubts should not expect to receive anything from the Lord, does this include His Spirit? I agree that without the Holy Spirit, it is impossible to open someones eyes to the Gospel. So how does a person know that the Holy Spirit is with them when they are preaching the gospel? Is it through faith?

And I disagree because all I've said is it must be done by the Holy Spirit not because someone feels it's the right thing to do, it's of the flesh and means nothing and does nothing for the Kingdom. If God tells one to preach on the street corner, wonderful, but it's been my experience that the vast majority of Christians don't have a clue what the will of God is for this life at that very moment so they go about doing what THEY think is right and well, God just ain't in it. I'm just as guilty and I point no fingers at anyone except myself. When I do what the Lord says to do, things happen. If I do the exact same thing without the Lord, nothing happens and the devil has an occasion to attack me and bring me low, because "I" see nothing's happened. I hope this clears it up. I don't know what else to say, but I do not like being told I said something when I didn't.
I have to respectfully disagree. Check out Matthew 10:32-33 and Luke 12:8-9. I believe the truth of the Gospel is a great thing to be given by God and as such there stands an obligation to spread the news of that gift to others. Check out Luke 12:48 and then read Matthew 25:14-30, to me it is clear. God has already given the command to spread the Gospel into all the world and all creation, all you have to do now is obey.

Interesting topic. Here is a thought, does a person's faith evoke the Holy Spirit? A person who doubts should not expect to receive anything from the Lord, does this include His Spirit? I agree that without the Holy Spirit, it is impossible to open someones eyes to the Gospel. So how does a person know that the Holy Spirit is with them when they are preaching the gospel? Is it through faith?

...very good question!
Sometimes I have witnessed to people without knowing that I had been witnessing, but only figure it out when the person obviously gets the light in their eye (like a lightbulb coming on) and shows interest for more. Afterwards, I realize the Holy Spirit had been working on them and also through me.

But other times when I was consciously trying to talk to them, the dialogue failed completely. Both times, my own faith was active; however, it may be my personal motives got in the way when the dialogue failed.

I'm learning... and I like your question and would appreciate hearing from others what they think about whether or not faith evokes the Holy Spirit. I've always heard the Holy Spirit is like the wind and no one knows where it goes next.

I wonder if the concept of "evoking" the Holy Spirit would be condemned (kinda like "summoning")?

Yep! It's all by faith. Faith to listen. Faith to hear. Faith to do. Faith to wait. Faith to obey. If we do it of our own works, then it's dead works:

Matthew 7:22-23 (KJV)
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I have to respectfully disagree. Check out Matthew 10:32-33 and Luke 12:8-9. I believe the truth of the Gospel is a great thing to be given by God and as such there stands an obligation to spread the news of that gift to others. Check out Luke 12:48 and then read Matthew 25:14-30, to me it is clear. God has already given the command to spread the Gospel into all the world and all creation, all you have to do now is obey.
Acknowledged.

Back