Don‘t mention that name!

Ohh, I see. I don't understand that!

Hey Spinning .... Did you see the explanation GodSpeaks gave ?

There were no vowels in the name of God. So it would be difficult to pronounce. Later vowels where given.
They believed the name of God was too holy and sacred to say and they didn't want His name blasphemed. So if they could not say it, it could not be blasphemed.

Ha, I did. I looked back. I was just in class so I couldn't respond :) :) But yes, now I understand. That's interesting!

Hey Spinning .... Did you see the explanation GodSpeaks gave ?

There is also a good explanation in the preface of the Revised Standard Version:

While it is almost if not quite certain that the Name was originally pronounced "Yahweh," this pronunciation was not indicated when the Masoretes added vowel signs to the consonantal Hebrew text. To the four consonants YHWH of the Name, which had come to be regarded as too sacred to be pronounced, they attached vowel signs indicating that in its place should be read the Hebrew word Adonai meaning "Lord" (or Elohim meaning "God"). The ancient Greek translators substituted the work Kyrios (Lord) for the Name.

I was thinking about this thread this week because there are so many places today that will not say Merry Christmas for fear that they will offend someone by mentioning "Christ".
How far people have gotten away from godliness! Everyone used to say Merry Christmas and only one person has said that to me this season, yet its one week until Christmas. They sure want you to buy their products for Christmas gifts though.

Don‘t mention that name!

Acts 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Acts 4:14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.
15But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,
16Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
17But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
18And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.
19But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
20For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.
21So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.

Why are people so afraid to speak that name? Some may say “God” or another religious founder’s name, but not Jesus. There is fear of man. And also being politically correct.

Verse 14-16 shows they couldn’t deny it was a miracle. But the religious do not want miracles and are jealous of Jesus, which are other reasons. They want to receive the honor but they won’t pay the price to be used of God. They don’t have the power of God, for the power is only in the name of Jesus and they don’t know Him. The religious and many non believers do not believe in miracles. So how can they stop it? Commanding us to stop speaking His name.

There is such power in that name, not in anyone else’s name!

Philippians 2:10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Don’t be ashamed of the name of Jesus.

Mark 8:38Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

We know ‘Christ ’ is not Jesus’ last name, as some think. :smiley90: LOL ! But they DO know who it represents whether they deny it of not. If they didn’t know, there wouldn’t be such a fuss about it. Christ means “anointed”. The Messiah, the "anointed" one, was the one to come who would save the world from their sins. And many want to believe their own religious leader will be the Messiah. Most religions do believe in one who will come some day.

The Messiah, the LORD Jesus Christ, has already come and by the signs of the times, is soon coming again!

Matthew 10:32Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven
33But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Excellent post my good friend. Amen and AMEN!

Back