Dogs in the Bible

Lot of baseless asumptions on your part. Animals are just as much part of God's creation as we are. Animals do have free will, the same free will we have. What they do not have is the "sin nature", as such they do not need salvation, as they cannot sin.

I could be wrong, but I thought when Klub said that animals don't have free will, he meant in the same sense that man does through his likeness of God.

I do think there are animals in heaven, but there are animals for sure on the new earth. For pets I don't know. Why would you have a dog or a cat while you also can sit next to a lion or wolf. If you're asking if your pet is going to heaven, I don't think so. Animals have no soul, so for me I think dead is dead. But if I'm wrong, I certainly want to check out the lions that didn't eat Daniel.

Lot of baseless asumptions on your part. Animals are just as much part of God's creation as we are. Animals do have free will, the same free will we have. What they do not have is the "sin nature", as such they do not need salvation, as they cannot sin.

My assumptions aren't baseless.
Animals do not have the same free will we have, they do not have the thought process that humans do, and they do not know right from wrong naturally. What is right for one dog, may be wrong for another. There is no cognitive thought in animals

The lord explicitly sets us apart from animals, as we have reign over animals. We are able to consume animals as the lord provides, and we are of more worth to God than animals.

I understand that I can pick and choose verses to support any argument I want, and maybe I'm wrong. But thats why it is my belief.

How can you say animals have no soul?
Evidence? Those that dont believe in Jesus dont seem to have souls either. But Im sure if we show an animal kindness, its like being Jesus to them and they respond. Or an animal shows kindness to us.

You might want to read 'born free' by joy adamson...or 'gorillas in the mist' by diane fossey. The wild ones may eat us, but its only cos they learned humans to be feared. Some animals do trust us. Only cos we show kindness. I suppose if you never had a pet or loved one you wouldnt understand this.

Anyway. Im pretty sure The animals I knew that have passed on gonna be in heaven cos told Jesus about it. He can do anything. Not all the pets as some were naughty but the ones who responded to kindness. Its like babies in heaven. You dont know they saved or not...but God gives them grace especially to mothers who lost theirs when really young. For their mothers sake.

It is really upsetting to lose a pet...so there has to be a heaven for them. heaven would just not be heaven if there were no animals and just random animals that didnt even know us. Thats what I believe anyway, and the people who want to persuade me otherwise are just sad IMHO. Its like they hate animals and think only humans are worthy to be saved. Well, as indicated by Noahs Ark, God loved the animals as well. Otherwise he could have just put Noah and his family on the ark with no animals at all.

Nevertheless man being in honour abideth not: he is like the beasts that perish -psalm 49:12

We see no scriptural evidence that the Holy Spirit pours into the soul of an animal. I show my dog kindness and love, but in the end, if you were to throw it into the wild, she would lose all she has known and turn into a feral dog.

When I say animals aren't going to heaven, it's not because I don't love them, or that God doesn't love them. It's because I cannot find evidence, or a reason for it.
The joy of earthly relationships and pets Does not even compare to the joys set aside in heaven. To fret over if your pet will be there is futile, because it's of God's perfect will

Last edited:
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Animals didn't receive the breath of life. So there is a big difference between human an animal.

Ecclesiastis 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
The spirit of an animal clearly doesn't go up to heaven. We still could discuss the differences between spirit and soul.

Well, as indicated by Noahs Ark, God loved the animals as well. Otherwise he could have just put Noah and his family on the ark with no animals at all.
How about the fish? They weren't on the Ark. Genesis 6:20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

Well. Animals breathe. Maybe they dont have Gods breath in them. I dont know. But I think its odd to claim there will be no animals in heaven. Thats just a bit strange.

Duh. Fish breathe underwater. God LOVES fish. he made the great whales. In fact, they get a better deal than land animals, cos they didnt need the ark.
Also, Jesus really liked fish. Eating them that is.

In revelation it says there will be no more sea.
There could possibly be a lake in the new heaven, and streams of lving water, but there wont be any sea.

Go back to Verse 19 how do you explain that then?
And verse 20?

all goes to one place. 'All one breath'. Maybe its a rhetorical question. Who knows?

Cos it clearly says man has no preeminence over the beast, so don't go congratulating yourself you not born an animal.

I just think you being facetious now. Sorry mieppe...you got to read your bible all the way thru not pick verses out of context.

Someone said previously that preachers bark.
I had the unpleasant experience of being barked at over the phone by lady who demanded me to come to her home group. She means well, but...in certain behaviours, she reminded me of a dog that bites back. like I said I couldnt make it. Then she returned a txt that said thought you said you wanted prayer...best do it in a group. I never said such a thing.
She also got miffed that I didnt return her txt straight away, not that there was anything to return.

Now I understand some things about the church I used to attend. Some of the ppl were covetous. They have their eye on you or your stuff, and then beg for it. They wont let you go. They are real friendly...too friendly like dogs that come up and lick you and ambush you. They feel bereft if you dont pay them any attention. They assume things about you that arent true. And i noticed in prayer time, certain prayers they prayed were really against other people. I dont think thats Gods purpose in prayer to backstab other people and get them to do what you want without looking at yourself and how you contributed to the situation.

Is this what is meant by a dog? Or wolf in sheeps clothing? That turn and rend you? Is it like those that seek to use you...cos they hungry, they dont want to love or love you..they just want to be fed and only friendly if you have food for them? Cos I know dogs only like their masters that feed them. If someone else starts feeding them, suddenly they all friendly.

I mean..casting aside the whole prostitute angle. I think. Well, maybe dogs since they so in your face when they mating. this just extends to other behaviours like showing off, working like a slave...being unclean. Backbiting other people. Ganging up on ppl, as dogs hunt in packs. Being hostile to strangers instead of welcoming them as we meant to be hospitable. Would these be similar traits in humans. Biting the hand that feeds you. Howling at the moon, which you cant do anything about. Digging up past sins like a dog digs up soil to bury a bone. Chasing ones tail. Returning to ones vomit. Do dogs really return to their vomit??? Yuck. I remember this one dog, sat for, she would dig out the garbage can and eat sanitary towels. As never had a dog before I didnt know that dogs did this in general. i was horrified.
Also cleaning up their poo was not nice. They never buried like cats did.

There are definitely animals in heaven, cos of Noahs ark. They are Gods creation. I dont know why some ppl think there aren't. Just I dont know about dogs. There wont be any dangerous or unclean ones at any rate.
Hang on... What about the part where the lion will lie next to the lamb. Sorry, that's all I recall for know.
Does this not confirm animals in God's paradise. I recall the lion will chow the cud like the sheep.
To be honest, I would love to see that.
I also think that certain references to dogs are actually "low life" people, but not dogs themselves.
Something else about domesticated dogs. Have you ever gave a dog something with whole corn kernels. They cannot even digest that, a dog does not have a strong digestive system, and could return to their dump-site to augment required bacteria (theory only).
Elephants also need to do that, for a fact.
Then there is the argument about animals not having a soul - and thus will not make it to heaven.
I myself is more a dog person than a cat person, maybe due that that loyalty factor you find in dogs compared to cats.

Dogs being domestic is also a very cultural thing. While it's extremely common here in the states or in many first world countries, it's not as common in third world cultures. My wife's father is from El Salvador, and when she would go to visit her grandmother there, she described San Miguel as looking like something out of a Spaghetti Western. One of the things is that dogs aren't pets there -- they are often stray and filthy.
Actually, that's too broad. I live in a third world country, and dogs are huge here. AS a family we have had many dogs, and of many different breeds also, even the dreaded Rottweiler, we've had many and loved them. Many families nowadays in South Africa has dogs as part of the family, some keep them purely as a repellent to burglaries, but for me, dog's have always been part of the family. We love cats too, but I favour a good playful dog like Labrador or golden retriever.
We also have stray dogs throughout the country, ones being kept in rural areas, not well kept where whole families of dogs become absolute scavengers again. Too many are being put down because man tires of them like he tires of his cell phone. Negligence is a big problem here, but that extent to own children, neighbours, families and elderly people, so also cats and farm animals, the dog does not stand out.

Going to the subject of souls, as I understand it, every living thing has a soul -- not just human beings, and in fact, not just animals. Plants, being living creations of God, have souls as well. The word soul in Latin is anima which refers to the animated principle of a living thing.

That said, non-human animals and plants have a "material soul" if you will -- an identify that makes them distinctly one of a kind, while humans have spiritual soul and are rational. This is what makes a person a person. This is why God and His angels are persons (though they aren't human).

Whether material souls do go to heaven or not is something I can't say for sure. I'm inclined to believe that they do not go to heaven (not to say they go to hell -- it would mean they don't have an afterlife), but I've also heard sensible cases for why they do go to heaven. It's far beyond me right now and to ask this is to go further into the question of what is a soul and what is a person.

Actually, that's too broad. I live in a third world country, and dogs are huge here. AS a family we have had many dogs, and of many different breeds also, even the dreaded Rottweiler, we've had many and loved them. Many families nowadays in South Africa has dogs as part of the family, some keep them purely as a repellent to burglaries, but for me, dog's have always been part of the family. We love cats too, but I favour a good playful dog like Labrador or golden retriever.
We also have stray dogs throughout the country, ones being kept in rural areas, not well kept where whole families of dogs become absolute scavengers again. Too many are being put down because man tires of them like he tires of his cell phone. Negligence is a big problem here, but that extent to own children, neighbours, families and elderly people, so also cats and farm animals, the dog does not stand out.

Your right, my answer was very broad. It really can vary culture to culture.

Yes that seems to confirm it for me...lions lying down with lambs.
Cats are loyal too. In fact, more loyal than dogs and you dont need to leash them or train them for them to be loyal to you. And they can be very playful.

Back