Does the "Rose of Sharon" symbolize Jesus?

Does the "Rose of Sharon" symbolize Jesus?

IS THE ROSE OF SHARON REFERRING TO JESUS?

Is the Rose of Sharon a symbol for Jesus? Was the Rose of Sharon some sort of healing balm used in ancient Israel? When I read Song of Solomon, I asked myself that question.

Easton's Bible Dictionary gives the following explanation:
"Sharon was a plain, a level tract extending from the Mediterranean to the hill country to the west of Jerusalem, about 30 miles long and from 8 to 15 miles broad, celebrated for its beauty and fertility (1 Chronicles 27:29; Isaiah 33:9; 35:2; 65:10). The 'rose of Sharon' is celebrated (Song of Solomon 2:1). It is called Lasharon (the article la being here a part of the word) in Joshua 12:18 "

The Song of Solomon uses the phrase "rose of Sharon" to describe the beauty of a young woman [2:1]. The plain of Sharon was known for its beautiful flowers in the time of Solomon. The entire second chapter of the Song of Solomon is quite poetic:

"I [am] the rose of Sharon, [and] the lily of the valleys. As the lily among thorns, so [is] my love among the daughters. As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so [is] my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit [was] sweet to my taste. He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me [was] love.

I believe it states of a beautiful flower spesies. But does it carry any symbol towards faith?

Share your opinion on this...

The plain of Sharon was known for its beautiful flowers in the time of Solomon. The entire second chapter of the Song of Solomon is quite poetic:

"I [am] the rose of Sharon, [and] the lily of the valleys....

Lilies are indeed quite beautiful. Even Christ recognizes their glamor:

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these
Mat 6:28-29

Is the Rose of Sharon a symbol for Jesus?

Christ was symbolized as a star, a root, a lion, a worm, a rock, and many, many more. So why not a rose of sharon?

The Rose of Sharon is beautiful. So is God:

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple
Psalms 27:4

My 3rd most favorite verse. Since God the Father is beautiful, no doubt Christ is the same:

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high
Heb 1:2-3

Christ is the express image of the Father. So if the Father is beautiful, so is our Lord Jesus Christ.

The love mentioned in the Song of Songs is great. It could be regarded as the love of God towards Israel and the love of Christ towards the Church.

Major

Is the Rose of Sharon a symbol for Jesus? Was the Rose of Sharon some sort of healing balm used in ancient Israel? When I read Song of Solomon, I asked myself that question.

Easton's Bible Dictionary gives the following explanation:
"Sharon was a plain, a level tract extending from the Mediterranean to the hill country to the west of Jerusalem, about 30 miles long and from 8 to 15 miles broad, celebrated for its beauty and fertility (1 Chronicles 27:29; Isaiah 33:9; 35:2; 65:10). The 'rose of Sharon' is celebrated (Song of Solomon 2:1). It is called Lasharon (the article la being here a part of the word) in Joshua 12:18 "

The Song of Solomon uses the phrase "rose of Sharon" to describe the beauty of a young woman [2:1]. The plain of Sharon was known for its beautiful flowers in the time of Solomon. The entire second chapter of the Song of Solomon is quite poetic:

"I [am] the rose of Sharon, [and] the lily of the valleys. As the lily among thorns, so [is] my love among the daughters. As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so [is] my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit [was] sweet to my taste. He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me [was] love.

I believe it states of a beautiful flower spesies. But does it carry any symbol towards faith?

Share your opinion on this...

Morning Darlin! To answer your question quickly, YES.
Remember that the Song of Solomon is a parabolic poem. It is a picture of physical, human, wedded love.

Now 2:1..."I am the rose of Sharon and the lilly of the valleys".
If this is the bride who is speaking, this is then a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ and His reflected beauty. The statement made is one that none of the sons of men could make. Many believe, (I being one also) that these are the words of Jesus not the bride here.

Christ is the lily of the valleys, He is pure, He is lovely, He is beautiful, therefore His bride ia a lilly also because she bears the image of His loveliness and reflects it toward men. That is what the church (bride of Christ) is to do today. We, the church, body of believers are to reveal, reflect Christ to a world that is filled with thorns, briars, and thistles, the beauty of Jesus Christ.

Back