Does "the New Testament" Say Anything Against Blasphemy

Let's start with agreeing to approach the context in humility. Using the science of interpretation, how are you concluding that there's a sin that is unforgivable since that concept is competently false in the rest of the bible. So how do you handle this one passage and it's the only passage, the only context in which it is found?
From the first century Jewish perspective a completely sufficient explanation is given.

Not really my brother.

#1.
Matthew 12:32
"And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come".

#2.
Mark 3:28-29
" Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation."

So we do in fact have the witness of two.

Then let us examine Matthew 12:32 carfully. The word "UNPARDONABLE" is not in the Scripture at all.

The literal words are...."It shall not be forgiven" . Therefore, if there is a sin that shall not be forgiven in this life or the next, then that sin is unpardonable. That means "CAN NOT BE PARDONED". The penalty must be paid!!!

If God should forgive one who had committed this sin, then He would cease to be God. God can not and will not forgive one who has committed the unpardonable sin.

So, what is sin????
The Bible gives us the answer in John 3:4.....
"For sin is the transgression of the Law".

So then, what is the Law?
The Law is the revealed will of God in regard to human conduct, including all the Divine commands and precepts proclaimed through Moses.

We are not under Law, but God's Law has not been destroyed or altered. Jesus came into this world in a body of humiliation and in that body He fulfilled every jot and tittle of the Law of God. (Matt. 5:17)

What is "Blasphemy"????
It is irreverence toward anything regarded as sacred. It is indignity offered to God, either in words, or writing or signs with those things claiming the attributes of God. That is from the Webster's dictionary describing what blasphemy was in Jewish customs.

So, what did these men do to whom Jesus spoke these words?
Jesus healed a boy that was possessed with a demon and they said that He did it by the power of Beelzebub, the prince of all demons. Thay gave credit to Satan for the miracle Jesus had done through the Spirit of God. Therefore they spoke IRREVENTLY against the Holy Spirit.

To speak against the Holy Spirit is to speak against God.

John 6:44.......
" No man can come to me except the Father which hath sent Me draw him, and I will raise him up at the last day".

And how does God draw a sinner to Christ?????

Through the power of the Holy Spirit.

John 16:7-8
"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment".

The Spirit of God draws men to Christ. The Spirit uses the Word which is the light, the sword, the hammer, the fire, the incorruptible seed, the bread and the water. The Spirit uses the Word to convict men of their sin and point them to Christ.

Luke 13:3 says.........
"Except ye repent, ye sall all likewise perish".

The Spirit of God not only draws us, He borns us and then indwells us and seals us. So then, what is it that can never be forgiven???????

To refuse, to reject to come to Christ WHO the Holy Spirit has drawn the sinner to is the sin which can not be forgiven, IF...IF that sinner dies in his sin..........He has rejected the salvation offered by the Lord Jesus Christ. One who has "blasphemed" the Holy Spirit has no desire to be saved and when death comes for them.......they will ne lost sinners and the wages for sin is death.

I heard that the ONLY unpardonable sin is if you deny the Holy Spirit. Which is rejecting God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the gift from God.

Absolutely Chili because it is the Holy Spirit which woes the sinner and draws him to Christ. IT is then the sinner that must make to choice to accept or reject Christ as Savior BUT if death overtakes that sinner and he dies in his sin...........
he is unforgiven of his sins and he will go to hell because he was not PARDONDED of his sin.

I thank God every day that He has forgiven me of my sin.......every day!!!!

Absolutely Chili because it is the Holy Spirit which woes the sinner and draws him to Christ. IT is then the sinner that must make to choice to accept or reject Christ as Savior BUT if death overtakes that sinner and he dies in his sin...........
he is unforgiven of his sins and he will go to hell because he was not PARDONDED of his sin.

I thank God every day that He has forgiven me of my sin.......every day!!!!
God afternoon Major,
The crux of this matter is found in the heretical but popular teaching, of today, that everyone is going to Heaven, a.k.a. there is no Hell because a loving God would not do that! This is, of course a basic concept issue on which the World has stubbed it's toe for centuries that has been driven into the Body of Christ by Satan, just recently (the last 2000 years).

We can go to prison, today, for using the seat of the pants for the correction God demands of moms and dads and this is an out cropping of this false teaching. While I was in the Prison Ministry I learned from the prisoners that they knew their parents did not love them for there was no punishment that stuck and limits were seldom found. When I grew up I knew my stepfather, my dad, loved me because when I blew it, real bad, he, not only used the Seat of Correction, he would seat me at the supper or dinner table and we would discuss way, why, where and when for 30 minutes to an hour with me, inaudibly, screaming, just whip me....PLEASE! He knew the whipping did not deter, I hated the lead in and it was more than I ever wanted to stand.

I raised my boy, the same way! God, also loves His children. Now, I taught my son to never, never raise an arm to a Police Officer and when he called from the Hoose-Cow, crying because they had broken three ribs with their batons because he had Jack-Slapped an officer with two more standing less than five feet behind him, I told him to suck it up and he spent 6 months in the County Pea Farm.

He has never gone to jail for anything, ever again and today he will tell anyone that I did the right thing. God, in the scriptures has warned us that He will not strive with us forever. With almost 69 years of experience, now, I see the wisdom to be learned from this, now I pray our youth will realize the truth.

Forgive me for jumping in here at the last, but for every New Testament doctrine there is an Old Testament illustration, so if we look to the book of Exodus we find pharaoh hardened his heart to the reality that he was not god, but rather the God of Moses was the true God, so in rejecting the witness of the Holy Spirit we read, God hardened his heart so that he couldn't believe, God was just affirming a decision he had already made, Paul describes it as being given over to a reprobate mind so that they can't receive the witness of the Holy Spirit.

Blessings,

Gene

You're free to believe what you want.
Why did Paul get forgiveness for that sin?
As I have suggested doing the study I'll shed, I hope, a little light on that. We must be grounded, first, in the Basics of the Judea Christian belief and then never to forget to use that ?lens? for working out the issues, some of them tough, of the scriptures. So it is that God has revealed to us that He is Omnipotent and All Knowing. God knew, before the Earth ever received Adam, that Pharaoh would never change his mind nor ever bow to His will and as a result, God used Pharaoh to glorify Himself with, and thus Pharaoh died Blaspheming the Holy Spirit, a.k.a. God.

Again. God knew before Adam that Saul/Paul was sincere about his worship/God knew Saul's heart, just as He knew Pharaoh's and God knew, before the Earth was formed, that Paul, much like Bill Taylor, would, one day, bend his knee and serve Him, His Son and the Spirit. There is still much to be learned from doing the Nave's study but I pray this helps.

God bles.

God afternoon Major,
The crux of this matter is found in the heretical but popular teaching, of today, that everyone is going to Heaven, a.k.a. there is no Hell because a loving God would not do that! This is, of course a basic concept issue on which the World has stubbed it's toe for centuries that has been driven into the Body of Christ by Satan, just recently (the last 2000 years).

We can go to prison, today, for using the seat of the pants for the correction God demands of moms and dads and this is an out cropping of this false teaching. While I was in the Prison Ministry I learned from the prisoners that they knew their parents did not love them for there was no punishment that stuck and limits were seldom found. When I grew up I knew my stepfather, my dad, loved me because when I blew it, real bad, he, not only used the Seat of Correction, he would seat me at the supper or dinner table and we would discuss way, why, where and when for 30 minutes to an hour with me, inaudibly, screaming, just whip me....PLEASE! He knew the whipping did not deter, I hated the lead in and it was more than I ever wanted to stand.

I raised my boy, the same way! God, also loves His children. Now, I taught my son to never, never raise an arm to a Police Officer and when he called from the Hoose-Cow, crying because they had broken three ribs with their batons because he had Jack-Slapped an officer with two more standing less than five feet behind him, I told him to suck it up and he spent 6 months in the County Pea Farm.

He has never gone to jail for anything, ever again and today he will tell anyone that I did the right thing. God, in the scriptures has warned us that He will not strive with us forever. With almost 69 years of experience, now, I see the wisdom to be learned from this, now I pray our youth will realize the truth.

Amen bro! You did the right thing. TOUGH LOVE!

You get an A+ for being rude but fail at being intelligent. Pushing anyone to inspire a fight is not of God, this is a natural man repsonse and has nothing productive to do with any conversation. Praying for your repentance in this area. As I recall, attitude ajustments can be rough on the soul, so may God bless.

You get an A+ for being rude but fail at being intelligent. Pushing anyone to inspire a fight is not of God, this is a natural man repsonse and has nothing productive to do with any conversation. Praying for your repentance in this area. As I recall, attitude ajustments can be rough on the soul, so may God bless.

Sorry uncle bill, but you were rude too by overlooking my input and then assuming I needed your help interpreting Mt 12. If you look at your first response there is no sharing of truth in your tone. You think you know about this, I think I do, we disagree. Now that you've gotten my point - no hard feelings.

To die in a state of unrepentance. Augustine said in Enchiridion lxxxiii that "he who dies in a state of obstinacy is guilty of the sin against the Holy Ghost." This is my understanding of where the Christian faith regards the unforgivable sin.

Maybe I'm off topic, but th1bill was right in saying those who claim that Hell itself is a false concept because it contradicts the nature of God are drastically missing the point. Hell lacks the nature of God. In fact, Hell lacks God all together. I think we talked about the idea that God created evil recently. It's not so much that God created evil so much as he is Goodness, but like a lack of light is darkness, the lack of God is evil.

OK, so I ask the question................"If a person dies having rejected Christ, how does that result in him being (past tense) beyond forgiveness in this age??" For the word of God clearly states "........but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.".
The "this age" might be argued to mean the years prior to Christ's return, OK so those are the years in which we live and have our being until our bodies die.

Committing unpardonable sin = all God's hope of us making it to heaven is gone = His protection ceases = God or the devil take us out = death. I like to think that all living have hope. There is plenty scripture for that and scripture seems to point in the direction of God bringing swift destruction on those that push past his very high level of toleration.

All who die and go to hell have committed the unpardonable sin in this life. The fallen angels committed it in the spiritual world / 'life to come'. The 'whoever' I would say includes the angels. Unless perhaps some get an out of body experience. But that would then conflict with the Heb 9:27.

I once had a friend who is an unbeliever. I prayed for his salvation and we had some good discussions.....or so I thought.
After having a good discussion one time with him, I prayed that he would open his heart. I believe the Lord told me that the person had blasphemed the Holy Spirit and was beyond redemption. As I continued to observe this person I began to see just how evil he had become and just how closed to the Holy Spirit he is. I saw a gradual decline in the 'niceness' of this person
That would be about 38 years ago yet he is still bodily alive today.

Right on Calvin,

History teaches us Nero was a mild, timid man, until Paul preached the Gospel to him, after his rejection of the Gospel he became a raving lunatic.

Blessings,

Gene

@ Intojoy
Why do you attribute any of the psalms to Moses?

Psalms 90

A Prayer of Moses the man of God.
Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.........

Blessings,

Gene

Sorry uncle bill, but you were rude too by overlooking my input and then assuming I needed your help interpreting Mt 12. If you look at your first response there is no sharing of truth in your tone. You think you know about this, I think I do, we disagree. Now that you've gotten my point - no hard feelings.
Sorry, but you made no point nor points. I know we disagree and I asked you to study and instead you post a pic of you puking? Do you believe Jesus would have done that? I know several ways you could have dropped me to my knees here, but this is just asking for what is happening, right now, or much worse.

Committing unpardonable sin = all God's hope of us making it to heaven is gone = His protection ceases = God or the devil take us out = death. I like to think that all living have hope. There is plenty scripture for that and scripture seems to point in the direction of God bringing swift destruction on those that push past his very high level of toleration.

All who die and go to hell have committed the unpardonable sin in this life. The fallen angels committed it in the spiritual world / 'life to come'. The 'whoever' I would say includes the angels. Unless perhaps some get an out of body experience. But that would then conflict with the Heb 9:27.
Amen! Amen! Amen!

I once had a friend who is an unbeliever. I prayed for his salvation and we had some good discussions.....or so I thought.
After having a good discussion one time with him, I prayed that he would open his heart. I believe the Lord told me that the person had blasphemed the Holy Spirit and was beyond redemption. As I continued to observe this person I began to see just how evil he had become and just how closed to the Holy Spirit he is. I saw a gradual decline in the 'niceness' of this person
That would be about 38 years ago yet he is still bodily alive today.
And, being alive, he still has the hope and the opportunity to repent and be saved. That being true, I, like you, would not fight the Holy Spirit over moving to the next assignment.

Yawning not puking :humor:
To the serious members here, I apologize for this progress juvenile display. To IJ I pray you will grow to be serious and mature. I also ask all others here to join me in praying for the hand of God to touch IJ and for our LORD to begin His instruction and steeling of method.

Back