Does Satan Hear You When.....

Greetings in Christ!!

Me and family was just discussing a little bit on this topic yesterday and I thought Id ask here to see what you folks had to say about it.

It was about praying those secret desires of your heart out to God and being careful to not let Satan hear those prayers. Now to establish some ground rules. Once we accept Christ we are hidden in him and nothing can be revealed out and also knowing that no weapon formed against us shall prosper.

So what we talking about is: Thinking its really good to praise God aloud because we're just meant to but WHEN asking God for those secret desires do we have to be more careful about how we do it so that Satan cannot bring any obstacles our way once he hears those prayer being prayed out to our Father?

I guess some ways to do this would be to pray this in your mind..What do you guys think?

------------------

My argument was that we needn't fear as God is with us so speak aloud and pray to your Father...Any insight on this would be great :)

Cheers

Well I think,(occasionally):) that we should pray silently, not to keep secrets from the enemy, but because we are told to not pray on the street corners, rather pray in our innermost closets..(not quoting verbatim). The innermost rooms or closets would be our minds I am thinking. Question, why would anyone seriously want to pray out load anyway? A prayer of petition I mean....there are prayers of public worship such as liturgical prayer at Church, but that is not generally petitionary prayer which Jake, I figure that is what you are discussing?
As for Satan overhearing our prayers, well he comes mega parsecs short of being omnipresent as the Lord is, so chances are he won't be around any given person 24/7. Then too, neither he nor his apprentice devils want to listen in on conversations where the name of Jesus is being used as an authority thing.
Then there is the problem of receptors for 'transverse mechanical vibrations'...sound. Satan is a spirit... does he have ears?
I don't know, but I doubt it....but maybe he does.
Anyway Jesus told us to not be hypocrites like the pharisees praying in public places, but to go private so that seems the best way to pray.

Since God knows 'the desires of our hearts' AND he looks at the heart condition first. It is not absolutely necessary to pray aloud. There are examples of both silent and vocalized prayer throughout the Bible obviously: I think it is more of an intent issue-why are we saying this prayer- that would deem whether or not we would vocalize said prayer. I pray aloud with my daughter for teaching, I pray aloud with our mens' group, I pray aloud in the congregation, I pray aloud alone sometimes-depends on the reason...

As far as a defensive measure...well from what I know of the Bible, God and the enemy: if you are an active Christian you will come under attack from the enemy no matter what you do. We will have tests, trials, tribulations & persecutions regardless of whether or not we pray out loud. As for the tactics of our enemy, God can allow us to be tempted or even tried in the fire if He so chooses. It is my understanding that the enemy has no power over us individually unless: 1: as I mentioned-God allows it and 2: We allow ourselves-which usually means we are separated/ backslidin in some manner and in need of repentance.

Does God's protection stop the enemy from attacking us? No. Because we will be attacked by agents/ minions of the world. Does that mean they know our deepest thoughts and fears? Only if we let them...I see the attacks of the enemy as random potshots on us until one that works sets in then its like an "Ah HA!" moment for him. And he will continue to use that same temptation/ sin over and over again. That's why we have the word ADDICTION...

Not sure if this really answers your question. But I guess what I am trying to say is, we chose which door to open: the wide door to destruction or the narrow gate to Christ.

We need to not be careless in our speech or in our thoughts.... Jude 1:9. But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.”
We need to remember that Satan had the victory over mankind....it is Jesus who has the victory over Satan on our behalf. We need to obey the word of God especially when dealing with such an enemy as Satan is.
Eph 6:10-18. Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,...............

How can we be wielding the sword of the Spirit when we are being disobedient to the word of God?

Does satan hear you when you pray? No. As Calvin said, he is not omnipresent.

It is fine to pray aloud imo, as long as you are with believers. Prayers are different then too. They more for exhorting and encouraging. Then, personal prayers, as Calvin said, demons avoid Jesus. There are no demons in my house!

But, lets look at the flipside. So what if demons hear our prayer? Chances are the devil and demons already know what we gonna pray for. If we are sick...we probably praying for healing. If we are poor....and so on. What personal prayer could they not assume? Us praying for someone else? They would know you came into contact with the person and that the love of Christ in you would cause you to pray for them.

I cannot think of a prayer that would bother me if demons find out...:confused:. Praying for a wife? They would know that you would, if you single. What prayer request am I missing?

The bible clearly says that God hears the prayers of the righteous, but not those of the evil. God acting on our prayer request is subject only to His will. No demon or the devil has a say or can tamper with it.

Here's a word of wisdom - Do not go and post your deep, uttermost prayers all over facebook.

I know of people going on mission trips posting their plans on facebook in an effort to get support and when they come back they testify how satan hit them around every corner. DUH!

There is a reason Jesus said we should pray in private and it is not just about pride.

Thankyou all for the very interesting insight...

To begin with I didn't know that satan was not omnipresent like the Lord!! Is there any scripture to back this up ? I guess I should have made clear that I wasn't talking about the way hypocrites prayed - like the pharisees etc. But was more about how you speak to your heavenly Father in your closet/ your room when its all quiet and its just you in his presence.

When I mean pray out aloud I meant (I like to prayer under my breath or soft to medium whispering). When I get all excited and get into what im praying about is when i tend to do this. Ive always been one who prayed under his breath, I can't pray in my mind I feel like I go off track most of the time...

But yes when Jesus is around satan definitely wouldn't want to be around so that settles it :). He has gained victory over satan and death and we ought to not live in fear!! :)

Thankyou all once again...

God Bless

Jake, just offhand there are two instances in Job where the Lord asks Satan where he has been and Satan answers from walking to and fro on the Earth or words to that effect. It is late and I'm not going to open bible s/w. Look at chapters 1 &2 of Job. Then I think Rev chapter 12 talks of Satan being kicked out of heaven. Also in Luke someplace Jesus remarks that He saw Satan fall from heaven. If he was omnipresent then he could not be in any one place as distinct from all other possible places, nor could he be excluded from anywhere.
Any way Jake, if you can not find the instances I have referred to, let me know and I'll gladly post them for you.. but just now my eyes are propped open with match sticks.

Jake, you might like to look at Job 1:7, Job 2:2. Then look at Rev 12:7,8,9,10,11,12,13. Luke 10:18.
compare with Jer 23:23,24. 23 Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off? 24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
Hope this helps.

Calvin , thanks for the taking the trouble to post up those references. I will take a look at them when I can. I really find this topic interesting :)

Thanks

Back