Does Church Attendance Equal To A High Spiritual Level?

You make me worry about you bud!!!

If you can't find a good church, is the church the problem?

You mean is the building the problem? No. All I have in my area are Baptist churches and I don't agree with Baptists.
Hebrews 10:25 (NLT)
And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

We will not grow past the point of our disobedience to God.

There are good churches everywhere. We need to STOP trying to find one ourselves that meets our own personal criteria for what we think is good---and ask God to lead us to a good church---then allow Him to do that.

I meet with other Christians, but not in a church building.

Hunting you have to go to church am afraid. been there before were I thought I could survive "on my own" with cable tv preachers or whatever. it doesn't work. I slowly slid away from God. I never ever want that.

Church attendance does not make you more spiritual than anyone else. The fact is........church membership gives you a vote in their business meetings and that is about all it does.

However, I believe every believer should be affliated with a local assembly of believers who are like minded. The reason why a church has 3 or 4 meetings a week is so that every has an opportunity to attend a LEAST one of them because we all have strange and challenging life styles and occupations. If you want to attend ALL of them....wonderful, but at the least you have time to go to one.

Major your approach is balanced. I think for me it all hit home when the pastor said the other sunday, failing to adhere to the x3 a week requirement is "wrong" for want of a better word. he basically said that in reality we are supposed to meet 7 days a week per the book of Acts. don't know but I just felt pressured. that and feeling like each meeting was more of an endurance test for my patience. meetings that end 3.5 hours later on sunday. leaves me with small sunday for me and my peeps. is all am saying.

People should feel comfortable if once a week is all they can give. for me I will do an extra bible study either at a nominated church were I will feel fed or with my loved ones once weekly. I can try and commit to that.

Hunting you have to go to church am afraid. been there before were I thought I could survive "on my own" with cable tv preachers or whatever. it doesn't work. I slowly slid away from God. I never ever want that.
I guarantee you that going to any of the churches I've tried around my home will cause me to stray away more than just being on my own. That doesn't mean that I don't try new churches on occasion, so hopefully the right one will come around. I don't feel the need to have a building to go to anyway, really. That means nothing to me.

Major your approach is balanced. I think for me it all hit home when the pastor said the other sunday, failing to adhere to the x3 a week requirement is "wrong" for want of a better word. he basically said that in reality we are supposed to meet 7 days a week per the book of Acts. don't know but I just felt pressured. that and feeling like each meeting was more of an endurance test for my patience. meetings that end 3.5 hours later on sunday. leaves me with small sunday for me and my peeps. is all am saying.

"And on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight. And there many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together." (Acts 20:7,8).

225 AD The Didascalia (The Teaching of the Apostles) 3. The apostles further appointed: On the fourth day of the week [Wednesday] let there be service: because on that day our Lord made the disclosure to them about His trial, and His suffering, and His crucifixion, and His death, and His resurrection; and the disciples were on account of this in sorrow. (Didascalia 3).

I am not aware of any thing in Acts concerning meeting 7 times a week.

Great stuff Christian. I think to each their own right? I just don't see why a wife would attend church x amount of times a week, especially if husband is unsaved. I am not judging but I would rather be home cooking dinner for him, and catching up on the day, probably running a hot bath for him as well. But my Sunday church and weekly bible study, and ministry I have to carry out for God would be uncompromisable.

I do get there are seasons, and that woman who is at church always probably needs something from God, I get that. I just don't see how spending 4 days a week in church can help your family? Especially also when every meeting seems to drag on and end after 3.5 to 4 hours?

Really guys?

Here's one for you that you might like - In 1st Timothy chapter 3, Paul instruct Timothy that if individual wishes to oversee in the church they must meet various requirements to step forward in that office. One aspect is when Paul (Jesus inpired) mentions that the indivual must rule his own house well and have his children in subjection with all gravity (balance of all aspects of being a parent and husband well) and then Paul says probably one of the most common sense statements in the Word, "for if a man can't take care of the things of his own home, how will he take care of the things of the church?". In other words, if an individual can't love his wife, put his children's needs before his own and oversee his house in a godly way, then how on earth will he take care of 50, 60 or 70 people?

There are many who put a tremendous weight on church attentance and church attendance is good however, not at the expense of our spouse and children. That would break Christ's very command to love your neighbour as yourself (closest neighbour = Family). I think it's great you want to show your husband that Godly love, it all starts in the home, keep loving and loving....

I disagree, I mean you can go to church all throuh out the week but if you get home and do the same mess..what good is it.
Its just an appearence...holy on the outside ,dirty rags inward.

my pastor and I were talking about that Sunday.

I guarantee you that going to any of the churches I've tried around my home will cause me to stray away more than just being on my own. That doesn't mean that I don't try new churches on occasion, so hopefully the right one will come around. I don't feel the need to have a building to go to anyway, really. That means nothing to me.

so you said you meet with fellow Christians instead right. is this weekly?

so you said you meet with fellow Christians instead right. is this weekly?

Not usually, unfortunately. Most of my Christian friends dumped me a while back or aren't interested in talking about the Bible or God. I do call my grandparents and visit them for the sole purpose of discussing the Bible though, especially my grandmother. I really wish that I had more friends, but most the Christian ones leave me.

Not usually, unfortunately. Most of my Christian friends dumped me a while back or aren't interested in talking about the Bible or God. I do call my grandparents and visit them for the sole purpose of discussing the Bible though, especially my grandmother. I really wish that I had more friends, but most the Christian ones leave me.

Why do you think that Christian friends would leave you? That's odd.

Remember, a 'church' can be wherever two or more Christians are together and in fellowship. The church in Christ is meant for edification and fellowship. I would not connect it to salvation however.
I was actually thinking about how I'd like to make a church that meets at a park or something. I love nature and I feel like it it brings me closer to God. I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

I think it's a sign for a Christian band. The name escapes me, but it seems I remember some people at my church in Texas would talk about them having really layered lyrics, heavy instruments and vocals? .....ah! "Awake Oh Sleeper" ? is that it Hunting?

Yeah. Oh, Sleeper is the name. They have awesome lyrics. They were one of the bands that helped me come back to Christ.

Hunting what sign is that?

DavidG is right. The two points at the top (symbolizing the horns of a goat) being gone represents God cutting off the horns of Satan. It's based on a verse in Isaiah.

I was actually thinking about how I'd like to make a church that meets at a park or something. I love nature and I feel like it it brings me closer to God. I'm sure there are others that feel the same.
One of my dad's favorite churches in Mexico started in a field and gradually built up the church around them. When my dad first visited the walls were mostly up, but there was still no roof and the congregation would rejoice in the blessing of the weather and the birds. Bad weather Sundays were tricky though. These folks would just umbrella up and tough it out, but I don't know many Americans that would be up for that.

There's another side to the Church attendance argument. You will often hear, that you will never find the perfect church but you should go anyway out of obedience or because it is important for your spiritual health. But you hear less often about how important your attendance is for the rest of the church.

I get that it doesn't feel great to go to a church where you feel a lot of disconnect with the people there. But what if God created his church diverse, as a body made of many members, in order to balance each other's strengths and weaknesses and sharpen each other ? And what if everyone who felt different kept church hopping until they found a church of people just like themselves? You might end up with....well, seeker churches that are scared of doctrine for fear of frightening off seekers; doctrine churches so focused on catechism that they don't notice it's been years since there was a single new believer; traditional churches so caught up in maintaining the perfect look to their building, parishioners, and programs that they ignore their community or missions; worship churches so caught up in keeping pace with what ever's new that their worship becomes a status symbol for the church more than an offering...

Healthy churches have people with different callings that can argue (with the limits of brotherly love :) ) over how much emphasis is placed on what and hold each other accountable if some vital part of the church identity is being sacrificed for the popular passion of the month!

You may find many churches that offend your conscience in one way or another. You can keep looking until you find one that you slip into with no friction at all and be just another pea in the pod that makes little if any impact. But unless you dig in to advocate for that gap in vision those other churches will never have a chance to change for the better from the diversity of the Body of Christ...and neither, i suppose, will you.

One of my dad's favorite churches in Mexico started in a field and gradually built up the church around them. When my dad first visited the walls were mostly up, but there was still no roof and the congregation would rejoice in the blessing of the weather and the birds. Bad weather Sundays were tricky though. These folks would just umbrella up and tough it out, but I don't know many Americans that would be up for that.

There's another side to the Church attendance argument. You will often hear, that you will never find the perfect church but you should go anyway out of obedience or because it is important for your spiritual health. But you hear less often about how important your attendance is for the rest of the church.

I get that it doesn't feel great to go to a church where you feel a lot of disconnect with the people there. But what if God created his church diverse, as a body made of many members, in order to balance each other's strengths and weaknesses and sharpen each other ? And what if everyone who felt different kept church hopping until they found a church of people just like themselves? You might end up with....well, seeker churches that are scared of doctrine for fear of frightening off seekers; doctrine churches so focused on catechism that they don't notice it's been years since there was a single new believer; traditional churches so caught up in maintaining the perfect look to their building, parishioners, and programs that they ignore their community or missions; worship churches so caught up in keeping pace with what ever's new that their worship becomes a status symbol for the church more than an offering...

Healthy churches have people with different callings that can argue (with the limits of brotherly love :) ) over how much emphasis is placed on what and hold each other accountable if some vital part of the church identity is being sacrificed for the popular passion of the month!

You may find many churches that offend your conscience in one way or another. You can keep looking until you find one that you slip into with no friction at all and be just another pea in the pod that makes little if any impact. But unless you dig in to advocate for that gap in vision those other churches will never have a chance to change for the better from the diversity of the Body of Christ...and neither, i suppose, will you.
I like this post. I really want to find a good church but it's so hard. Honestly, if it was just gathering with Christians I'd be more likely to attend. I feel the members have very little to do with anything during sermons, and I have a hard time listening to a pastor butcher the Gospel. I've been known to walk out in the middle of sermons.

I think a Bible study group would probably be a better environment for me, which is honestly what I feel like church should be anyway.

There are two churches I'd like to try out, but one is Baptist so I'm fairly certain that it won't work out, and the other doesn't appear to have Wednesday night gatherings. I work every weekend so I can't go on Sunday. Maybe I'll find another one soon that has services on days I can attend.

I can only imagine the discussions I would have with my fellow church people. They'd probably ask me to leave like other churches have done.

Back