Doctrine of Christ's Obedience unto the Father

John showed to us in John 2:1-11 the change the change at some point in the earthly life of Christ when He no longer was under the authority of Mary, because He was about His Father's business:

Thoughts?

MM

This serves to provide for us the stark contrast between historic and modern teachings about Jesus, and the alleged need for all to go to Mary as the one to whom believers need to go to in order to appeal to Jesus.

It makes no sense that the One who laid down His own life a ransom for many, would end up being too angry against those for whom He died. I mean, can someone make sense of that for me?

MM

Not to hijack but ive often wondered at what age Jesus realized who He was.

Luke 2:41-52

41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not [of it].
44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among [their] kinsfolk and acquaintance.
45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Yes at 12 He was left behind at the temple. Always wondered if He knew from birth He was God or if it came to Him later. Just one of those things that makes me wonder.
Also wondered, as a boy, how he stayed clear of fist fights, name calling and other 'sinful activity', or was his sinlessness only counted from the time He was baptized, going into ministry?

Yes at 12 He was left behind at the temple. Always wondered if He knew from birth He was God or if it came to Him later. Just one of those things that makes me wonder.

There is another question we can ask in relation to your question of His allegedly 'becoming aware' of HIs Godhood....

Did He ever NOT know who He was/is?

When we consider HIs words of timelessness, the latter question becomes more meaningful for consideration:

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

So, we see from this that He IS before Abraham ever WAS, which goes back before the birthing of the physical body He inhabited to walk this earth. I've even heard the question asked, "When did the eternal Son enter into that body, therefore bringing with Him the knowledge of who He is?"

That question has the fallacy of the assumption that any earthly vessel can live without an eternal soul and spirit within.

Frankly, it's all meaningless when we look back at the entire scope of what He did for us all.

What ya think?

MM

Also wondered, as a boy, how he stayed clear of fist fights, name calling and other 'sinful activity', or was his sinlessness only counted from the time He was baptized, going into ministry?

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

That pretty much says it all.

MM

It was more than His merely being left behind at the age of 12. What's of note to us is what He was doing. The elders were amazed at His wisdom through His questions and His answers. This lends ample evidence that He was not at all an average 12 year old.

MM

A preacher told once of a story where Christ was a small boy and made birds of mud, like mud pies I guess, and they came to life and flew off. Might have been from the apocrypha not sure where he said he read it.

A preacher told once of a story where Christ was a small boy and made birds of mud, like mud pies I guess, and they came to life and flew off. Might have been from the apocrypha not sure where he said he read it.

The question, then, would be...why? All that the Lord did and does has purpose and reason. If He did that, then it had to serve a purpose, as I'm sure we can both agree.

MM

Lol, I've was just talking to someone IRL about Jesus early yrs too. Did he heal any of their sick animals if they had any. Yes how did he do in fights,skinned knees and with his siblings. The gospels and most all movies depict him as singular.

I'm sorry MM but I don't watch online preachers whom ppl name drop in controversy. Not you dropping but I've heard McArthur is either Calvinist or Arminiaist or whatever it is...... ppl argue over their doctrines all the time. I quote Spurgeon a bit bc any quotes I've read are always good.. (smiles)

Lol, I've was just talking to someone IRL about Jesus early yrs too. Did he heal any of their sick animals if they had any. Yes how did he do in fights,skinned knees and with his siblings. The gospels and most all movies depict him as singular.

I'm sorry MM but I don't watch online preachers whom ppl name drop in controversy. Not you dropping but I've heard McArthur is either Calvinist or Arminiaist or whatever it is...... ppl argue over their doctrines all the time. I quote Spurgeon a bit bc any quotes I've read are always good.. (smiles)

Yes, MacArthur is pretty much a Calvinist, as was Sproul and other prominent name people. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they seem to be right on with some things.

MM

Back