Do You Think The Bible Was Written By Men To Keep People In Line??

How about the missing scriptures? The ones that people say are in the Vatican and they won't release them. What about the books written by he other prophets like Mary that were not put in the bible? What about other people like davinci and his code that were able to predict things that are happening and have happened?

The Davinci Code is admittedly totally fiction (the author tells us this in his intro/preface) so forget that one...but as for otther gospels there were none...zero, zilch, nada...other gospels were written by groups like the gnostics in the 2nd and 3rd centuries and they were immediately rejected and dismissed...the earliest church fathers testify to the fact that there were only four (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and that they were written in that order....Matthew's being the most oft quoted until around 200 years after Christ. Why would any responsible church leader want to see the false Gospel of Thomas or Judas or Mary mixed in with the truth?

If the universe was created by a Big Bang, and some unbelievers suggest, than the Bible must have been created n similar fashion;
you know, words just exploded out of the mouth of men, and someone (who knows who) just grabbed some of thos words at random and...voila!...the Bible!

Yeah! One person once said it would be like believing that an explosion in a print shop could produce the Brittanica...NOT!!!

The Davinci Code is admittedly totally fiction (the author tells us this in his intro/preface) so forget that one...but as for otther gospels there were none...zero, zilch, nada...other gospels were written by groups like the gnostics in the 2nd and 3rd centuries and they were immediately rejected and dismissed...the earliest church fathers testify to the fact that there were only four (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and that they were written in that order....Matthew's being the most oft quoted until around 200 years after Christ. Why would any responsible church leader want to see the false Gospel of Thomas or Judas or Mary mixed in with the truth?
I don't know but someone in this forum on another discussion advised me to look up the gnostic ones so I did and found them pretty interesting.

I don't know but someone in this forum on another discussion advised me to look up the gnostic ones so I did and found them pretty interesting.

I own copies of them all but they are not the word of God....they are fiction (with gnostic twists hidden all throughout)...like in Thomas for example among three or four actual quotes from Matthews gospel (obviously copied since Thomas was long dead) the writer throws in that the male must become the female and the female the male (a gnostic hint at their hermaphrodite archetype, which in their belief is that God is a hermaphroditic being...to them a perfect oneness is a union of the male and female principles)...bet you missed that one, right?

In fact in chapter 1 the writer says "when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter the kingdom." And this is allegedly Jesus speaking...as John said about the gnostic Cerinthus "If you see him, flee from him as fast as you can"...learn the Bible first....

Last edited:
I own copies of them all but they are not the word of God....they are fiction (with gnostic twists hidden all throughout)...like in Thomas for example among three or four actual quotes from Matthews gospel (obviously copied since Thomas was long dead) the writer throws in that the male must become the female and the female the male (a gnostic hint at their hermaphrodite archetype, which in their belief is that God is a hermaphroditic being...to them a perfect oneness is a union of the male and female principles)...bet you missed that one, right?

In fact in chapter 1 the writer says "when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter the kingdom." And this is allegedly Jesus speaking...as John said about the gnostic Cerinthus "If you see him, flee from him as fast as you can"...learn the Bible first....
Thank you!

Check out this bible verse, I am a believer in god but when I read this I started thinking...maybe the bible was written to keep people in line. Because if the world was doing the things that are mentioned in the verse below it would be a crazy world and we'd kill each other off. Here's the verse,
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
A believer in god does not constitute being born spiritually. If you are not born from above you will not understand scripture. Do you know The Lord?

Sorry, I haven't read this whole thread, but saw the question at the top "Do you think the bible was written by men to keep people in line?"

My answer is no. It is the living word of God. Every single line that I read from it, God is speaking to me directly. You could get the best debaters in the world, and you still would not be able to convince me that it is not the word of God. I don't trust my government, I don't trust the news, I don't believe most things most people say to me, but the one thing that I will always believe is the word of God.

Sorry, I haven't read this whole thread, but saw the question at the top "Do you think the bible was written by men to keep people in line?"

My answer is no. It is the living word of God. Every single line that I read from it, God is speaking to me directly. You could get the best debaters in the world, and you still would not be able to convince me that it is not the word of God. I don't trust my government, I don't trust the news, I don't believe most things most people say to me, but the one thing that I will always believe is the word of God.

Amen

But how do we know for sure that it's god word? What if it's all written by people. What if they made it all up?

It was written by people. Some of the history can be confirmed and some is not so easy. That being
said the Bible teaches how to have freedom from sin. If you read it from that perspective it would
seem rather absurd to say that it is made up. And if you are not reading it from that perspective
then why are you reading it?

But how do we know for sure that it's god word? What if it's all written by people. What if they made it all up?

You can use lateral thought on Jesus: http://www.thesacredpage.com/2008/04/napoleons-proof-for-divinity-of-jesus.html
or on the Jews: http://www.josh.org/resources/study...is-objective-evidence-that-the-bible-is-true/. or just on what you can see.....intelligent design = God...mankind > animals...goodness exists therefore a good God exists...a good God would want to reach out to His intelligent / accountable for sin creation.

But, better yet you can 'know' Jesus is Lord by a revelation from the Holy Spirit as Peter received Matt 16:16-17 and as we all can receive 1 Cor 12:3.

The only requirement is that you come to God James 4:8 and on His terms Psalm 51:17, James 4:6, Matt 16:24 whilst ever aware of Jer 17:9-10 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”

If it was written by men to keep people in line I would be surprised! How multiple authors over 1500 years could concoct a moral document by writing it as history is beyond me. But if they did, props to them!...

No, the bible is a compilation of historical documents inspired by God to reveal himself to us. It's basically his story, history.
Good point! LOL at the ''old'' :rolleyes:. What exactly was old...the never before heard point or the 'bible is inspired'....

Most of these arguments, whether for or against, when looked at logically tend to fall flat.
The meat of the issue is this: does following the teachings of Christianity cause a difference in the practitioner?
The answer to that is yes.
The greatest Hindus, Moslems, Mormons, etc. who have ever lived were and are still just run-of-the-mill humans.

To be something more than just a human you must be a faithful Christian.

St. Anthony of Padua, St. Francis of Assissi, Padre Pio, and St. Joseph of Cupertino are good examples of what humans can become if they really do devote their lives to Christ.

It was written by people. Some of the history can be confirmed and some is not so easy. That being
said the Bible teaches how to have freedom from sin. If you read it from that perspective it would
seem rather absurd to say that it is made up. And if you are not reading it from that perspective
then why are you reading it?

There seems to be a difference of opinion. I've seen in the latest few posts that the bible is;

1 The indisputable word of God.

2 The history of God, written by people.

3 The word of God, written by people but inspired by God.

What is the accepted origin?

There seems to be a difference of opinion. I've seen in the latest few posts that the bible is;

1 The indisputable word of God.

2 The history of God, written by people.

3 The word of God, written by people but inspired by God.

What is the accepted origin?
1 and 3 with the exception of the ten commandments being written by God and given to Moses.

2 Pet 1:21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1 and 3 with the exception of the ten commandments being written by God and given to Moses.

2 Pet 1:21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

When was the first Christian bible written?

When was the first Christian bible written?
What do you mean? There are different books in the New Testament, which is what I'm assuming you mean, and they were written at different times. Do you mean the that or when the books of the Christian bible collected?

Slow down there Huntingteckel. Some discernment is needed in discussions with atheists. Tubby tubby forgot how to use Google?

Note how Tubby tubby cannot accept his initial questions are DEALT with. He immediately jumps ship. Not that he can't ask that question...but whilst quoting my post.... Intention here is clear = waste of time to discuss further.

Sorry Tubby, I am not ignorant, blind and dumb. Continue this trend I will notify the mods.

Deceitfulness / stumbling Christians 101...I have been to atheist school ;).

Back