Do Christians Need Guns?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Where is the Messiah, Jun 11, 2014.

1. That is not really the case. I do not know any percentages but I do know that it is almost always about money/merchandise in order to buy drugs.

The word is out in a community that a certain man has money in his home and those who are addicted to drugs will do what ever it takes to get that money.

Yes, some do run away once the lights come on and the dog barks.....but that is not the ones we have to be warry of.

2. @Major @LysanderShapiro Great, great thoughtful replies here. This thread is turning into something I would recommend students interested in the subject take a look through. Thanks, all.

Where is the Messiah likes this.
  3. It was said in this thread "people break in because they are desperate and in need".

Sadly, nothing could be farther from the truth.

A drug addict may be desperate for a fix, but it is a want not a need.
    If he had paid more attention to his needs rather than his wants, he would not be a drug addict.

Years ago I worked security (on occasion) at a variety/drug store. Every single shoplifter we caught had the money on his/her person to pay for what he/her was trying to steal. In every case the items stolen were wants and not needs.
    Our culture has completely forgotten what NEEDS are and constantly confuses need with want.

I have an extremely difficult time drumming up any sympathy for criminals.
    Their motivations are always petty and selfish.

TH420X, Major, LysanderShapiro and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  4. I take it you've never worked with addicts. :(
    It is a need that drives them when they rob their mother, their sister, steal from their purse, their jewel box, just to get the items they need to pawn so as to get a fix.
    The body cravings drive them out of their rational mind unto compulsion. Nothing is out of bounds. They'll steal their baby, literally a baby, brothers piggy bank that is in their nursery room collecting future "college fund" money.

I don't have sympathy for criminals either, but I do know that as far as addicts, it is a need. Not a want. Wants can be disciplined.

Where is the Messiah and Major say Amen and like this.
  5. Security at a drug store is one thing but I can promise you that dealing with drug addicts is another thing all together.
    They will do anything to obtain their next fix.....and I mean anything. They do not know the difference between a want or a need.....
    all they know is that they need a fix and will do anything to get it.

Allow me to give you a couple of examples of addicts I know personally and what they do.

#1. This young man asked for the Christmas present back from his mother, so that he could take it back to Wall Mart for a refund so he could buy $35.00 worth of cocaine.

#2. Another young man gave his truck, worth approx. $3000.00 to a dope dealer for $50.00 worth of crack cocaine.

#3. Just last week, a married woman and her husband broke into the home of her parents and stole their TV's, appliances and money while they were at church. They pawned it all and bought $500.00 worth of coke. They are now in jail.

6. Always an honor to speak with you.

7. I agree. Uselly, not all the time but most of the time, a break in or home invasion is done on elderly people not the young.
    My point is that a man or couple of men would not have a real problem in disarming my mother of a knife.

But they certainly do not want to let her pull out her shotgun at any range. No body is going to disarm a grandmother who knows how to fire a Remington 12 gauge.

Scripture Bird likes this.
  8. Amen! Gun control = using both hands! :LOL:

I like 10 gauge myself. ;)

Major likes this.
  9. Ok, in this context I agree. I was speaking of two equally sized opponents. I don't even want my mom to have a gun because I know it can be taken and used against her. That is also the most likely outcome. I'm a firm believer of continual firearms training. Buying a gun and expecting to be able to use it properly is like buying a guitar and expecting to play to a sold out stadium the next day. It takes practice, time, and dedication.

Major likes this.
  10. I am pretty sure I know where you live since you said you were about 45 minutes from Sanford. I am about 15 minutes from Sanford, but just in case you have not heard....a man broke into a home last night in Tavares and beat 3 people to death with a baseball bat.

Kind of brings things home to roost doesn't it!!!

11. Well folks here have all grown up using firearms and even the grandmothers know how to shoot an intruder before they come too near. Training is fine, but in many parts of the US, guns are a just a product of the culture and we learn to shoot squirrels with 22's when we are 10... Ever hear of Sgt. York?

12. New Smyrna Beachside, brother! Did you hear about the guy in Daytona Beach that caught the guy molesting his kid? He beat him down pretty hard. No guns needed!

Growing up using them is training. In your situation, you have LOTS of training. Not sure if that also includes retention, movement, multiples, stress, and other similar drills but it's still lots of training! And, no, I have not heard of Sgt. York. Nor did I Google it so I will wait for you. [emoji6]

Mitspa likes this.
  13. They made a movie...

Alvin York (Gary Cooper), a poor young Tennessee hillbilly, is an exceptional marksman, but a ne'er-do-well prone to drinking and fighting, which doesn't make things any easier for his patient mother (Margaret Wycherly). He changes when he meets Gracie Williams (Joan Leslie), and works hard to become a good provider for her.
    After he is struck by lightning during a late-night rainstorm he undergoes a religious awakening. York vows never to get angry at anyone ever again.
    York tries to avoid induction into the Army for World War I as a conscientious objector because of his religious beliefs, but is drafted nonetheless. His status as a conscientious objector is rejected since his church has no official standing, and he reluctantly reports to Camp Gordon for basic training. His superiors discover that he is a phenomenal marksman and decide to promote him to corporal.
    York still wants nothing to do with the Army and killing. Major Buxton (Stanley Ridges), his sympathetic commanding officer, tries to change York's mind, citing sacrifices made by others all throughout the history of the United States. He gives York a leave to go home and think it over. He promises York a recommendation for his exemption as a conscientious objector if York remains unconvinced. While York is fasting and pondering, the wind blows his Bible open to the verse "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." York reports back for duty and tells his superiors that he can serve his country, despite not having everything figured out to his satisfaction, leaving the matter in God's hands.
    His unit is shipped out to Europe and participates in an attack during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive on October 8, 1918. Pinned down by deadly machine gun fire, the lieutenant orders Sergeant Early (Joe Sawyer) to take some men and try to attack the machine gun nests from behind. York suddenly finds himself the last remaining unwounded non-commissioned officer in the detachment, and is placed in command by Early. Seeing his comrades being shot down all around him, his self-doubt disappears. He works his way to a position flanking the main enemy trench and shoots with such devastating effect that the Germans surrender. Then, York forces a captured officer (Charles Esmond) at gunpoint to order the Germans still fighting in another section of the line to also surrender. He and the handful of other survivors end up with 132 prisoners. York becomes a national hero and is awarded the Medal of Honor. When Major Buxton asks him why he did what he did, York explains that he was trying to save the lives of his men.
    Arriving in New York City, York receives a ticker tape parade and a key to the city. He is impressed with the Waldorf-Astoria hotel and its indoor electricity. Congressman Cordell Hull guides him through the city and informs him that he has been offered opportunities to commercialize on his fame. York rejects the offers saying that he was not proud of what he did in the war, but it had to be done. He tells Hull he wants to go home. He returns to Tennessee. The people of his home state have purchased for him the bottomland farm he wanted and paid for a house to be built on the land.

DavidG and TH420X say Amen and like this.
  14. Ok, I read up until the point that he decided to willfully fight. I will now rent/buy the movie and watch the rest. Cool?

Mitspa likes this.
  15. I remember watching that movie when I little.

Major and Mitspa say Amen and like this.
  16. You haven't heard of Sgt. York??? WW1 hero from Tenn. Captured more enemy troops single handed than any one else....ever!

He could shoot the wings off a fly at 100 yards.

Gary Cooper played him in the movie. He carried a Bible with him during the war. He couldn't read but carried it anyway.

New Smyrna! Good place. I remember when highway 44 ended at the ocean. Lots of change!

17. This is my hometown hero...My mom married his grandson..

18. Wow....You got to be kidding!!! What a blessing that is.

19. Yes I have spent many days playing checkers with Alvins son Andy at a small park they have here for his father. Andy is a park ranger at the park.