1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Do Any Of These Verses Threaten The Loss Of Anyone's Salvation?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Osterloh, Jul 9, 2014.

1. #1 Osterloh, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Might we discuss a few verses, which IMO threaten the loss of salvation?
    I certainly am open to be shown why they do not.
    (Your editor deleted the leading references free of charge.)

, , “If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it
    from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body
    to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is
    more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.”

, “And you will be hated (re: end-times persecution) by all for My name’s sake.
    But he who endures to the end will be saved.”
    (Physical life does not make any sense)

, , “… what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?
    … if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

“… inasmuch as you did not doit (good works/deeds) to one of the least of these, you did
    not do it to Me.And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily,
    and follow Me.For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake
    will save it.For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost?”

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes
    in Him should not perish but have everlasting life … He who believes in the Son has everlasting life;
    and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me
    has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.”

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
    And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish”
    (Not as simple as it looks)

“He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”

“God,who will render to each one according to his deeds: eternal life to those who by
    patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who
    are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,”

“… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether (slaves) of sin leading to death,
    OR (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness … For the wages of sin is death …”

“He condemned sin in the flesh,that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled
    in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according
    to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit,
    the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.”

“For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death
    the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”

“… that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart
    that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes
    unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”

“Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you,
    which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved,
    if you hold fast that word which I preached to you — unless you believed in vain.”

“For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it … that your sorrow led
    to repentance … For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted …”

“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows,
    that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption,
    but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.”

“Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them,
    for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.”

1 Tim 6:9-19 The greedy and the rich (in the church) are warned to stop, and to lay hold on eternal life!

“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift,
    and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers
    of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again
    for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.”

“But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
    Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.”

“… you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith
    … though it is tested by fire, may be found to (be worthy of) praise
    … receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.”

“For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge
    of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome,
    the latter end is worse for them than the beginning (which was eternal death).”

“But you, beloved … keep yourselves in the love of God,
    looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.”

“Whoever hates his brother is a murderer,
    and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”

“Indeed, the devil is about to throwsomeof you into prison, that you may be tested
    … Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown oflife. He who has an ear, let him hear
    what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”

“He who overcomes shall inherit all things,and I will be his God and he shall be My son.
    But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and
    all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
  2. NO!

There are NO Scriptures that tell us a person can lose their salvation AFTER having been really saved the first time!
    JustPassingThru and Ravindran say Amen and like this.
  3. And we can quote verses all day long which give assurance for a person that he will never loose salvation after he is really saved.. This is what many scholars consider as "paradox". Bible has quite a few of them.. Predestination and personal responsibility is one perfect example.. The truth is, both are true.. God predestines people.. At the same time, man has personal responsibility and he reaches heaven or hell because of his actions.. There is no way to reconcile these 2 truth with human wisdom.. Same goes with Trinity.. Jesus being fully man and God when He was in this earth..
    JustPassingThru, christianbacktobasics and Major says Amen and like this.
  4. We could read many of those scriptures as ''He who overcomes / does not live according to flesh = He who gets saved / walks in the spirit''.

Heb 10:29 gives a clear warning to us all. 'How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace'.

1 Cor 11:31 and 2 Cor 13:5 tell us to examine ourselves truthfully. ''Examine yourselves, whether you are in the faith; prove your own selves. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, unless you are counterfeits''

I don't see a conflict between Arminian and OSAS as long as we heed the above. Example: Continue in mortal sin and you shipwreck your salvation or were never saved. Bottom line = continue in mortal sin and you are wise to be nervous of hell.
    Major likes this.
  5. I think this answers your ponderance.
    1 Corinthians 3:10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
    Major and JG27_chili say Amen and like this.
  6. Thanks for answering!
    So, you are saying that these verses (or some of them) threaten loss of eternal life, right?
    Actually, I believe there IS a way to reconcile these 2 types of verses.
    And I believe there is a way to explain the God-man as well.
  7. Yes, you certainly have a good handle on the reality of the situation!
  8. If you like the building passages, how about ...
    Luke 14:28+ “For which of you, intending to build a tower,
    does not sit down first and count the cost,
    whether he has enough to finish it —lest, after he has laid the foundation,
    and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him,
    saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish’? ”

I am wondering if your passage above doesn't pertain to good works/deeds.
    What I am talking about falls more under the heading of obedience,
    co-operating with the Holy spirit in the sanctification-unto-holiness process, etc.
    which I do not consider to be works of any kind, just "your reasonable service" (Rom 12:1).
  9. Do not believe the teacnings of man but believe what the bible says...

hebrews 6: 4-8, hebrews 10:26-31, John 15:6,

One of the prerequisites of salvation is repent of your sins... adam sinned just once and caused all of man kind to be born into sin and also a sacrificial lamb was needed, which was why Jesus died on the cross. We needed a way to restore our relationship to God.

If you still want to hold fast the teachings of man on once saved always saved, read in the first chapter of acts about judas where it says he had obtained part in the ministry and by transgression fell. You cant obtain part in a minisrty without the spirit. Furthermore, the word transgression in acts 1:25 in the greek is parabanio. Literaly it means abandoning a faith, stepping aside, apostasy, or a deviation in direction. The root word means to walk, and in this instance it literaly means to walk away.
    If you walk away you are sending yourself to hell. This is the Word of God, not my opinion.
  10. There is no true Scotsman.
    PeaceLikeaRiver likes this.
  11. Matthew 12:32
    Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.
  12. That Dave is THE "unpardonable sin".

You see, this sin is that of deliberate rejection of Jesus Christ and His salvation. It is the ultimate sin and by its very nature puts man beyond the grasp of salvation.

The reason for this is the Bible fact that is it the Holy Spirit of God who brings the offer of God's salvation to the heart of man. To reject Him is to act "Presumptuously" and thus to BLASPHEME God. Those then who reject the offer of the Holy Spirit are in reality blaspheming the very nature of God Himself and the reality of His grace so that man can be saved.
  13. Ah look at the context of where it is said.

It is after the Pharisees said Jesus' works were of the devil.

They were blaspheming the power of the Holy Spirit by equating it to something evil.

I have seen MANY a Christian minister do this.

They WILL not fair well because of it.
    Major likes this.
  14. Yes....I still hold fast that ONCE saved always saved. The key is of course ONCE.

Matt. 7:22
    "Many will say to me in that day...Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils and in thy name DONE MANY WONDERFUL WORKS"??

Then comes reality.........."And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you, depart from me ye that work iniquity".
  15. Sorry I'm not in the OSAS camp.

Just as a person rescued from a flood of his home comes back to a wrecked house, despairs and commits suicide thinking God must hate him, so too any of us are capable of losing what God gave if we will it to be so.

God loves us. But he can't force us to take salvation or prevent us from giving it up.

Then we do not have freewill and we are not made in his image. And God is evil and wicked and he cannot be that and remain God.
    PeaceLikeaRiver likes this.
  16. Why not pick one, and then we can all discuss it.
  17. How can a person lose something he never earned in the first place?
    Major likes this.
  18. If a Christian loses his salvation can he be born again, again?
  19. Can a true born again Christian who is born of the Spirit and filled with the Spirit speak against the exact same Spirit that is in himself?
    Major likes this.
  20. Is it possible for anyone to teach you something new? May I try with this?

Matthew 7:
    21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
    but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
    22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name,
    cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
    23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’”

The blue is the key ...
    Those doing their works are practicing lawlessness and are rejected, IF they are NOT in line with the blue.
    Don't feel bad because this fact is missed by almost everyone. Seriously.