Discerning spirits

I don't understand why there has been such a strong discord here.

I was born in another country, not here in US, but what I've been reading in the news is happening in reality.

Also, I understand what Spiritofprophecy has been saying but I don't think you guys should gang up on him.

I didn't think we were "ganging up" just sharing why we disagree on certain things. But I suppose it feels that way when someone is alone in their opinion.

I didn't think we were "ganging up" just sharing why we disagree on certain things. But I suppose it feels that way when someone is alone in their opinion.
Then let me encourage SpiritofProphecy by ensuring him he is not alone in his opinion. As a follower of Christ who belongs ONLY to Christ but who fellowships with those who are also in Christ I share in common many of the things he has said even if there are some things I do not agree with. I too do not follow a church but Christ Jesus. My unity is in ONE Father, ONE Son, ONE Holy Spirit and ONE word and those who believe and follow THEM.

To SpiritofProphesy may I say welcome in Christ. It is clear that English is not your first (main) language but you are doing reasonably well and with a little bit of thought and help from the Lord I am managing to understand what you are trying to say. Possibly it is also because we seem to think alike on some issues. Many people understand English better than they can speak it, may I ask if this is the case with you? I ask this because it is just as important that you can understand what WE say as it is for us to understand what you say and I want to know how I should respond to you in a way you also will understand. Sadly English is my ONLY language so your ahead of me there :).

We must always remember that the Multitude John saw in Heaven are from ALL nations, peoples and languages. These things (and many more) must never become a barrier to the unity and oneness of those who are in Christ.

Again welcome in the unity of Christ
Misty

I, too, am on the same bench as SpiritofProphecy and Misty. English isn't my first language but I understand where SpiritofProphecy is coming from based on what he has said here and in another thread.

I don't believe that this is an issue of language, but the perception that he is making an attempt to sound more prophetic in the way that he writes. That really puts a lot of people off. I believe that is what the issue is here.

It is. Not to mentioon this thread has drifted far off track. It was not supposed to be about how truth is revealed nor about the two staves, but about discerning false spirits from God's messengers

It is. Not to mentioon this thread has drifted far off track. It was not supposed to be about how truth is revealed nor about the two staves, but about discerning false spirits from God's messengers

Ginger, you have already posted five criteria in this thread. Aren't these three criteria not important to apply to all "prophets":
“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God;
because many false prophets have gone out into the world.”
1 John 4:1

..........But the answers don't agree with Scriptures........

1. "It was beautiful, so I knew it was from God."

..........We still need to test against the Holy Scriptures.

“If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual,
let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment”
1 Corinthians 14:37

"For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached,
or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received,
or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.
2 Cor 11:4

3. "It quoted Scriptures, so I knew it was from God"

So, how do we test for truth? Once again the answer is in the Holy Scriptures:​

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves.
By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
So by their fruits you will know them.
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, 10 but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'
Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. 11 Depart from me, you evildoers.'
Matthew 7:15-23

My post above is for Ginger ONLY. I don't have a way to PM her so I said it on here.

You don't have to answer it here, Ginger. Just a thought to think about.

Greetings in the name of Jesus: :)

I have to love Christine and post # 76, which gives me the opportunity to explain why all Denominations are really of man, and a form of anti God....God does seek a personal relationship with each man.! Not a religions divided by mans choices, which today, I can find a church to condone and absolve any manner of sin which I like, even unto Homosexual marriage. And the list is long. Religion by mans choice is wrong! Man should not judge God, But submit to God, and learn Gods truth and ways.

Lets Clarify that not believing in Denominations, for some in forum would suggest that the New testament is not Divine, suggesting that Denomination must then be Divine and from God. And all men should go To " Church" of some denomination. Divine institutions of men, gave us the Inquisition..!

This is one of the Polytheistic division between Judaism and Christianity. First...
No one "goes to Church", Church is not a place but Gods people . This use is a redaction on the term Church..Church is not a place..! Church is a term for believers, or the faithful. Changing names or truths is common in denominations, from Catholic, Protestants, to Mormon, or J W's giving Power to buildings... We are having Church and communion with God in this very forum; A non denominational Christian communion, welcoming Catholic, Protestants and all whom love God and his word... Where does Gods true spirit dwell as to mans institutions..Baylor, Notre Dame, or S.M.U. ?

Here is my question..Where do you put your faith?,,In Catholicism, or a Protestant denomination, Mormonism, J W's and or etc ?.. Or do you put your faith in God, which is also the Word. The Word is God. And the word has become flesh in Jesus. If the word says one thing and pastor another, whom do you believe?

God or the Spirit of God cannot be retained in bricks and mortar, or contained by man. The word and God dwells in the hearts of men..There was no established institution denomination which brought down the Romans.. Gods blessings are reserved for the wee, and small and humble of the Church (faithful).

We Christians have done more harm to the faith by our division, then any heathen could ever do..!
I would venture to say more Christians were killed by other professed Christians then non Christians.

I also believe we shall not soon make war any more on Earth; in just a few more years Gods Kingdom will be established.

I do not condemn the faithful who worship God/Jesus in any house of God of some 200-300 different doctrines of Gods One Truth..There is only one Church, One God, One Salvation, and one Truth. Which is written in the word.
Every Christian can look at other denominations and see their errors, yet cannot see our own sins. It's easy to discern another person who errs...Yet no one is without sin, and all fall short of the Glory of God.

Christian division is wrong, "Precept of man", is wrong.. denominations are not of God. Sorry for being so preachy.

I pray my words will not offend, God bless all Christians in forum and all who use it.:)
:D ok, I totally agree with what you say here! I get what you are talking about. Thanks!
What I meant by fellowship was that God wants us to rejoice in harmony with them, to worship Him together - not to follow the church or denomination or "man".

Spiritofprophecy said:
If the word says one thing and pastor another, whom do you believe?
I've had to deal with this before in the church I go to. There was a scandal that went on and it seriously made me question if I should stay or go. It was like the last straw for me and so I left for a few years only to find myself going back, but only because I wanted to "test" the new pastor. Like you say in the end, whom do I believe? I think for the whole church it was like a test of Faith for us all, and in whom.

Spiritofprophecy said:
I also believe we shall not soon make war any more on Earth; in just a few more years Gods Kingdom will be established.
If I may interject here a bit, I don't think you can confidently say that since...
Matthew 24:36 (KJV)
But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Apart from that, thanks for having bundles of patience! I apologize if you felt "ganged upon". I hope you didn't feel like that. Like someone said already, some of us just didn't perceive what you said, is all. Thanks also for not fleeing this thread :)

My post above is for Ginger ONLY. I don't have a way to PM her so I said it on here.

You don't have to answer it here, Ginger. Just a thought to think about.

The OP is about discerning spirits, not prophets. I never said one or the other was or was not important. I merely stated the fact that the thread has drifted off topic.

And I'm not sure why that is an issue since it happens all the time and people take note of it all the time as well?

What is it you are getting at?

SpiritofTruth, While I agree with 99% of what you've said, there are just these couple brief statements that concern me. I reserve judgement on that 1% until I have a chance to discern.
And please don't take my asking personal, it is just my policy to act according to Scriptures and weigh everything.

Are you of the mindset the Lost Tribes must return to Israel before the coming
of Christ?

And

Do you fancy yourself a prophet?

Ginger

I think the test is real and still in force today.

Ask an atheist if he can say those words, "Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior" They either can't or won't. My mother one time said, "I don't see why not. People can lie." But I have never been able to get and atheist or a pagan, for that matter, to say those words - not even when I tell them the Bible says they can't! You would think they would want to prove the Bible wrong and say it for spite! Instead they act offended and refuse to say it, only proving it right in not doing so.

In contrast, saved people seem eager to say those words! When I first read that verse, I said those words right away, outloud, just to be sure I could.

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore, I tell you that nobody speaking by the spirit of God says, "Jesus be accursed." And no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the holy Spirit.

If 1John 4:1-3 is a test for atheist. How about in Christianity is it still applicable?

If 1John 4:1-3 is a test for atheist. How about in Christianity is it still applicable?

I'm not sure what you are asking..... I believe these tests are still valid. I true Christian (as aopposed to someone who claims to be christian, but doesn't believe the basic tennants of Christianity) cannot deny Christ Jesus.

Keep in mind that 1 John is not a mere statement declaring Jesus was a real man who lived in the 1 century, even most atheists acknowledge that fact. But rather "coming in the flesh" is a declaration of his deity! The statement of faith that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, did indeed manifest in human flesh, fully man, fully God.

Or is that not what you are asking? Are you asking if Christianity is still applicable in today's society?

Ginger

Just an observation:

"spirtofprophesy" said........
"Divine institutions of men, gave us the Inquisition..!"

I believe that the Inquisition came from the Catholic church and since Cathasolism IS NOT Biblical Christianity, it does not qualify as a denomination of the true Christian church.

It stands alone as a seperate religion the same as does Mormonism and JW.

The problem is having churches. If it were the Apostles wouldn't have been helping form and encourage them in the 1st century.

The problem is the unsaved to join to change the faith, to lead us into a different gospel.

They aren't content to be separate, not to live and let live as they claim. They do not really want diversity. Instead they want to change us, to force us to conform to their way of thinking. To prevent us from sharing what we know and believe. They are having difficulty silencing us, so they are also working to change us.

I can't count how many times I have said, "Not everyone who claims to be Christian is." But all it takes is a false claim of Christianity and they evel deeds are blamed on all who where that title.

Fred Philips is a small cult, yet, they are on the front page of every newspaper being portrayed as mainstream Christianity.

People need to remember their is only One Christian God. So when someone claims to follow god, we should ask, "Which god?" There are many false spirits posing as god, to deceive.

The problem is not christians or Christian churches, but pseudo-christianity.

Ginger

Greetings in the name of Jesus::)

At the risk of wandering off thread again, and risking to anger the OP poster and Moderators. I shall respond to some points and questions..

I will and do claim to be a Christian; and also claim to have " Gods words written upon my heart". Which these things are written in old style English. So Gods words upon my heart, are in old English, and come out of my mouth in old English (KJV). It is written, " From out of the abundance of ones heart, shall the mouth speak". I apologize if my manner, words and syntax offends anyone.

I will not and cannot make claims about myself; beyond claiming to be a Servant of God, a voice in the wilderness, who is nothing of himself, who claims nothing but being a Christian and messenger, claiming the truth of Gods words. And again I apologize if my syntax and manner does offend.

All of Gods people fall short of the perfection of God, our Lord Jesus;. but all those who claim Jesus or honor Jesus are with us not against us. Only God determines who is a true Christian...

Do not condemn any who claim Jesus;...For by the "measure one judges others, by the same measure will you then be judged by God."..I ask all to Speak unto truth alone, and judge not the salvation or perfection of others, but only judge their fruits, if of Gods Words or not. Even if one denies the divinity of Christ; God judges them, which I can only warn of possible "Loss of Salvation". God alone determines " who is Christian and who is not"...!!! We can only speak to, what is the truth of Gods words.

I pray my words do not offend, God bless all Christians in forum, and all who use it.:)

I will and do claim to be a Christian; and also claim to have " Gods words written upon my heart". Which these things are written in old style English. So Gods words upon my heart, are in old English, and come out of my mouth in old English (KJV).

I will not and cannot make claims about myself; beyond claiming to be a Servant of God, a voice in the wilderness, who is nothing of himself, who claims nothing but being a Christian and messenger, claiming the truth of Gods words.

But you have made a claim.....
........ Only God determines who is a true Christian...

Only God determines who will be saved and who will perish.

The Bible directly tells us that we can judge, but not with human eyes and not in the sense of judging a person's soul/eternal fate.
The Biblke further tells us not to associate with the unbelieving so God must expect us to judge who are Christians from those who are not.

I am going to end our discours here. I apologize if I have upset you at times. Thank you for taking the time to discuss your views with me. :)

I'm not sure what you are asking..... I believe these tests are still valid. I true Christian (as aopposed to someone who claims to be christian, but doesn't believe the basic tennants of Christianity) cannot deny Christ Jesus.

Keep in mind that 1 John is not a mere statement declaring Jesus was a real man who lived in the 1 century, even most atheists acknowledge that fact. But rather "coming in the flesh" is a declaration of his deity! The statement of faith that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, did indeed manifest in human flesh, fully man, fully God.

Or is that not what you are asking? Are you asking if Christianity is still applicable in today's society?

Ginger

What I have noticed in Christianity, in each denomination has different recognition in Jesus Christ. Although every sect is reading 1 book only (holy bible) but they have different understanding in the word.
It is the reason why I've been interested with 1John 4:1-3 as a test. It is a test from God and it is for Christianity, to reveal who passed and who failed.

Back