Did you give up everything completely to have a relationship with Christ?

True. But there are some sins that are harder to give up for me. They are anger and lust. I found that those sins are very weakening.

Remember my brother that the old nature of sin with us until be die. It never goes away but the gift of the Holy Spirit gives us the power to overcome those things which file us.

Reactions: Juk
[...] Another view is that you need to give up everything in order to have a relationship with Christ. [...]

I gave up a lot but not everything: I still watch secular movies, I sometimes drink alcohol and lose my temper like everyone else. That won't bring me closer to God but it's no sin either.

We are all sinners and weak, only Jesus Christ was perfect and God the Father knows it, of course.

Ask for forgiveness everyday, trust in Jesus and obey His Commandments, that's it.

I said I gave up a lot but it's obviously not enough and I should do A LOT MORE, of course.

A Christian's work is never done, may God grant us everyday the energy to serve and praise Him.

="Flavio, post: 397273, member: 14120"]I gave up a lot but not everything: I still watch secular movies, I sometimes drink alcohol and lose my temper like everyone else. That won't bring me closer to God but it's no sin either.

We are all sinners and weak, only Jesus Christ was perfect and God the Father knows it, of course.

Ask for forgiveness everyday, trust in Jesus and obey His Commandments, that's it.
Sounds good.

well..1 corinthians 3:11 Paul writes, when I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought as a child, I understood as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I remember when first starting out as newbie christian this verse was important to me as I knew He wanted me to change...and I could see a lot of the things I thought and were obesessed with were childish. Some things like...collecting and spending all my money on Garfield (who was fat and lazy) comics, other fictional books, pop music, etc. I was a big fan of these things but after following Jesus found these things less interesting, even infantile. I gave them up, and don't go back. God's Word is more important and eternally significant over these passing fads.

Other things like occult books and practises that I was kinda interested in, saw was really foolish and also spiritually dangerous. I didn't need these things after Jesus found me. His way was THE way, I didn't need to go on searching and going down all those (expensive) rabbit trails.

well..1 corinthians 3:11 Paul writes, when I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought as a child, I understood as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I remember when first starting out as newbie christian this verse was important to me as I knew He wanted me to change...and I could see a lot of the things I thought and were obesessed with were childish. Some things like...collecting and spending all my money on Garfield (who was fat and lazy) comics, other fictional books, pop music, etc. I was a big fan of these things but after following Jesus found these things less interesting, even infantile. I gave them up, and don't go back. God's Word is more important and eternally significant over these passing fads.

Other things like occult books and practises that I was kinda interested in, saw was really foolish and also spiritually dangerous. I didn't need these things after Jesus found me. His way was THE way, I didn't need to go on searching and going down all those (expensive) rabbit trails.
True. My desire for things has gone down, and I feel that that is sort of a good thing.

I love how God is so relatable to us. But what do you mean by committing all things to God? I'm sorry. When it comes to things like this, I gotta have specific definitions because it is just so important. This could be the root of my problem.

No worries over the questions little man... you are very important to God and us so don't think that you have upset me.

What i mean is as you have thoughts in your mind about different things that you want to do in life, pray and tell God that you are committing whatever it is to God...meaning that you are asking Him to lead you and guide you, because you only want to do the things that make Him happy, and that He is apart of, and you want to know how He wants you to go about things, and if this is something He is wanting you to do. And then you wait on Him to help you to put things together, or tell you or prompt you, letting you know if no is the answer.

Do you know how to cast your cares onto the Lord? It is kind of the same thing....only in this case it is desiring for God to be apart of everything you do, and as you ask Him to be involved with you in the things you have planned, then you either have His blessing (which will cause your success) and He will tell you how He wants things done, or He will give you a strong impression that it's something He does not want you to do.

Does this help? If not i'll pray about another way to explain it.

[QUOTE/]Cturtle, post: 397372, member: 15700"]No worries over the questions little man... you are very important to God and us so don't think that you have upset me.
an approves u have thoughts in your mind about different things that you want to do in life, pray and tell God that you are committing whatever it is to God...meaning that you are asking Him to lead you and guide you, because you only want to do the things that make Him happy, and that He is apart of, and you want to know how He wants you to go about things, and if this is something He is wanting you to do. And then you wait on Him to help you to put things together, or tell you or prompt you, letting you know if no is the answer.

Do you know how to cast your cares onto the Lord? It is kind of the same thing....only in this case it is desiring for God to be apart of everything you do, and as you ask Him to be involved with you in the things you have planned, then you either have His blessing (which will cause your success) and He will tell you how He wants things done, or He will give you a strong impression that it's something He does not want you to do.

Does this help? If not i'll pray about another way to explain it.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, that was great! My latest interest besides God is working out. I started yesterday. I prayed before I did it, that God would give me success. I think that God approves because I felt no type of inner opposition. I believe that everyone should work out.

[QUOTE/]Cturtle, post: 397372, member: 15700"]No worries over the questions little man... you are very important to God and us so don't think that you have upset me.
an approves u have thoughts in your mind about different things that you want to do in life, pray and tell God that you are committing whatever it is to God...meaning that you are asking Him to lead you and guide you, because you only want to do the things that make Him happy, and that He is apart of, and you want to know how He wants you to go about things, and if this is something He is wanting you to do. And then you wait on Him to help you to put things together, or tell you or prompt you, letting you know if no is the answer.

Does this help? If not i'll pray about another way to explain it.
Thank you, that was great! My latest interest besides God is working out. I started yesterday. I prayed before I did it, that God would give me success. I think that God approves because I felt no type of inner opposition. I believe that everyone should work out.[/QUOTE]

Good way to commit the time to God! You are growing and getting the hang of things! And as you do that with everything.....you will grow even more!

God bless you in all that you do!

Juk,
I don't think you need to give up video games all together, just avoid playing ones which are violent and offensive to God.
There are video games out there that are less violent; sporting games are good and especially when you are looking to get into fitness.
Don't let video games rule your life, it's so easy to slip into that realm.

Thank you, that was great! My latest interest besides God is working out. I started yesterday. I prayed before I did it, that God would give me success. I think that God approves because I felt no type of inner opposition. I believe that everyone should work out.

Good way to commit the time to God! You are growing and getting the hang of things! And as you do that with everything.....you will grow even more!

God bless you in all that you do![/QUOTE]
I guess I need to learn how to pray before I do anything.

@Juk.......you are not alone in that. Many people need to learn and practice praying before they do things. I know i still do.....so you are not alone, and are growing at a good pace!
Blessings little man.

Back