1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Did realy the pope said God is not Divine?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leo_ACH, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Hey guys....I had a conversation at work on this topic with a few friends and was very intresting....

What are you guys make of his comments?

GOD bless!
  2. I thought Pope said God is not a wizard or magician..
  3. Rofl - well he said that too - ''God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life''.
    Major likes this.
  4. Short answer: No. Pope Francis never said God is not divine. The full statement is "God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life."

Nowhere did he say that God is not divine. The key parts were that pointing out that God is not A product of a higher source. Just as many Atheists misinterpret Christian belief in God as being that God inhabits the Universe, the pope was correcting this notion in pointing out that God is not the product -- that all things, including the universe, are products of Him.

Catholic News USA points this out. ---> LINK.
    Vatican News reported the direct translation which was "demigod." ----> LINK.

Anyone who insists that the pope said that God is not divine without doing the research or including the full statement has an agenda.
  5. My agenda is truth.
  6. That's a good agenda. I mean a selfish agenda.
    Silk likes this.
  7. I like Beck's phrase: Truth has no agenda :)
  8. I have to feel sorry for the guy (the Pope that is).
    How would you like to have a public position where everything you say
    is open to constant misinterpretation?
  9. This sounds very much like fathering a teenager :)
    KingJ and LysanderShapiro say Amen and like this.
  10. If I had posted this statement (''God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life''.) as my own on this forum, I would have been lambasted from here to eternity for it. And rightfully so - and I am not the leader of over a billion Catholics. Sometimes, you reach for a word and grab the one that doesn't convey your true intent. I understand that - have had it happen. In that case, I correct myself and say this is what I meant. Trying to justify error has never worked for me. I once worked under a man who mumbled, started mid sentence and dawdled into imcompleteness at the end. Hard to get a quote but his intent towards me was always malign. And he lied. Because he wasn't clear, I never had warning having given him the benefit of the doubt. There are many things I admire about the Catholics - daily mass and communion, prayers for the dead - lighting candles, the reminder of sin and an obligation to repent. I am alarmed by statements/quotes - coming out of your leadership that defy positions Catholics have always held. I believe we are brinking end times and we should be scrutinizing all of our leaders. Terrible times to be mislead.
  11. Hey Glomung (waving). Nice to see you.
  12. "Terrible times to be mislead."

That should be "Terrible times to be misled."

Grammar nazi at work.
  13. Hello Silk. how ya been?
  14. I understand that most people here don't follow the Pope as Catholics do or submit to Catholic doctrine other than a few of us. However, do people here actually believe that the pope doesn't believe that God is the divine, omnipotent Creator, or do they just think his wording was a bit unclear but that he still holds to that position?
  15. I think his wording was unclear and you have taken a few lumps defending him. I could take your words here and turn and twist them if I were so inclined. But I know your intent and recognize you are a true believer of Jesus Christ.
    DavidG, JG27_chili, Leo_ACH and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  16. Hi Guys, sorry that I made the comment and had to be off for the weekend....but here I am to give my take....

I took the time to read all the comments since I made the comment and I had a lot of fun....even when I was acused of misleding people and taken things out of context....

I would like to answer everyones comments, but it will be very difficult due to my lack of time....

“God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life”

So, here is my concern....

There was a lot of back in forth with the word BEING.....so..to start!

1- I tought Jesus become a HUMAN BEING in order to save the world...its clear through out the Bible....is it? I guess He is also Divine!

So, is Jesus a Divine being!???????

My faithfull brother @Major probaly would clarify that with scriputures if you like!

2- God is not a magician? Off course not.....He does not play tricks at anyone to misled people...He is Truth all the time! More over He can and is whatever He want to be! If He wants to create the world in 6 days would He not be able to!? Becouse in doing so, science would disagree...them we compare God to a Magician?......

3- I even have a tird point, little hard ...but the pope MAY be saying the God is only the Creator of life and not everything that existed! Like using the famous PRIMORDIAL SOUP! Read the last part again....Nothing estrange....He may be interpreting Genesis as some do...

And last....I did not condemnded the Pope I just said I was "CONCERN".

I tought Johann Tetzel had came back to life when I started reading the responses...

I have to confess the I almost felt I had to nail the 95 teses again...lol

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the Popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen. ”

"Thank you Jesus, for the reformation day, other wise, the chance that I would have to discuss with my brothers and sisters in Christ these simple matters and your Unfaling word on this thing called Internet would not be possible"

The addtion is mine! God bless EVERYONE!
  17. #17 aha, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    and plain reason?

I thought scripture alone is enough for teaching....

AND plain reason?

we need to examine the word "AND" then ? : )
    Major likes this.
  18. God became a Human Being for the sins of the world -- in the flesh, He came to the world as Jesus. But Jesus' divinity wasn't a product of God -- it was God Himself -- God made flesh. And because Jesus is God, Jesus is not a divine being but THE Divine God in form of the Son.

See the difference?
    JG27_chili likes this.
  19. Thanks for the link, it erased my doubt that am beginning to think that the "absurd" Darwinian evolution is slowly creeping in Catholic education…

"A 2006 article in the Vatican's main newspaper also distanced the Catholic Church from the idea of "intelligent design," which it said should not be taught in schools as science. The Catholic News Service, which summarizes the article here, explains what distinguishes the Vatican's thinking from more secular understandings of evolution."

The article, published in the Jan. 17 edition of L'Osservatore Romano, was written by Fiorenzo Facchini, a professor of evolutionary biology at the University of Bologna in Italy. The article noted that the debate over intelligent design -- the idea that certain features of life and the universe are best explained by an intelligent designer rather than adaptive evolution -- has spread from the United States to Europe.

The problem with intelligent design is that it turns to a "superior cause" -- understood though not necessarily named as God -- to explain supposed shortcomings of evolutionary science. But that's not how science should work, the article said.

"If the model proposed by Darwin is held to be inadequate, one should look for another model. But it is not correct methodology to stray from the field of science pretending to do science," it said.

The article said a Pennsylvania judge had acted properly when he ruled in December that intelligent design could not be taught as science in schools. "Intelligent design does not belong to science and there is no justification for the pretext that it be taught as a scientific theory alongside the Darwinian explanation," it said.

From the church's point of view, Catholic teaching says God created all things from nothing, but doesn't say how, the article said. That leaves open the possibilities of evolutionary mechanisms like random mutation and natural selection.

"God's project of creation can be carried out through secondary causes in the natural course of events, without having to think of miraculous interventions that point in this or that direction," it said.

What the church does insist upon is that the emergence of the human supposes a willful act of God, and that man cannot be seen as only the product of evolutionary processes, it said. The spiritual element of man is not something that could have developed from natural selection but required an "ontological leap," it said.
  20. Now I like that!