Did Jesus descend into Hell?

Did Jesus descend into Hell?

Scripture shows he did but, when is not clear. I came across this very interesting study while researching for the answer. I'm not a theologian so i can't very well say if what is said in this study is completely accurate but it does seem to answer a few question...for me, anyway. However, the part you'll come to if you study this material which says Jesus didn't preach to spirits in prison is touchy because I have about 7 translations of the bible and all of them seem to be clear Jesus went and preached to spirits in prison rather than to people before they died and went to "prison".

It is presented in a way that can support the idea, though.

Also, the part about, "but we can come to Him, receive Him", I don't believe or condone. Every part of our salvation is the work of God, even our faith. He calls us, we don't call him. He calls us through his word. That makes us alive in Christ. If after a person has been made alive in Christ; is a believer and has faith, they want to believe they come to him, that is possible. But they have no part or credit or glory in helping God make them alive.

After all, it says "we are *dead* in our sins and transgressions". The next time you come across a dead animal...in the road or wherever...expect it to make a move to you and then you'll help it be alive. Of course, if it makes a move toward you, it wasn't ever dead, was it? Nevertheless....

Have a gander:

EDIT -
Also importantly, please note that "catholic" refers to "universal" rather than Roman. The Catholic church we know of is commonly known as what the Pope is overseeing. However, the Pope oversees the Roman church, not the universal..or catholic...church. Catholic means universal Christian church. The Roman church is known as what we are used to, the Catholic church. When the creed, sited in this study, speaks of the catholic church, it is not speaking of the Roman...or Pope ruled...church, it is speaking of the universal Christian church which is made up of many denominations but is the invisible church of our savior. And the church of our Lord and savior is holy, he made it holy by his sacrifice. All who belong to the holy Christian (universal, catholic) church are holy. If Christ, who's righteousness we wear, is holy, we, his church, are holy.

http://www.ldolphin.org/descend.html

He decended into hell after he died .....3 days of witnessing to those who has not the chance to accept him and then he rose the third day.

"but we can come to Him, receive Him", I don't believe or condone

I have been through this discussion many time before...so here yet again is my understanding. I believe that we have freewill to come to Jesus. Yes! God can anoint you and you can be called to do a work in christ, but we do have the right to reject that...hence freewill

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me

It is up to us to open the door and invite Jesus in. If we didnt not have freewill what would be the point in Jesus comming to die??

Revelation 22:17
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

He calls us, we don't call him. He calls us through his word. That makes us alive in Christ. If after a person has been made alive in Christ; is a believer and has faith, they want to believe they come to him, that is possible. But they have no part or credit or glory in helping God make them alive.

I tottally agree he does call us but we have to answer the call, it is up to use to accpt christ or to reject him...but once we make up our mind and accept him then he does all the work as far as giving us the gift.

As far as these non Roman cathloic churched fo they stil have the same teaching of the Roman catholics minus the Pope?? Like praying to statues and those extra books in the bible..

As far as these non Roman cathloic churched fo they stil have the same teaching of the Roman catholics minus the Pope?? Like praying to statues and those extra books in the bible..

I don't understand what you said.

Also, this is God's holy word:

John 6:44-59 NIV
"Stop grumbling among yourselves," Jesus answered. "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."
Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever.

In reference to John 44-59, I'd always assumed the "bread" to be His Word, but... What's the blood supposed to be? What is a Christian supposed to do with these verses? How do I eat and drink like Jesus intends?

That's his business, how we eat his flesh and drink his blood. The only thing he tells us is believe, and his flesh and blood is real food and to eat it and drink it. He gives us ministers and teachers to help us. Every church, teaching the correct salvation in Christ, offers communion. Some churches offer what they think is communion but isn't. If a church offers communion but doesn't believe it to be Jesus' actual body and blood, that can't stop you, me or anyone from knowing it is and eating and drinking of our Lord's body and blood.

If what that church offers, they don't correctly believe in, how can their disbelief stop us from partaking of the real food? If we know the bread and wine being handed out is Jesus actual body and blood, how can their disbelief keep us from eating of it? But, scripture teaches us to know with certainty that what we are eating is Jesus' actual flesh and blood. If a person is uncertain or doesn't believe it to be the actual flesh and blood of Jesus, that person is advised not to eat and drink of it. Nevertheless, if we believe correctly and the church doesn't, we should make every effort to let the council of that church know the truth. But do not let their disbelief affect your correct belief about the real food of Jesus body.

The things of God are God's. We can't understand how God does this but we can have faith and believe he did it, and does it, because his word says so.

yep jesus went to hell saved many who had no hope,and grasped the keys of hell and death.came back to life with great authority,showed the world the way to life.then went and sat next to God .job done problem solved.

Transubstantiation is a pagan doctrine; it has no place in Christianity.

On topic- Jesus descended into sheol (Hell), which consisted of two compartments: one for the wicked, and the other for the righteous. The latter is known as paradise, or Abraham's Bosom. In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus we find that the abode of the dead is divided into two parts.

Jesus said He would spend three days and nights in the heart of the earth (Matthew 12:40). He also said to the thief on the Cross, that they would be in paradise that same day (Luke 23:43).

Paradise of course is no longer necessary; believers go straight to Heaven when we die. :)

Show from scripture the proof of these "compartments".

And, where did you come up with Transubstantiation? The changing of the bread and wine was never indicated. Human reason will get a person lost. Trying to make sense of something of God by coming up with our own determination is deadly.

The bread and wine is never changed, it is already Jesus body and blood. Scripture is perfectly clear about that. No minister...or priest, for that matter...can wave their arms over the bread and wine and make it be our Lord's flesh and blood. They might lead people to believe they are doing this miraculous event but they aren't.

Hell is not paradise. Hell is also not the grave but a place of torment.

Jesus' body was in the grave 3 days. His spirit was elsewhere. It is unclear when he descended into Hell for the purposes of saying: "I told ya so" (Preaching).

It could be Jesus was speaking to the thief as God. God is in Heaven. By telling the theif he would be with Jesus in paradise that same day would be clear if Jesus were speaking in the Godhead. However, us temporal beings don't understand eternity. God understands it, that's all that matters.

Here's the important part:

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved." This is what we need to know. What hasn't been revealed is not necessary for salvation.

Let me guess...Missouri Synod?

Show from scripture the proof of these "compartments".

Luke 16:22-26 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Clearly showing that paradise and the abode of the unrighteous dead are located alongside one another, yet separated by a chasm.

Hell is not paradise.

By modern definition, you are correct. But hundreds of years ago (i.e. when the Apostles Creed was written) Hell was descriptive of the grave, collectively, whether it be a place of torment, or of peace. Sheol (from which Hell is translated in the Old Testament) is defined as "underworld, grave, hell, pit" by Strong's dictionary. This is consistent with the words of Christ.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 23:42-43 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Hell is also not the grave

I have proven otherwise. If you are not yet convinced, turn to Genesis 44:29 for example. The word 'grave' is translated from Sheol. Sheol is also translated as 'Hell' in other verses.

The bread and wine is never changed, it is already Jesus body and blood. Scripture is perfectly clear about that. No minister...or priest, for that matter...can wave their arms over the bread and wine and make it be our Lord's flesh and blood. They might lead people to believe they are doing this miraculous event but they aren't.

The bread and wine are exactly that: bread and wine. We eat "in remembrance of [Christ] ..." (Luke 22:19) He says, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." (John 6:35) The bread of life is Christ, but Christ is not a piece of bread. Those who COME to Him shall never hunger. Thus, to eat is to come to Him, and receive eternal life.

In John 6:63 He says, "the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." (John 6:63)

It is unclear when he descended into Hell for the purposes of saying: "I told ya so" (Preaching).

1 Peter 4:6 "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." At what other time would the Gospel have been preached to them?

It could be Jesus was speaking to the thief as God. God is in Heaven. By telling the theif he would be with Jesus in paradise that same day would be clear if Jesus were speaking in the Godhead. However, us temporal beings don't understand eternity. God understands it, that's all that matters.

Mental gymnastics are wholly unnecessary. Just accept what the Bible says. :)

dont forget the bread of life was not an option to the blind.i see it as jesus went and saved people from hell.he went there to free the good,but unwise.

Just accept what the Bible says. :)

I do and you should too. Jesus said "This *is* my body, this *is* my blood". See my quote of scripture in a previous post in this thread.

Also, I'll leave you to God's word. If you choose to twist it in your mind, that's your problem, I'll not speak anymore on the matter. If people won't listen to the Holy Spirit, they certainly won't listen to me.

I do and you should too. Jesus said "This *is* my body, this *is* my blood".
And I have already proven with scripture that He was speaking in spiritual terms. Jesus is the bread of life; but a piece of bread is not Jesus! Whosoever comes to Him shall not hunger. But consume a Eucharist wafer, and you shall hunger again. Duh!

So what type of bread is automatically Jesus? Is there a certain baking technique required to ensure Divine presence in the bread? Is Jesus present in Wonder Bread? I've always enjoyed Wonder Bread. I don't much care for rye bread, however - is Jesus present in rye bread? I hope it's not blasphemy to reject rye.

Also, I'll leave you to God's word. If you choose to twist it in your mind, that's your problem, I'll not speak anymore on the matter. If people won't listen to the Holy Spirit, they certainly won't listen to me.
I defeated you with the Word of God. This is why you neglected to respond to the verses I posted. But, pride being the most stubborn sin of all, you refuse to acknowledge your error. Furthermore, as a final testament of your arrogance, you imply that anyone who thinks differently than you isn't listening to the Holy Spirit. Bold claim, if you ask me.

- PreachingTruth

1 Peter 3:18-20 (NIV)

18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom[a] also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water...

--------------------------------

These verses simply say that the spirit who rescurrected Jesus and whom raised Him is the same spirit that God preached to the people before the flood in the days of Noah as you can find in Genesis 6:3: Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

It is saying that the same spirit that preached to the people for 120 years in the days of Noah is the same spirit that raised up Jesus. It is not saying that Jesus went back to give those people a second chance.

(Resource: BibleAnswersLive)
http://www.amazingfacts.org/media/radio/program_archive.asp

Abrahams bossom was indeed the holding place for many who waited on the redeeming power of the cross.

1 Peter 3:18-20 (NIV)

18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom[a] also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water...

--------------------------------

These verses simply say that the spirit who rescurrected Jesus and whom raised Him is the same spirit that God preached to the people before the flood in the days of Noah as you can find in Genesis 6:3: Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

It is saying that the same spirit that preached to the people for 120 years in the days of Noah is the same spirit that raised up Jesus. It is not saying that Jesus went back to give those people a second chance.

Amen!

1. two things first let us love oneanother even when we don't agree about everything
2.Sorry for the cut and paste but it's getting late- we had this very discussion here once before @http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?t=2801&highlight=Jesus+hell
here is some research I posted:
Ok there are three Greek words in the New Testament for hell:
G86
ᾅδης
hadēs
hah'-dace
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is, “Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.

G1067
γέεννα
geenna
gheh'-en-nah
Of Hebrew origin ([H1516] and [H2011]); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: - hell.

3.G5020
ταρταρόω
tartaroō
tar-tar-o'-o
From Τάρταρος Tartaros̄ (the deepest abyss of Hades); to incarcerate in eternal torment: - cast down to hell.

As you can see by the following scriptures it was prophesied that God would not leave Jesus's soul in hell using the first definition which never mentions eternal torture but instead was used to refer to the grave

Act 2:22 Ye men435 of Israel,2475 hear191 these5128 words;3056 Jesus2424 of Nazareth,3480 a man435 approved584 of575 God2316 among1519 you5209 by miracles1411 and2532 wonders5059 and2532 signs,4592 which3739 God2316 did4160 by1223 him846 in1722 the midst3319 of you,5216 as2531 ye846 yourselves also2532 know:1492
Act 2:23 Him,5126 being delivered1560 by the3588 determinate3724 counsel1012 and2532 foreknowledge4268 of God,2316 ye have taken,2983 and by1223 wicked459 hands5495 have crucified4362 and slain:337
Act 2:24 Whom3739 God2316 hath raised up,450 having loosed3089 the3588 pains5604 of death:2288 because2530 it was2258 not3756 possible1415 that he846 should be holden2902 of5259 it.846
Act 2:25 For1063 David1138 speaketh3004 concerning1519 him,846 I foresaw4308 the3588 Lord2962 always1223, 3956 before1799 my face,3450 for3754 he is2076 on1537 my3450 right hand,1188 that2443 I should not3361 be moved:4531
Act 2:26 Therefore1223, 5124 did my3450 heart2588 rejoice,2165 and2532 my3450 tongue1100 was glad;21 moreover1161, 2089 also2532 my3450 flesh4561 shall rest2681 in1909 hope:1680
Act 2:27 Because3754 thou wilt not3756 leave1459 my3450 soul5590 in1519 hell,86 neither3761 wilt thou suffer1325 thine4675 Holy One3741 to see1492 corruption.1312

As you can see by the next scripture that Jesus claimed He would be in paradise
Luk 23:43 And2532 Jesus2424 said2036 unto him,846 Verily281 I say3004 unto thee,4671 Today4594 shalt thou be2071 with3326 me1700 in1722 paradise.3857

G3857
παράδεισος
paradeisos
par-ad'-i-sos
Of Oriental origin (compare [H6508]); a park, that is, (specifically) an Eden (place of future happiness, “paradise”): - paradise.

This seems to imply that Jesus indeed went to Abraham's bosom

Luk 16:22 And1161 it came to pass,1096 that the3588 beggar4434 died,599 and2532 was(846) carried667 by5259 the3588 angels32 into1519 Abraham's11 bosom:2859 (1161) the3588 rich man4145 also2532 died,599 and2532 was buried;2290
Luk 16:23 And2532 in1722 hell86 he lifted up1869 his848 eyes,3788 being5225 in1722 torments,931 and seeth3708 Abraham11 afar off,575, 3113 and2532 Lazarus2976 in1722 his846 bosom.2859

G11
Ἀβραάμ
Abraam
ab-rah-am'
Of Hebrew origin [H85]; Abraham, the Hebrew patriarch. In Act_7:16 the text should probably read Jacob: - Abraham.
G2859
κόλπος
kolpos
kol'-pos
Apparently a primary word; the bosom; by analogy a bay: - bosom, creek.

This was apparently the holding place of God's righteous people waiting for the resurection of Christ to open the gates of heaven to them-

My opinion of this (and only my opinion) is that Jesus did not go to hell in the literal sense but instead went to a place of rest having already done His work which was evident when He said "it is finished"

Back