Diagnosed With Depression The Other Day.

I have been diagnosed with depression and while I hid it from myself and others my wife knew it long before I did however, I can honestly say that I'm not surprised with that diagnosis with all that has happened in my life. Add onto to that the fact that I am my wife's caregiver, and caregivers are at a much higher risk of developing depression.

I go to see a prescriber at the end of August to see about getting me on medication to help with the symptoms.

My wife also has depression secondary to her multiple sclerosis. So I do have her that understand what it is that I am going through and not a spouse who just would not understand because they have never gone through it or are going through it.

I have been clinically depressed since 1994 or maybe earlier bu that is when I was diagnosed. It is VERY important that you talk with your Dr and ensure you tell him everything you're feeling as he tries to get you stabilized. It can take a good 3 to six months. Also DON'T stop taking your meds one you feel better. This is NOT something that goes away. God can heal you but it's like diabetes, which I also happen to have. You have to take your meds regularly to STAY in relative good health.
God Bless you. I will pray for you.
Stan

I am not a fan of medicated help. I agree that in some cases it is necessary. But the trend I see -especially in the USA- is that 'Big Pharma' buys / pays doctors to prescribe meds for everything.

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying don't get meds or take them- just make sure all your alternative routes are closed before you do. If you are not a member of a Bible believing Church attending and serving regularly-you are missing out on the most intimate parts of following God. This can make an enormous difference in your daily 'mood' if you will.

May the Lord give you strength, wisdom and knowledge in this Brother.

I am not a fan of medicated help. I agree that in some cases it is necessary. But the trend I see -especially in the USA- is that 'Big Pharma' buys / pays doctors to prescribe meds for everything.

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying don't get meds or take them- just make sure all your alternative routes are closed before you do. If you are not a member of a Bible believing Church attending and serving regularly-you are missing out on the most intimate parts of following God. This can make an enormous difference in your daily 'mood' if you will.

May the Lord give you strength, wisdom and knowledge in this Brother.

No offense Mike but this is the type of uniformed comment that many Christians make about mental health issues. Clinical depression is NOT a mood. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain. A "Bible Believing" church has no more corner on healing than any church does. God is the healer and His reasons for doing so have NOTHING to do with how much any given congregation believes in the Bible. BTW, attending a BIBLE believing church never helped me with my depression. It wasn't until I was diagnosed that I GOT the help I needed, viz-a-viz proper medication. Of course there will always be people that will NOT take an aspirin for a headache. They would rather piously suffer than get rid of the headache. Somehow people equate suffering with piety? Kathryn Kuhlman said she never understood WHY God healed, just that when He told her He would, He DID. When she prayed without His direction, it was hit and miss.

I feel for you because I've gone through that and wouldn't wish it on anybody, the doc said the depression was a result of paranoid schizophrenia caused from my hippie days of smoking grass and dropping LSD, I relate that because the "meds" he prescribed for me caused me to "come on" just like the grass or LCD did, so I would be real careful about taking any "meds" that would cause that, the Scriptural reason I say that is I have learned the word for witchcraft in the New Testament is pharmakeia from which we have our English word pharmacy, ...personally for me and my family we don't use and medicines which come from the base of cocaine, opium, heroin or morphine or mixtures there of, so I humbly suggest you ask your pharmacist what the meds are made from.

So, what did I do to be healed, a friend gave me a red letter edition of the Bible with the words of Jesus in red which I read faithfully because I found in reading them (even though I didn't understand what I was reading) it would slow down my racing mind and I could sleep for 10-15 minutes, it was 18 months later I was declared "healed" by the psychiatric community and I never told them I had trashed all of the prescriptions they had written for me.

May I add, without negating you problem, the Christian faith is a walk of faith, "the just live by faith," so there are many promises in the Word we can appropriate, several that come to mind are;

For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit life and peace. Rom 8:6

For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7

I give these to you because after I was born again numerous times the enemy tried to afflict me with paranoia, at first I thought it was true and questioned my salvation, but because of my spiritual immaturity Father intervened, but each time He was teaching me another lesson, until I learned to put on the whole armor and stand against the enemy, I used these two verses against the enemie's lie and like Peter said, ...resit the devil and he will flee, ...I have learned he is a toothless lion.

I concur with Brother Mike in you need to be plugged into a Word teaching church where the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in correct operation in guiding the church, I found the second best thing to help in my healing process was helping others, ...what better place than among other brothers and sisters?

Blessings,

gene

I have been diagnosed with depression and while I hid it from myself and others my wife knew it long before I did however, I can honestly say that I'm not surprised with that diagnosis with all that has happened in my life. Add onto to that the fact that I am my wife's caregiver, and caregivers are at a much higher risk of developing depression. I go to see a prescriber at the end of August to see about getting me on medication to help with the symptoms. My wife also has depression secondary to her multiple sclerosis. So I do have her that understand what it is that I am going through and not a spouse who just would not understand because they have never gone through it or are going through it.

My husband was helping a friend out with this and his WIFE has it and we found out that taking VITAMIN E helped her out so check with the DOCTOR before giving it to her !! But, I will be praying for her and for you as you take care of her !!!

I agree Brother Mike. Doctors and patients are way too quick to get on medication for their mental problems. It is all about the money.

It is a sad truth that our medical system in the USA has become yet another 'business': rather than actually caring for people, it is about how much money can they suck out of the patient. Not only that, they pass the patient around so they can all get a piece of the pie.

Now since I have already been called 'ignorant' on this thread; let me re-specifiy my position. I DO believe there are cases that people legitimately need medication. However, 'Big Pharma' is responsible for an estimated 100K + deaths annually in the USA.

Don't believe me: http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/justice/hs.xsl/8677.htm

We have become entirely too dependent on the 'system': basically we have become slaves and don't even know it. Anyway, before I inadvertently 'hijack' this thread. Let me reiterate what I said above:

Proceed with extreme caution when mingling medications, get at least 2 opinions for your own personal safety (from different medical groups). As much as I don't like showering doctors with money, better to be safe than dead. And again, I WAS NOT telling the poster to ONLY rely on the Church-but the Church can be a good moral support in times like this; thus enhancing moral support and hence 'mood' without the drugs.

If people don't see their Church as a place of friends and healing-then what is the point of all our babble? Go for the magic pill.

Hospitals have mission statement posted on their bulletin boards: they want to help people.
But: they need to be profitable to continue their business.

Same with Pharma.
Their mission statements (just check their websites) is to help people.
Pharmaceutical medicines helps people, but they need to be profitable to continue their busines

Same with education/colleges..., with it's exorbitant tuition fees!
The trouble is: Pharma, Hospitals, Education/colleges, like any other institutions are made up of people
The same with a Christian church: it is made up people.

It is no secret that there are Christian churches has its own trouble of leaders not being Christian-like and following the ways of the world.
What more with secular institutions to lose their way with their own mission statement?

Related to the OP, suggest to skip reading Ecclesiastes…. just kidding : )

am on the opinion that many people have it, they just have no idea they have it : )

i may also have it, but...... all is vanity and grasping for the wind : )

It is a sad truth that our medical system in the USA has become yet another 'business': rather than actually caring for people, it is about how much money can they suck out of the patient. Not only that, they pass the patient around so they can all get a piece of the pie.

Now since I have already been called 'ignorant' on this thread; let me re-specifiy my position. I DO believe there are cases that people legitimately need medication. However, 'Big Pharma' is responsible for an estimated 100K + deaths annually in the USA.

Don't believe me: http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/justice/hs.xsl/8677.htm

We have become entirely too dependent on the 'system': basically we have become slaves and don't even know it. Anyway, before I inadvertently 'hijack' this thread. Let me reiterate what I said above:

Proceed with extreme caution when mingling medications, get at least 2 opinions for your own personal safety (from different medical groups). As much as I don't like showering doctors with money, better to be safe than dead. And again, I WAS NOT telling the poster to ONLY rely on the Church-but the Church can be a good moral support in times like this; thus enhancing moral support and hence 'mood' without the drugs.

If people don't see their Church as a place of friends and healing-then what is the point of all our babble? Go for the magic pill.

I cannot get a second opinion as the place that I go to is the local behavioral health place and it is what I can afford since they only charge $3.00 a visit and likely the medication itself will be cheap as well. I have share-of-cost medicaid as my insurance and in order to have things paid for I have to cross the monthly barrier of $768 in health costs before medicaid will kick in.

So that is why I stick to the local behavioral health place and cannot get a second opinion since I am unable to afford anything else.

I just want to get to a point where I care again, where I can begin to function.

I know that this is hurting my marriage because I am the one that is supposed to be there for my wife, especially as her caregiver. This is hurting my wife, but I just don't have the will to do anything about it.

I pray that you do. I said my part and it is too bad that some do not like it so i will stop arguing about this subject. I do hope that you get over your sadness.

Thank you for prayers.

I wish it was easy as just praying it all away, and sometimes it is, but many times it isn't and that's where medications come in.

I am not one to just take a medication because my head hurts. I generally suffer through it because I hate taken pills. The one medication that I do use when needed is my rescue inhaler for asthma and since my asthma has been getting worse, my preventative inhaler.

So for me to say that i am going to take a pill in order to help myself, that's a big deal for me.

Can you both please stop arguing?
It is not helping me in the least. I will be using a depression medication when the time comes. As I said in my latest post, I just want to get to a point where I care again and I am no longer hurting my marriage.

Sorry Naomanos...I've put him on ignore so I don't have to deal with his unsympathetic and derisive attitude.
I continue to pray for you.

naomanos,

Here are a couple of things for you to consider, medication for the body and it's physical ailments CAN be helped by drugs, but we born again believers are called to be obedient to God's Word and are NOT to use any type of narcotic drug that would put us in an altered state of consciousness, ...that's sorcery in the Bible. The healing of the mind isn't possible by any drug that is man made, that kind if sickness can ONLY be healed by Jesus, ...now, look for yourself, we have a poster that claims to be using drugs to help with their depression, have these drugs been affective, is this person in an altered state of consciousness, ...just look at the behavior displayed here and compare them with the Fruit of the Spirit and you decide if that's the risk you want to take and/or what you want to become like, ...so now you have testimony from both sides of the matter, one who is still in depression and one who isn't.

Also, this isn't a matter of prayer, but rather a decision to walk by faith, Father is using this to cause your faith to grow, remember the man with the withered arm, Jesus said to him to stretch out his arm, he could of argued with Jesus and remained crippled, but we read in faith he stretched out his arm and was healed, it's the same thing for you, I've given you two Scriptures that I have used in faith to be healed.

For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit life and peace. Rom 8:6

For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7

Now it's your decision to argue with the Word or to, in faith, appropriate them into your life, they are promises from God to His children to help them in time of need and since they are from God they WILL work.

Also, when I felt discouraged, apathetic, lifeless I went into a pity party, poor me, poor me, ...the flesh loves that, but we are to crucify the flesh and walk in the Spirit, what I did was to make obligations and vow to keep them, I guarantee if you do that you will find yourself thinking about and concentrating on serving others and you'll find yourself freed from this test.

Blessings,

Gene

naomanos,

Here are a couple of things for you to consider, medication for the body and it's physical ailments CAN be helped by drugs, but we born again believers are called to be obedient to God's Word and are NOT to use any type of narcotic drug that would put us in an altered state of consciousness, ...that's sorcery in the Bible. The healing of the mind isn't possible by any drug that is man made, that kind if sickness can ONLY be healed by Jesus, ...now, look for yourself, we have a poster that claims to be using drugs to help with their depression, have these drugs been affective, is this person in an altered state of consciousness, ...just look at the behavior displayed here and compare them with the Fruit of the Spirit and you decide if that's the risk you want to take and/or what you want to become like, ...so now you have testimony from both sides of the matter, one who is still in depression and one who isn't.

Also, this isn't a matter of prayer, but rather a decision to walk by faith, Father is using this to cause your faith to grow, remember the man with the withered arm, Jesus said to him to stretch out his arm, he could of argued with Jesus and remained crippled, but we read in faith he stretched out his arm and was healed, it's the same thing for you, I've given you two Scriptures that I have used in faith to be healed.

Now it's your decision to argue with the Word or to, in faith, appropriate them into your life, they are promises from God to His children to help them in time of need and since they are from God they WILL work.

Also, when I felt discouraged, apathetic, lifeless I went into a pity party, poor me, poor me, ...the flesh loves that, but we are to crucify the flesh and walk in the Spirit, what I did was to make obligations and vow to keep them, I guarantee if you do that you will find yourself thinking about and concentrating on serving others and you'll find yourself freed from this test.

Blessings,

Gene

So in other words, have more faith. Don't people see how much that doesn't help people and actually places blame squarely on the person who never wanted an illness to begin with?

I will be taking the medication as I described. To get me back to a place where I care about things once more.

If all you're going to do is to tell me that I have to have more faith, just serve others, please do not reply to my thread.

Biochemical imbalance is not "sadness", a major mistake in thinking. That's like thinking those with severe scoliosis (hunchbacks) are demon possessed or cursed by God.

Naomanos: On a personal note: My wife is a fine Christian, and slowly became blind over 30 years. Lot's of prayers were said for her, but God allowed it to happen. What is wonderful is that she is able to do most of the things she did before (simple sewing, dish-washing, piano playing [on her 5 Chopin piece at the moment] and reading by hearing everyday) and her attitude is "God has a good reason!"...and we found He does. Here where I live in our missionfield, Asians see any disability as a curse from God, and most deaf and blind folks never marry and live secluded and warped lives. But my wife is re-educating everybody she meets, as she is always upbeat and laughing, and now the stigma of perhaps thousands of years ("the blind are helpless") is ebbing away!! It's a powerful witness for the character of God, in our eyes.

But my point is, the first 2 years she became totally blind, I was totally bummed out: 1st because the cause of her blindness was misdiagnosed in the West and 2nd Because we had no clue how to deal with a new life style....But most of all because our prayers were not answer the way we expected and we had to resort to medication....She has a brain tumour which messes up all her hormones, so we have to supplement what God once supplied by her glands.

Messed up thyroid, pituitary and immune systems can put major depression on a person.

What I'm saying is: YOU should get checked for "disappointment syndrome" (my term) through a good Christian counselor.
Do you have Skype? Some work through it, and are free or next to it.

Thank you for your reply and I will take your advice into consideration.

Bro,

I've been where you're at, beloved, I'm trying to show you how to be healed, I didn't say to have faith (in faith) like so many others are doing today, I said to have faith in "the Word" and gave you verses that have to be appropriated into your walk with the Lord, just like you appropriated "Jesus died for your sin" into your walk, faith has to tested or otherwise it isn't real faith, Peter said I want to walk on water so Jesus said come, Peter would never have know he could of walked on the water if he had never stepped out of the boat, just like we will never know if God's promises are true unless we put them to the test, ...and helping/serving other gets our minds off of ourselves and that in itself is peace isn't it?

Of course you didn't want this illness, that's why I said it's a test, Father is allowing this into your life to cause you to grow because He knows that in the future you will need the lesson you have learned from this test for something else that will come into your life.

Also, if you don't want me to respond any more after this I'll respect your request.

Blessings,

Gene

The old "blab it and grab it" theology.

Maybe you should explain to Paul why he was never healed JPT?

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

Back