1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Devotional - A Call For Peace This Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Thoughts for Today' started by anthony wade, May 25, 2013.

1. In 2011, I wrote a devotional under this title for Memorial Day. This year, the words are still applicable and I pray we stop long enough to consider peace, which is God's desired way. Be safe and the devotional can be found here:

click here
  2. Amen....
  3. No problem accessing it right? I just didn't want to dig through my word files. Thanks.
  4. None at all...Folks need to know it's 3 pages, however, and well said....Anybody with a heap of rope following behind you today has nothing to do with me.
  5. Just thought I would add the photo to add to your idea.
  6. From John Gills Exposition of the Bible:

Hebrews 12:14
    Follow peace with all men
    That are in a natural and domestic relation to one another, being of the same family; and that are in a civil and political one, being of the same nation, city, or society; and that are in a spiritual one, being members of the same church; or, if not, yet being saints, and though in some things different in judgment; yea, even peace is to be followed with enemies, as much as in us lies: and perhaps by "all men", the Gentiles may be more especially designed, whose peace the Hebrews thought they were not to seek, ( Deuteronomy 23:6 ) mistaking the sense of the text, by applying it to the Gentiles in general: to "follow peace", signifies an eager pursuit after it, in the use of proper means; exerting the utmost of a man's power to attain it, in all things possible: many things serve to enforce this upon the saints; this is most agreeable to all the three divine Persons; to God, who is the God of peace; to Christ, the Prince of peace; and to the Spirit, one of whose fruits is peace; and to the characters of the saints, who are sons of peace, and who are called to peace, and who make a profession of the Gospel of peace; and to the privileges they enjoy, being interested in the covenant of peace, partaking of spiritual peace now, and being entitled to eternal peace hereafter: and this agrees with the sayings and counsels of the ancient Jews. It was a saying of Hillell F18, who lived about the times of Christ;
  7. From Barnes Notes on the Bible on Hebrews 12: 14:

Follow peace with all men - Do not give indulgence to those passions which lead to litigations, strifes, wars; see the notes on Romans 14:19. The connection here requires us to understand this mainly of persecutors. The apostle is referring to the trials which those whom he addressed were experiencing. Those trials seem to have arisen mainly from persecution, and he exhorts them to manifest a spirit of kindness toward all - even though they were engaged in persecuting them. This is the temper of the gospel. We are to make war with sin, but not with people; with bad passions and corrupt desires, but not with our fellow-worms.
    Rusty likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

Luke 2. 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men of good-will.

John 14.27. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.

Matt. 5.9. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.

Jas. 3.18. The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace.

Rom. 10.15. How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace.

Eph. 6.14 f. Stand therefore . . . having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace.

Eph. 4.1-3 I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beseech you to walk worthily of the calling wherewith you were called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; giving diligence to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Heb. 12.14 Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord.

Rom. 16.20. The God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

2 Cor. 13.11 Finally, brethren . . be perfected; be comforted; be of the same mind; live in peace: and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Phil. 4.7 The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus..
    Jake and anthony wade say Amen and like this.
  9. He is a God of peace & does things in peace Amen!

He leads us in peace, talks to us in peace, walks with us in peace, his presence is in the midst of praise & worship (peace).

He is the Prince Of Peace :)

My delight
    Rusty likes this.
  10. Think about it....

Jake likes this.
  11. – St Cyprian of Carthage
  12. Input from the early Church:

more at http://dumbidols.blogspot.com/2013/04/non-violence-in-early-church-complete.html
  13. Amen, Jake!

Let's be kind to one another with our words. Tearing down people because you disagree isn't okay and it doesn't have to go that far to where insults are thrown at each other.

If it continues, this thread will be closed.

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29
    Jake and Rusty say Amen and like this.
  14. It's quite clear that, contrary to popular belief, that early Christians were not prone to blood shed:

15. – Tertullian, On the Crown, 11:1-5

Tatian (120-180AD)
  16. That's one of my favorites verses!
    Rusty likes this.