Destiny Or Free Will?

Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
I urge you...to offer your bodies>>>Paul says we should offer our bodies, a choice, free will.
He felt the need to tell these Christians to not conform to the pattern of this world...making a choice, free will.
Be transformed by the renewing of your mind>>>Daily renewing, choosing, more free will.
Then you will be able to test and approve>>>Obviously comparing and making a choice. So it's pretty clear that even as believers we choose right living or wrong.
The battle between the Spirit and the flesh continues in us. Paul describes this in Romans chapter 7.

Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
"do not use your freedom to indulge..." and "called to be free". Freedom is free will to follow or not follow.
No! liberty is in the Spirit...not in the "will" of man..? The "will" of man is bondage to the flesh and to sin.

2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Ro 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
Why would Paul have to tell those in the Spirit to not indulge?

Why would Paul have to tell those in the Spirit to not indulge?
Well..of course we all should be aware that the flesh can led us astray... but that scripture in no way promotes the idea that "free-will" is biblical obedience? Free-will is the flesh...and one should not allow this false term to lead them away from the Cross.

If God leads us in all things and in the Spirit we can only do God's will......why does Paul consistently have to remind us:
Romans 12:
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.

If God leads us in all things and in the Spirit we can only do God's will......why does Paul consistently have to remind us:
Romans 12:
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.
Look brother all your pointing to are scriptures that tell us to surrender to Gods will for us..and to not walk in our own will... The term "free-will" does not describe biblical obedience but does describe disobedience.

I don't have a "free-will"...I don't want a free-will..I want to be crucified to my own will and walk in Gods will in His Spirit.

I don't have a "free-will"...I don't want a free-will..I want to be crucified to my own will and walk in Gods will in His Spirit.
I don't get up in the morning and thank God for my own will..or that I might walk in my own free- will! I pray that I might( by His Grace) know and walk in His will...

Moose is using post salvation scriptures to prove free will. That's irrelevant context.

We are limited by the sin nature to only choose to reject God but once we are born of again we can and do exercise our will to become bond slaves to Christ.

That is not the same as when we were unbelievers and did not have free will to believe the Gospel.

That will was turned on in us thru God's foreknowledge and pre planning. He enabled us to believe (by grace) then we believed (thru faith).

I think there is a misunderstanding of what free will means. Following your own will and expecting the Spirit to endorse it is not what is meant by free will. Free will is making the choice to follow God's will or your own or another's. You are right that "The term "free-will" does not describe biblical obedience". It was not meant to. It is only the term for making the choice to follow or not, obedience or disobedience. God does not predetermine your day tomorrow. If you stay in bed all day, God decided that for you? No, you decide that by your free will. God does not force you to do His will, you must be willing. If we wait around for God to show us everything we should do for Him, I think you get the point. God works through our choices because He is not looking for robotic followers. He wants our choices to be for Him.

You have moved yourself into the place where a rebuke is needed.

Lu 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

You got to be kidding, more Scripture taken out of context,

I don't receive it and you don't have any authority over me!

Can't do it can ya?

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 2 Tim 2:24

And you can't teach in the spirit of Nem 8:8, it's either your way or else suffer your attacks,

...there is a spiritual principle taught by our Lord that I and many others have come to learn, that you haven't learned yet,

...before you can teach someone, they have to know you love them.

I have been gentle in trying to teach with lots of patience, but like has been suggested by others, my patience has run out, you are officially on my ignore list.

The next time you attack me I will report you, the rules you agreed to is to disagree with a viewpoint, but we don't attack the poster.

Adieu

Gene

I think there is a misunderstanding of what free will means. Following your own will and expecting the Spirit to endorse it is not what is meant by free will. Free will is making the choice to follow God's will or your own or another's. You are right that "The term "free-will" does not describe biblical obedience". It was not meant to. It is only the term for making the choice to follow or not, obedience or disobedience. God does not predetermine your day tomorrow. If you stay in bed all day, God decided that for you? No, you decide that by your free will. God does not force you to do His will, you must be willing. If we wait around for God to show us everything we should do for Him, I think you get the point. God works through our choices because He is not looking for robotic followers. He wants our choices to be for Him.
No, I think you misunderstand the Cross? A choice in itself does not mean one is in a condition of "free-will" a child can "choose" a toy. that does not mean they are free from the will of their parents. The message of the Cross is to crucify the whole concept that we can somehow follow our own will, and must die to that error of thought. And of course God has made my day tomorrow, and who is speaking of staying in bed? What does that have to do with obedience to the Spirit of god? Free-will would suggest that its ok to "stay in bed.. but not a surrendered will.

You have moved yourself into the place where a rebuke is needed.

Lu 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

You got to be kidding, more Scripture taken out of context,

I don't receive it and you don't have any authority over me!

Can't do it can ya?

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 2 Tim 2:24

And you can't teach in the spirit of Nem 8:8, it's either your way or else suffer your attacks,

...there is a spiritual principle taught by our Lord that I and many others have come to learn, that you haven't learned yet,

...before you can teach someone, they have to know you love them.

I have been gentle in trying to teach with lots of patience, but like has been suggested by others, my patience has run out, you are officially on my ignore list.

The next time you attack me I will report you, the rules you agreed to is to disagree with a viewpoint, but we don't attack the poster.

Adieu

Gene
Well just don't try to put words in my mouth and you wont get rebuked..;)

"post salvation scriptures to prove free will"??? Is there something wrong with post salvation scripture? Paul's letters are extremely relevant to the Christian walk, since they were directed to the church body.

Again if an army chooses to surrender rather than die at the hands of a stronger army...How can that be called "free-will"? Yes there is a choice, to surrender or to die?

No, I think you misunderstand the Cross? A choice in itself does not mean one is in a condition of "free-will" a child can "choose" a toy. that does not mean they are free from the will of their parents. The message of the Cross is to crucify the whole concept that we can somehow follow our own will, and must die to that error of thought. And of course God has made my day tomorrow, and who is speaking of staying in bed? What does that have to do with obedience to the Spirit of god? Free-will would suggest that its ok to "stay in bed.. but not a surrendered will.
Free will would suggest that you have the choice to stay in bed, not whether it is ok or not.

Again if an army chooses to surrender rather than die at the hands of a stronger army...How can that be called "free-will"? Yes there is a choice, to surrender or to die?
Your free will choice can be limited and it always is. So God forced you to surrender?

Free will would suggest that you have the choice to stay in bed, not whether it is ok or not.
Well that would be disobedience..not obedience ! Free-will describes disobedience ...surrendered will describes true obedience . The term is just silly as it relates to the Cross and biblical obedience.

Your free will choice can be limited and it always is. So God forced you to surrender?
Yes.. He was stronger..and I knew I was going to die, if I did not yield my will to His Will. You sure you have met the real deal Holy Spirit? I was convicted of my sin and broken By the Power of God! I surrendered to Him!

Yes.. He was stronger..and I knew I was going to die, if I did not yield my will to His Will. You sure you have met the real deal Holy Spirit? I was convicted of my sin and broken By the Power of God! I surrendered to Him!
I don't know any other kind of faith in Christ...don't want to know any other kind of belief system...where folks set around and talk about how they decided to be a "Christian"...lol

Why would Jesus teach on the three servants who were given 10 talents to one, 5 to another, and 1 to a third? The servants chose what to do with these monies. If they were all led by the masters teaching and leading, why did they have different outcomes? God wants to see what we do with what we are given.

Back