Demons - What Do We Believe?

I have never seen a demon at least that I am aware of. With that said let ask a dumb question.

How do we know if we need to get an exorcism or if we just need to see a doctor?

I have never seen a demon at least that I am aware of. With that said let ask a dumb question.

How do we know if we need to get an exorcism or if we just need to see a doctor?

Hello, that's not a dumb question, it's a very logical question to ask. It takes discernment and since Jesus sent out his disciples with little training, you can only rely on the Spirit. I'm reminded of Paul in the Books of Acts when he cast an unclean spirit out of a woman who was shouting 'these are men of the most high God'. Paul was troubled in his Spirit after much of this and cast the spirit out of the woman. I believe descernment takes time but normally, it's just a deep sense of troubling in your spirit that something is beyond the physical. Hope this helps...

I appreciate your answer. How many "mentally ill" people do you expect are actually being influenced by a demon and would be cured if the demon was driven out?

Hello, that's not a dumb question, it's a very logical question to ask. It takes discernment and since Jesus sent out his disciples with little training, you can only rely on the Spirit. I'm reminded of Paul in the Books of Acts when he cast an unclean spirit out of a woman who was shouting 'these are men of the most high God'. Paul was troubled in his Spirit after much of this and cast the spirit out of the woman. I believe descernment takes time but normally, it's just a deep sense of troubling in your spirit that something is beyond the physical. Hope this helps...
That story always makes me laugh, because Paul didn't cast the demon out right away. I think she was following him around for a few days and then finally it said Paul got "annoyed" and then casted it out. I don't know why, but thats funny to me.

Paul never healed anyone. God healed people using Paul as a messenger. So, if God didn't want to heal Paul, Paul would have remained sick.

Yes, Jesus healed through Paul. God never doesn't want to heal anyone. His will is that we all be well. Our healing in available through Jesus' atonement. It is up to us to appropriate it (seeing as we already have it!) from our spirit where all God's promises are deposited and move it into the soul by belief and then the body will respond.

Therefore, because Paul knew this, He was not asking God to heal Him.

Okay so the demon responded to him and told him that he had authority over the woman because of specific unforgiveness in her heart. He asked the woman about the specific unforgiveness and she was surprised that he knew because she hasn't told him about it. He said she needed to repent from that or the demon would have power to continue tormenting her.

Thoughts? Can we give power to the dark side by having hate, bitterness, or unforgiveness in our hearts even though we are Christians?

Short answer: absolutely.

I appreciate your answer. How many "mentally ill" people do you expect are actually being influenced by a demon and would be cured if the demon was driven out?
Not all sickness is the results of demonic activity, but all sickness is the results of sin. Not that the person who is sick caused it. Jesus was asked...

Joh 9:2 And his disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
Joh 9:3 Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.

What was the Works of God that would be displayed in him? It was that Jesus would destroy the works of the Devil. There would be no sickness if there was no sin in the world. Then we have this scripture where Jesus found a man who was crippled....

Mat 9:1 And getting into a boat he crossed over and came to his own city.
Mat 9:2 And behold, some people brought to him a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven."
Mat 9:3 And behold, some of the scribes said to themselves, "This man is blaspheming."
Mat 9:4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts?
Mat 9:5 For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise and walk'?

Not that this man was crippled because of some sin he had done, but because of sin that was in the world.

Wow, this thread went wild. I wish I wasn't so tired -- I would read through it better. This has been a Day. My husband and I talked about it quite awhile. Bless all of you as you seek Him.

I feel like we are splitting hairs here. But here is a bible verse that says Paul did it. Again of course we know its by the power of the Holy Spirit. But of the bible feels comfortable enough to say Paul did it (even though we know it was God through Paul) I think it's okay for us to be comfortable:

The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had faith to be healed,

Act 14:10
Said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet. And he leaped and walked.

Act 14:11
And when the people saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men.

I am still not comfortable. I wouldn't say it myself.

Yes, Jesus healed through Paul. God never doesn't want to heal anyone. His will is that we all be well. Our healing in available through Jesus' atonement. It is up to us to appropriate it (seeing as we already have it!) from our spirit where all God's promises are deposited and move it into the soul by belief and then the body will respond.

Therefore, because Paul knew this, He was not asking God to heal Him.

I am familiarized with this doctrine because it is popular in certain churches. However, it doesn't seem to be a Biblical doctrine. For example, 1 Timothy 5:23. If Timothy was sick, why Paul didn't tell him that he had to appropriate himself of the healing that God is always willing to concede?

I am familiarized with this doctrine because it is popular in certain churches. However, it doesn't seem to be a Biblical doctrine. For example, 1 Timothy 5:23. If Timothy was sick, why Paul didn't tell him that he had to appropriate himself of the healing that God is always willing to concede?

Popular doctrine? It is the truth that is taught in GOOD churches who preach the word.

As for Timothy, why shouldn't he, like anyone else fall ill? We live in a fallen world where disease and death is something we all must deal with. Paul simply told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach malady. After all, that is good advice for people who travel---don't drink the local water. We are to live using good judgment. Paul was offering the young man some good advice. It was a letter to his young charge, after all.

Last edited:
I have had experience, like many have, with Christians who have had demons. Whatever difference between oppression and possession your understanding tells you, it makes no difference, because the person is most miserable and that misery is the SAME. He is lacking in victory and needs to be set free.

Why would anyone who is unsaved want a demon cast out of him? Most aren't vexed by it---they don't know enough to be. It is Christians who are beset and miserable and actually seek freedom.

You do not realize that demons lurk within a person's soul---not the spirit---after they are saved. That is why we hear so much about spiritual strongholds! They either were there from the beginning or they were let in after salvation.

Well, I am afraid I have do disagree with you Euphemia. It maybe because you have blurred the difference between the soul and spirit of man or even the differences between "oppression" and "possession".

Yes, YOU are 100% correct that as believers, we wage war with Satan and his demons, but not from within ourselves. The apostle John declares to all of us in 1 John 4:4...........
“You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world”.

Now then, who is the One in us? Of course that is the The Holy Spirit, the 3rd person of the Trinity. HE IS GOD!
Now, allow me to ask you a simple question. Do you believe in the Trinity, that being God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, all three co-equal and co-eternal ?

Now then, who is the one in the world? Satan and his demons. How then can the GOD of Creation and author of salvation allow the devil to live in the same temple....our bodies--- as He is living?????? Please give us the Scriptures that verify your position on this.

Having now established this fact Biblically, the Scriptures tell us that the believer has overcome the world of demons, and the case for demon possession of a believer cannot be made scripturally. Now that is the short story and it is the Biblical answer.

Now comes the position of which you are presenting. Even with the strong biblical evidence that a Christian cannot be demon possessed in view, some people use the term “demonization” to refer to a demon having control over a Christian. Some argue that while a Christian cannot be demon possessed, a Christian can be demonized. Typically, the description of demonization is virtually identical to the description of demon possession. So, the same issue results. Changing the terminology does not change the fact that a demon cannot inhabit or take full control of a Christian.

Demonic influence and oppression are realities for Christians, no doubt, but it is simply not biblical to say that a Christian can be possessed by a demon or demonized. Now, please, before jumping on me......please supply the Biblical support that would form a basis for your opinion. That way you are not disagreeing with me, but with the Scriptures themselves.

As I have said before, I have been at this for some time now. I have been to some really strange places with strange practices and religions. I have been to Africa (Uganda), Hattie, Central America and most if not all of the reasoning behind the demonization concept is the personal experience side of this happening. WE must all be carful so that we do not allow personal experiences to influence our interpretation of Scripture.

Rather, we must filter our personal experiences through the truth of Scripture!!!

2 Timothy 3:16-17.....
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works".

Here then is the KEY to all of this in MY OPINION:
Seeing someone whom we thought to be a Christian exhibiting the behavior of being demonized should cause us to question the genuineness of his/her faith. It should not cause us alter our viewpoint on whether a Christian can be demon possessed / demonized. Perhaps the person truly is a Christian but is severely demon oppressed and/or suffering from severe psychological problems. But again, our experiences must meet the test of Scripture, not the other way around.

Popular doctrine? It is the truth that is taught in GOOD churches who preach the word.

As for Timothy, why shouldn't he, like anyone else fall ill? We live in a fallen world where disease and death is something we all must deal with. Paul simply told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach malady. After all, that is good advice for people who travel---don't drink the local water. We are to live using good judgment. Paul was offering the young man some good advice. It was a letter to his young charge, after all.

I would encourage you to not place your personal preferences of what constitutes a "good" church.

There are Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, Church of Christ, Church of God, and the list goes on and on. When you proclaim that the truth is taught in only GOOD churches, you open the door to conflict and confrontation with all of these other people because we all believe that our personal church is a GOOD church.

You are quite right. The examples of God NOT healing an individual in certain circumstances are to numerous to list here.

That however does not mean that God does not heal us of our infirmities. He is God and as such He can and will do whatever He wants to do.

Bless you!

You are quite right. The examples of God NOT healing an individual in certain circumstances are to numerous to list here.

That however does not mean that God does not heal us of our infirmities. He is God and as such He can and will do whatever He wants to do.

Bless you!

God bless you too, brother.

Wait, what's the difference between the soul and the spirit? I don't mean to stray off topic, but I want to understand Euphemia's point of view.

I do not know if I can help you understand the difference between soul and spirit but I will certainly try. If this does not help you, you are welcome to send me a PM and I will try to help you.

The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial aspects that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word “spirit” refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits.

However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13).

In Paul's writing, the spiritual was pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity which gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word “spirit” is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24).

This is the reason why a real believer can not be possessed by demons. Yes, a "make believer" can but then that person is not really born again hence the problem.

The word “soul” can refer to both the immaterial and material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most basic sense, the word “soul” means “life.”

However, beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of the soul in many contexts. One of these is humanity’s eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Humanity is naturally evil, and our souls are tainted as a result. The life principle of the soul is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word “soul” is used, it can refer to the whole person, whether alive or in the afterlife.

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12).
The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.

If you can ask the question.........then you know you need to make an appointment with your dr.

I do not know if I can help you understand the difference between soul and spirit but I will certainly try. If this does not help you, you are welcome to send me a PM and I will try to help you.

The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial aspects that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word “spirit” refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits.

However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13).

In Paul's writing, the spiritual was pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity which gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word “spirit” is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24).

This is the reason why a real believer can not be possessed by demons. Yes, a "make believer" can but then that person is not really born again hence the problem.

The word “soul” can refer to both the immaterial and material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most basic sense, the word “soul” means “life.”

However, beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of the soul in many contexts. One of these is humanity’s eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Humanity is naturally evil, and our souls are tainted as a result. The life principle of the soul is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word “soul” is used, it can refer to the whole person, whether alive or in the afterlife.

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12).
The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.
Okay. Thanks. I think I get it. I always thought soul and spirit were the same.

But can the soul ,not the spirit, be possessed, in your opinion?

When I look at scripture and examine what the demons had to do, it was things like causing a person to be blind, deaf, dumb, and things of that nature. Do you think it's possible the same level of activity exist today, but we just have more medical terms for it?
May be true.. I do not know.. Demons do bring physical ailments.. But not always.. I would never say every bad thing happening in the world is because of demons.. Some think they have developed the habit of biting nails due to demons! They start going for deliverance meetings.. I think it is not for us to sit and distinguish what is caused by demons and what is not.. In a way every bad is because of satan.. He is the only who brought about the fall.. So everything is attributed to him.. God is NEVER the author of evil.. So in that sense, satan is the culprit for everything.. That does not mean, we take everything and start rebuking.. God has His own purpose and Will.. Putting trust in Him that He is in control is all that we have to do.. He has called us to live a life pleasing to Him.. When we do that, the devil will flee away..

The other interesting thing I find in Bible is, most of the demon possessed men or women come out themselves to Jesus.. Whenever Jesus would enter a city, they would run towards Him and cry.. That He has come to torment them.. That is one of the reasons I believe demonic activity was so high at the time of Jesus.. Because satan was pulling together everything up his sleeves to stop God's redemptive plan..

Back