Defining Christianity In A Way That Is Acceptable To All?

Do you think it's a case of people being deliberately misled though, or people who just cannot agree about certain fundamentals?

There are Jezebel spirits in the Church for sure; those who are self centered, need attention, make up their own doctrine, seek to divide, etc. There are also false profits among us who will indeed willingly mislead those who are weak in faith, do not have a good relationship with Christ, have poor judgment/discernment etc. One of the most important things to remember is to keep humble. Rebuke a brother or sister when necessary and back it up with scripture, not your opinion and have the humility to be rebuked yourself. When one remains humble, they can look past subtle differences in their interpretation of scripture and sit down and have a cup of coffee together without reservation.

Do you think it's a case of people being deliberately misled though, or people who just cannot agree about certain fundamentals?

A whole lot of both.
In the case of the Jehovah's Witnesses, Tazel Russell and his crowd deliberately misconstrued scripture to support their own notions.
I would support the notion that they were drawn away by Satan who played into their own egos. All who followed them were deliberately misled by Russell et al.

The notion of Sola Scriptura is a fundamental that certainly divides, and on that vein the "authority of the church".

I noticed that there are many who get completely hung up on meaningless trivia (calling it fundamental) , and this is guaranteed to cause division. Who cares whether you play Bridge or dance? to some it's monumentally important.

I just want to point out a key part of being Christian is being loyal. Even the demon believe. Just check the greek word it has the connotative meaning of loyalty

That's because there are wolves among us who need to be sought out for who they really are. The enemy loves to divide.
There is division because elements in early Christianity abandoned the rightful Order of Melchizedek.

Instead they created their own version of the Levitical Order where men ordained whom would be priests.

The blame is squarely upon drinkers of old wine.

There is division because elements in early Christianity abandoned the rightful Order of Melchizedek.

Instead they created their own version of the Levitical Order where men ordained whom would be priests.

The blame is squarely upon drinkers of old wine.
You keep using terms with your own definitions.

Others may not be as enlightened and it presents an air of superiority.

Do you feel that this definition of Christianity is the closest one that all can agree with:

"We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. That is, they honestly believe that they follow Yeshua of Nazareth's (a.k.a. Jesus Christ's) teachings as they understand them to be. "

It reads fine. I would personally rephrase it as something like ''If you live and die for Jesus you are a Christian''.

Nero would not care what denomination we were and those kind of days are coming Matt 24:9.

I like how Paul said 1 Cor 2:2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

You keep using terms with your own definitions.

Others may not be as enlightened and it presents an air of superiority.

These are not MY terms, they are the scriptual ones.

The Order of Melchizedek goes back to Abraham, He was the forerunner of Christ.
The order of Aaaron was removed for Levi and that order was removed by Jesus and replaced back with Melchizedek.

With Jesus as the High Priest.

No more old wine, only new wine in new skins as he said in Luke.

Do you feel that this definition of Christianity is the closest one that all can agree with:

"We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. That is, they honestly believe that they follow Yeshua of Nazareth's (a.k.a. Jesus Christ's) teachings as they understand them to be. "

This was taken from the website religioustolerance.org.

They also sort Christians into eight approximate groups:

Roman Catholicism
Eastern Orthodoxy
Oriental Orthodox and Assyrian Churches
Protestantism
Restorationists
Anglican Communion
Pentecostals
Others

Since this is an area that breeds such disagreement, do you feel this is mostly accurate? My person feeling is that it is, and that this website has looked to be accurate and fair to all.

Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/christ7.htm
It is ok, but it seems to leave out the teachings of Paul, Peter, John and James, who were inspired by the Holy Spirit, which are an integral part of explanation and the "putting into use" of Jesus' teachings.

If you look... The question "What is Christianity" has already been well defined....
Look at the Nicean creed..... It is a clear statement of What Christianity Is at the most basic level....

Once you get much beyond this - you start defining "Denominations" within "Orthodox" Christianity....

Like... Say for example... If you don't believe in the Dual nature of Jesus... Fully God and Fully Man - you are NOT a Christian... even if you call yourself one....

But.. The irony is that we go to war and declare each other heretics and blasphemers over peripheral issues that are NOT central to our faith. Belief that some people can perform Healings, tongues, and prophecy vs belief that people can not perform Healings, tongues, and prophecy DOES NOT make you NOT a Christian either way...

Christians are people who think that the problem is sin. They think that salvation is the solution.

That is seventeen words, which are likely true of all Christans.

In my personal opinion, the Nicene Creed most accurately and poetically defines Christianity. The main premise I believe is an acceptance of the Trinity, and that our Lord is one person of it. However, it should also follow, as created beings we can never fully comprehend the nature of the uncreated. I thought I wrapped my head around it a few times, but atlas I never did. So, we're all going to be a little off with that aspect, but as it pertains to Christ Jesus, the human nature of Him began with His conception by the Holy Spirit, and ended with His crucifixion (notwithstanding the resurrection), in a sense then, having the right faith in His human nature, and accepting that He also has the divine nature, though it is incomprehensible is sufficient.

I've also considered what are the traits that constitute a "good" Christian, and while in some ways contradicting sola fide, I think that even those who adhere to sola fide would agree with these as things a good Christian should pursue (I call them the Seven Bonae):

Good Faith--I believe in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and the Son's incarnation and sacrifice for my sins.
Good Works--I will serve God in the actions that I take and produce the fruits of the Holy Spirit to confirm that He is in me.
Good Intentions--I do this because I love God and not myself.
Good Heart--I grieve for those who do not know Him and for those who suffer.
Good Doctrine--I know who Jesus was and what He did.
Good Worship--I worship for His sake not my own.
Good Fellowship--I associate with people for the benefit of faith and not the detriment of it.

I think sometimes it takes a while to perceive a true Christian, because its not a matter of outward appearance or words, its a matter of a new Life in the person who calls themselves a "Christian''...

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 ¶ And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

I think sometimes it takes a while to perceive a true Christian, because its not a matter of outward appearance or words, its a matter of a new Life in the person who calls themselves a "Christian''...

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 ¶ And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Amen. Your post reminds me of this verse:

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

The phrase "True Christian" always makes me feel uncomfortable, because the judgment comes from the person using the phrase. It isn't for another Christian to say. God can judge such things, but to say this person or that person is or isn't a Christian is using the No True Scotsman logical fallacy.

A simple rendition of the fallacy:
Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
Person B: "I am Scottish, and I put sugar on my porridge."
Person A: "Well, no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

And so usually when a person tells me they are a Christian, I simply accept them at their word.

1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11 ¶ For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

John 13 (The Message)
34-35 “Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”
And a favorite song. I love to sing it for special music during our Sunday service.
And They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord,
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord,
And we pray that all unity may one day be restored.

Refrain
And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love,
Yes, they’ll know we are Christians by our love.

2. We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand,
We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand,
And together we’ll spread the news that God is in our land.

3. We will work with each other, we will work side by side,
We will work with each other, we will work side by side,
And we’ll guard each one’s dignity and save each one’s pride.

4. All praise to the Father, from whom all things come,
And all praise to Christ Jesus, his only Son,
And all praise to the Spirit, who makes us one.

Back