Dealing with Others - Must Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 41,000 Christian denominations (1) it is a guarantee that there will be disagreements. To that end, how one acts with the other in disagreement is key to how they are in their real walk with Christ. Only the word of God is final, but it's sin in our lives that blind us from the truth of those words, Eph 4:17-18.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that the word of God is not only a guide book for our lives, but a book of principles. While computers are not mentioned, if one spends all their time on the computer (even if only on this site) it can make the computer their god. And this will affect your relationship with God. The word of God shows our condition, whatever it is, and points us to Jesus. If anything at all comes first then that is your god, and you'll leave in error. That is a principle. I speak to myself first. All of creations, the word of God, and especially us, are signposts to Jesus. Anything else is ego and vanity.

If you MUST win an argument, then you're here for the wrong reasons, and are filled with yourself and pride. These are not the things of God. Get your emotions in check. God's word will be around long after you're dead along with you "passionate" defence of it. Most people run on autopilot and don't realize even what they do. That's passiveness. God wants us to be in complete control, 2 Tim 1:7, but it doesn't happen overnight (and sometimes it does). It's taken many decades to get jaded and angry. While it won't take decades to fix, most don't realize they have these issues so as to begin the transformational process to perfection, Heb 6:1. Don't bait them, don't attack them. Keep the peace, Psa 133:1. Jesus only spoke harsh words to those who claimed to know the will of God and really didn't. Don't be one of them. Let the mods take care of the hypocrites, use the report button.

It takes practice, but if your heart is pure and wish to help, speak and have a dialog with others that don't agree. But you must use the Holy Spirit to guide you to know if what you're saying is going to be heard. If not, move on, Pro 23:9. Now that's not to say you're right and they're wrong, just that you need to stick to the word of God and the facts, not dogma. Be a sign post. Does the sign argue with the driver who ignores the sign that the bridge is out? No. Present the truth and if they don't wish to bend, move on. Even Jesus had to learn obedience, we certainly do too, Heb 5:8.

God does love everyone. He died for us all. Remember that when in discussions with others that don't agree with your beliefs. Those that stir up strife will be dealt with by the mods.

Colossians 3:23-25 (KJV)
And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Reference:
(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

All believers belong to one body in Christ, as a parent's offspring belong to one family. Just as variations in doctrines can cause disagreement, children with different values and reasoning can foster disagreement with each other. This is a great reason Paul mentioned: "Do not be wise in your own opinion". When you understand that you are not omniscient, then you will be able to respect other people's perspective on a topic.

What about people belonging to cults. I have been to the Philippines and while there I noticed these nice white looking cathedral like churches. They have Inglesia Ni Christo on the front. So I find a member and ask them what it is all about. She told me it is all about true salvation. I said, you mean Jesus Christ. She said immediately, Jesus is not God. Who told you that I said. She said go to the so and so website. They explain it all there. I said I am not interested in a false Christ or false gospel. She said that she was not either. So I decided to leave it at that. To argue or debate was pointless and we should recognise and avoid such debates.

What about people belonging to cults. I have been to the Philippines and while there I noticed these nice white looking cathedral like churches. They have Inglesia Ni Christo on the front. So I find a member and ask them what it is all about. She told me it is all about true salvation. I said, you mean Jesus Christ. She said immediately, Jesus is not God. Who told you that I said. She said go to the so and so website. They explain it all there. I said I am not interested in a false Christ or false gospel. She said that she was not either. So I decided to leave it at that. To argue or debate was pointless and we should recognise and avoid such debates.

I read an advice I liked very much about how to deal with the particular brand of unitarians that are member of the watchtower organization and that are more commonly known as Jehovah's witnesses, and I think it somewhat applies to face-to-face encounters with anyone who rejects any of the the major tenets of the historical Christian faith, such as about who Jesus Christ is, as presented by several passages of Scriptures including John 20:28 and context where Thomas exclaimed to Jesus "My Lord and my God", in answer to which Jesus did not rebuke him at all.

The advice was to agree with that person that you will listen to her making her point under the express condition that she listen to you also when she has finished the agreed upon time period to present her point, say 30 minutes. The advice was to truly listen to the other person, not block her all the time. Afterwards, when it is your turn to speak, you share with that person how you have come to know Christ as a personal Savior. We are not here in a spirit of debate but in a spirit of helping someone understanding who Christ is and how it is possible to know Him as Christians do. When you are finished, ask the person if she would please share something of her personal relationship with God and with Christ.

All the time, the book insisted, it is important to speak to the other person out of a spirit of love and an attitude of true concern for her. The spirit of this advice is applicable everywhere, whether in face-to-face relationship or in distance on line type of relationship. On line, I prefer to be asked if what I meant was what the other person interpreted and to be given the opportunity to rectify before being criticized. I assume it to be the same for the people I am addressing, especially when there is a marked difference in views such as the one you mention.

There is much more to be said about all this, but I do hope that this little blitz will be somewhat be helful either to yourself or to other readers of this thread.

Last edited:
Speaking the truth in Love agreeing to disagree (on all things but salvation) is not only no issue but a sign of spiritual maturity. The day we all have perfect doctrine is the day our Lord sets His foot back on the earth.

I love this. Well said. My ex-husbands family is SO SPIRITUAL, but really lack Christ in their lives. They are all about show / works. Every time I would share my spiritual thoughts, etc. they would tell me I was wrong and full of demons. I kid you not. You could never have your own opinion with them. I always thought it was so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back