1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Dating a Catholic girl?

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Serene Potato, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Hello. :)
    I need some help with a relationship I've been having with a Catholic girl.
    I have had many "crushes" in the past on girls, but when I met this girl, I felt something for her that was beyond a mere crush, I started getting lovesick about her. I started a good relationship with the girl (I didn't ask her to get in bed or anything like that). One day I asked her if she was religious, and she said that she was a Catholic. Yesterday, (April 5th) she was accepted into the Catholic church during Easter Mass. There is just one problem. I am a devout Protestant.
    I do not know what do make of this, I am very much in love with her, far beyond a mere "crush". Will this difference in Christianity beliefs cause much trouble? I am very uncertain about this.

2. I think it is OK to be in a relationship with another Christian from another denomination.
    The most important thing to remember is that you mustn't allow the relationship to hinder your walk with God.
    What you need to do if you already haven't, is to tell her what your beliefs are and what practices you perform. If she is understanding and agrees to allow you to practice your denomination, this is good.
    To clarify, as long as there is a mutual understanding, you should be OK entering a relationship.

2 Corinthians 13:11
    Finally, brothers and sisters,rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

3. Thanks :)
    I'll try that.

4. Hello,
    suppose your relationship progressed to the point where you were both contemplating marriage.
    It is quite possible that her parish priest would require that you convert to Roman catholisism...at least that is what used to happen.
    Would you be comfortable with that?
    And would you be comfortable with any children being brought up in the Catholic faith?
    I'm not suggesting that there is anything intrinsically wrong either way, but these are issues you would need to face should things go that far.
    hope this is of some help.

5. This is a hard one. I think the differences between Catholics and Protestants is very broad when compared to other denominations.. I think calvin has a great point as well.. The differences would cause some issues even when you start planning for marriage.. It is not that it is absolutely no.. You should know how you both together would handle all the issues that would come up

6. As the other members have said; the main problems you shall encounter is if you get to marriage. From my understanding, I may be wrong and I'm sure @LysanderShapiro will be able to clarify, the Catholic faith is rather strict and may require conversation from the other partner.
    Dating not an issue, committment in marriage...probable.

7. What interests me is that you had to ask if she is religious.

The RCC does allow you to marry her today as long as it is inter denomination and not inter faith. The priest may vet you for your devotion to Christ ;).

I know a few that are happily married and making it work. My wife's family is mostly Catholic. If you love Jesus and each other, it is a reasonable expectation for you two to tolerate each others beliefs. She is devoted to her faith because she does not love Jesus?

LysanderShapiro likes this.
  8. The Catholic Church has many things it requires to be married within it, but a conversion is not one of them necessarily. They will most likely want to see your baptismal certificate (Christian baptisms outside of the Catholic Church are still recognized as valid), will want to sit down and speak with both of you and each of you one-on-one (the priest who will be performing the ceremony), and you will be required to go to pre-Cana classes...it's usually a three-day event where there is pre-marriage counseling. It's with a bunch of other engaged couples -- it's actually very useful. It's a source of advice, prayer, etc. etc.

KingJ said it best -- interfaith is a restriction, but inter-denomination isn't necessarily.

9. Sounds good; thanks for the clarification @LysanderShapiro.
    @Serene Potato, I hope this clarifies and doubts you may have.

Serene Potato likes this.
  10. I vote for God's love as the determining factor - should you both have it, good, no stumbling block to trip up your feet.
    Denominational issues is only an optional, as these things are not above God Himself.
    May you be blessed in this pursuit of a life mate as it is good for man to not be alone.

11. #11 Juk, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
    I don't know much about Protestants, but if you follow the Bible, God says not to form relationships with unbelievers. I wish I had the Bible verse right now, but I don't know which one it is specifically.

Quote glitch rectified.
    Fish_of_Faith (Note: Coding Error)

12. Interesting you do not know much about Protestants? ....I wonder what your leaders: pastors, elders, in the Church where you are part of see Catholicism as well….

Hmmm.... am just trying to figure out in what degree of ….errr…. heresy the idea presented belongs : )

The environment one belongs to counts as "mitigating" factors : )

13. you're 12? ...... and "age"... is also a mitigating factor....even in secular issues : )

14. #14 Juk, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
    I don't listen to my pastor. I only often to the Bible. I only go to church out of obligation. And my mom forces me too.

Quote failure rectified.
    Fish_of_Faith (Note: Coding error)

15. you’re 12.

You are smarter than when you were 2 years old…. of course! : )

When you are 22, you will be smarter than you were 12.
    When you are 32, you will know better when you were 22.
    When you are 42, than 32…. And so on….

10 years difference is quite a lot…

Thus, all culture: religious or secular…. We respect opinion, the wisdom of people older than us…

Juk, Euphemia and KingJ says Amen and like this.
  16. #16 KingJ, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Yes, scripture does. Scripture is clear on that. Just as scripture is clear that the steps of a righteous person are lead by God.

17. #17 Euphemia, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Eventually, if your relationship progresses further to engagement and marriage, this difference will cause problems and pain for the both of you. Our beliefs about God are to be the same if we are to follow God's word about the marital relationship. We are NOT to marry unequally. If you proceed to marriage, you will be marrying a person who does not share your faith, and you, hers. That is a surefire way to have great contention and even separation between two who should be joined together equally.

Allowing yourself to "fall in love" with someone who does not share your faith equally is a mistake.

2 Corinthians 6:14
    Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

This is an excellent warning also for people who enter into relationship from different faiths as well. A marriage that takes place between people of differing levels and styles of faith never fails to bring trouble. It's a certainty.

18. True.

19. I meant that I only listen to the Bible. It was a typo. But I do agree with what you have said. The problem with my pastor and my church is that they focus to much on trying to make people feel good than teaching valuable lessons about Scripture. Overall, I do not believe that my church is doing its job, which is what I believe to help enhance our personal relationship is Jesus Christmas and teach us about doctrine.

20. Yup. Thanks to all people who replied, your advice is golden :)