cursing the fig tree

Yes, Der Pilger, I believe that the linking of the fig tree and the temple is not to be overlooked. The fig tree which produces leaves and therefore promises fruit, but provides nothing to eat may be seen as a picture of the empty worship of the temple (Read Mi.7:1 and Jer.8:13). The withering of the fig tree is a prefiguring of the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D. The temple had much to show outwardly, but spiritually it was dead.

A serious matter for us as Christians to contemplate. There is a lovely old song (very old song) which goes something like this "Nothing but leaves for the Master, Oh how His blessed heart grieves.......when we offer him nothing but leaves."

God Bless you as we learn together.

As with many things Christ did I believe that there are several meanings for the actions of cursing the fig tree. They have all been explained thoroughly here from a simple act showing that anything is possible with God to a more deeper representation of Israel and the people.

Something that just came in my inbox relivant to the fig tree .

The Fig Tree

The next day, Jesus was leaving Bethany. He was hungry. Jesus
saw a fig tree with leaves. So Jesus went to the tree to see
if it had any figs growing on it. But Jesus found no figs on
the tree. There were only leaves. It was not the right time
for figs to grow. So Jesus said to the tree, "People will
never eat fruit from you again." Jesus' followers heard him
say this.

-- Mark 11:12-14 (ERV)

KEY THOUGHT:
What? What in the world is this about? ... Yeah, that's most people's
response to this story. Jesus uses his miraculous powers to curse the
fig tree. Our human viewpoint looks on this as capricious and unfair.
It's not even the season for figs and yet Jesus curses it because it is
fruitless. Clearly, Jesus is trying to teach his close followers -- and
us in the process -- something very important. As in some other stories
and events in the New Testament, it is important that we focus on the
one key point of the story. As this story unfolds, it is possible to
see that the lack of fruit on the fig tree foreshadows Jerusalem and
all that it symbolizes with the Temple -- the central religious place
for God's people. Jesus will die there. He will die for the people
there ... and people all over the world. He will come looking to see if
there is fruit as a result of his life, sacrifice, and resurrection.
There will be choices to make. There will be a season of decision and
fruit-bearing. Jerusalem had its time. Now it is our own time of
decision and continuous fruit-bearing. What will our future be?

i think by cursing this fig tree ,he shows that the curse on the earth is lifted by his coming.and as you can see our improvement in 2000 yrs after,4000 yrs before Christs arrival was very harduous and slow.

As with many things Christ did I believe that there are several meanings for the actions of cursing the fig tree. They have all been explained thoroughly here from a simple act showing that anything is possible with God to a more deeper representation of Israel and the people.

Klye,
You are right my brother and each one of us gets a different interpretion and all of them are good and give us so much insite into the verse tht I never thought about before.

That's what is so great about scripture cause each time you read it , you get a different prospective.

The fig tree represents mankind. Jesus can come at anytime and ask us to show him our fruits. We should bear fruit in and out of season.

We never know when He will come to harvest.

The fig tree was not ready!

My 2 cents worth.

Its my opinion that this is the most accurate so far.

and AMs thing; I think it also has a tie in with the scripture that says you will know real Christians by their fruit:).

If Jesus was 'destroying the tree of good and evil' Why did He have to go to the cross? There would be no need.

Another fall will occur That day, the rapture, won't happen before there is a great falling away.
2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,... Its not like Adams fall, in that man will not give the keys to Satan but it is a great fall

I heard is said once that throughout the Bible, when trees are mentioned it is in reference to Israel. And what Jesus was saying is that the leaves were the people of Israel and they were not producing fruit. Kinda like when he was talking to the disciples and saying the fields were ripe for harvest.
It seems to make sense though with the way that Jesus taught in parables.

I heard is said once that throughout the Bible, when trees are mentioned it is in reference to Israel. And what Jesus was saying is that the leaves were the people of Israel and they were not producing fruit. Kinda like when he was talking to the disciples and saying the fields were ripe for harvest.
It seems to make sense though with the way that Jesus taught in parables.

I just heard this in our am service that there were six times the fig tree was mentioned and it is a symbol of Israel ..
Matthew 24:33 ....Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[a]is near, right at the door.

Footnotes:
  1. Matthew 24:33 Or he
The Jewish Christians understood the fig tree as the house and the nation of Israel and that Israel would be reborn in the last days just as the fig tree bears leaves in the spring and they know the season changes .

Psalm 102: 15 The nations will fear the name of the LORD,
all the kings of the earth will revere your glory.

16 For the LORD will rebuild Zion
and appear in his glory.

Isaiah 46:9-10
9 Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.

10 I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand,
and I will do all that I please.

I never understood the cursing of the fig tree. He cursed it because there was no fruit on it, and yet the story says that it wasn't time for fruit to be on it. So why blame the tree and curse it? It sounds very unreasonable to expect fruit on the tree out of season and then get angry and blame the tree when there is no fruit. Maybe I'm missing the point of that story.
I believe it was aimed at Israel, for they were to produce fruit for God and did not and look what happened to Israel after.

Rodger

I never understood the cursing of the fig tree. He cursed it because there was no fruit on it, and yet the story says that it wasn't time for fruit to be on it. So why blame the tree and curse it? It sounds very unreasonable to expect fruit on the tree out of season and then get angry and blame the tree when there is no fruit. Maybe I'm missing the point of that story.

I see it as Jesus showing His displeasure against such, that has a great show without any fruit, as this tree has many leaves but no fruit. Know what I mean? Some people (the Pharisees for example) Look holy, act holy, speak holy ect..., but have no real fruit of the Spirit. There are many Pharisees today.
Jesus is expressing the judgment of God on those who despise him. He has His mission of salvation in mind when he sees the barren fig tree even though it has leaves.
Jesus has come to inaugurate the New Covenant that He represents and His cursing of the fig tree is the wiping out of the Old Covenant with Himself as the New Covenant firmly entrenched in His mind.

Back