Crucifixion "contradictions"

Ok so I recently went over some contradictions about the crucifixion and I'm going to summarize what I wrote. The full thing is here on my Google drive https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z9sVGFLN3zrMi0AnH32YaxBSFdX0fbYLJRm2l-sELFE/edit#

1st Who carried the cross...."in all gospels except John jesus has help"

False John describes Jesus Heading out of the city to the place of the skull. The other gospels mention Simon of Cyrene coming by as Jesus is headed out of the city. Just because one gospel does not mention something does not make it contradictory. We also have to consider that these are multiple writers all writing from their POV. They may choose to exclude things or not mention events that do not seem important

2nd What did the fox...err sign say.

Simple they all say the same thing with the exception of a few words. Also they were written in three different languages. . Latin the language of the roman empire, greek the language of culture and intellect, and Armaic the language of the local populace. Luke likely quoted the Greek. John used the word title which is latin. Matthew wrote his gospel for the Jews and Mark abbreviates the description....or they all paraphrased it doesn't really matter till not even really a contradiction

3rd What was he given to drink?

The main word used is OXOS and when jesus is given just OXOS. Mark and Matthew both agree Jesus was given wine mixed with something. But this something seems to differ in each account. However, Matthew uses the wordchole which represents a number of bitter substances including myrrh (which is famous for its bitterness), thus eliminating any contradiction.

Also there is skepticism about whether or not he drank it. Here is how it unfolded Jesus was offered wine twice or another theory is that it was three times. drink the first time he refused to drink it because it was drugged. This also happened before he was crucified. (Matthew 27:34 & mark 15:23 ) The second time he was offered plain vinegar, but the chief priests did not want him to drink it.(Matthew 27:48, mark 15:36, John 19:29, and luke 23:36) Now there are two possibilities either the roman soldier ignored them and gave Jesus the wine or the soldier listened which is more likely. The other possibility is that the soldier listened to the priest and chose to give Jesus the wine when he asked for it in John 19:29. The former is more likely because the other gospels record Jesus “crying out”.

4th The women women were in different places

False and true the women as in Mary was near the cross while he was alive. Then they moved away from the crucifixion site and were at a distance when he died.

5th The temple curtain

Mark, Matthew, and Luke all mention that the temple veil was torn but only Matthew mentions an earthquake. Matthew also mentions the dead rising. The temple veil likely tore due to the earthquake.
Only the rich Jews would actually be buried in a grave and according to John 12.9-11 shows that lazarus who was raised from the dead became a target of the pharisees. This explains why not many would know about this, except for those in the area.

6th Another “contradiction brought up is “when was the veil torn before or after.” Keep in mind the bible is a translation and should be treated with a greek/ hebrew view. The word used for Then also means “and” which makes much more sense in this scenario.

7th Last words of Jesus
(NIV) Contradiction 1: About the ninth hour Jesus cried out... My God, My God, why have you forsaken me? Matthew 27:46

(NIV) Contradiction 2: Jesus called out with a loud voice, Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. When he had said this, he breathed his last. Luke 23:46

(NIV) Contradiction 3: Jesus said, It is finished. With that, he...gave up his spirit. John 19:30

NOT CONTRADICTORY Matthew and mark do not state these are Jesus's last words.
The real "problem" comes from Luke and John who both claim to quote Jesus' actual last words. One possible solution is the men's position in relation to the cross. The above verses differentiate

between Jesus' spoken and shouted statements. Because John was said to have been at the foot of the cross, it is possible he heard Jesus' spoken words while the others only heard the statements Jesus shouted. Because Matthew mentions Jesus shouting another statement, this scenario is possible.

LASTLY "the centurion is not mentioned in all gospels"

In luke it mentions he was "innocent" but the greek means "
  1. G1342 - dikaios the word in luke* it also connotes the following righteous, observing divine laws
    1. only Christ truly
      1. approved of or acceptable of God
I believe john uses the word soldier which is just generalizing and not contradictory either.

Back