Contridictions in the Bible

Discussion in 'Biblical Advices' started by Beloved, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Oh, oh, I do!!!!!

John 14:6

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

and

John 6:44
    "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

2. How in the world is Ginger today??

Good question. Lets see what we can do with this.

To "draw" someone is hardly the same as to convert them. Note how the word is used elsewhere, which establishes the context of the meaning:
    6:44 ..............No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    18:10 ............Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.
    21:6 ..............And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
    Acts 16:19.... And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,

The word does not intimate conversion, but a physical pulling in -- with no implications in terms of what the reaction of the "drawee" is. So has Jesus "drawn" all men to him? He certainly will -- on the day of judgment, which is inescapable (cf. v. 31). Being "lifted" up from the earth (the word carries the connotation of exaltation, not merely physical lifting; cf. Matt. 11:23, "And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven...") is Jesus' allusion to his role as judge. John 12:32 alludes to the resurrection of the just and the unjust and judgment before the exalted Son of Man.

3. Actually, I don't see a contradiction in those verses. It is only through Jesus Christ that one can come to the Father, but it is the Father who draws men to Jesus Christ. The Father draws them to Christ, and it is through Christ that they come to the Father (presumably in the sense we call salvation).

4. No contradiction there!

I don't see that as a dilemma. It says not to agree with him/her but to correct him/her.

5. Of course they are not contradictions! But some people seek to misinterpret certain verses that way, because it opens the door to disregard any other part of the Scripture they don't like. And then they can justify there immoral behavior and pretend anyone who disagrees with them is ignorant and mean-spirited.

But truth is not subjective.

chrisstavrous and forgivenWretch say Amen and like this.
  6. I've been a bit under the weather and missed out here but there is no contradiction in the Bible! The only reason the Lost believe that there are contradictions is the lack of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Before I was saved I would make the folks calling themselves Christians Crawfish over the list of contradictions I carried around for, just, that purpose. From that I learned the Church was full of hypocrites because I found exactly one knew and could express the answer to me.

I'm getting old and my MS is messing with my head because I can't remember the address but there is a verse that explains that God uses the simple to make the wise look foolish and a living example of that would be what our Father has done with me in the past. I fell just short of graduating the Eighth Grade and yet I have debated College Proffs who were Bible Teachers and they lost. The only reason they lost was because the Holy Spirit was giving me the words and, particularly the last one, did not even believe in the presence of the Holy Spirit. He was so intently furious that he, being related, I believe, to the owner, had me booted for heresy because I was telling him, each time he asked, that the Holy Spirit was leading me with the words and answers.

The day I was converted and saved, the King James Bible I had bought and thought to be gibberish, suddenly made perfect sense to me. That is just a small sample of the work of the Spirit but it does illustrate His awesomeness and I promise, from that day forward I have found no conflicts in the scriptures.

God bless.

7. When you start to question the bibles completness you open yourself to a volly of attacks and the seeds of doubts plant themselfs in your mind. Pretty soon you start seeing error in the whole bible and you start a slow and painfull downward spiral. How do I know this, because I been through it first hand. And ill say one last thing, to all those anti christians who say the bible does not claim to be perfect or complete.

* Job 36:4
    Be assured that my words are not false; one who has *perfect*knowledge is with you.

And

* Psalm 18:30
    As for God, his way is *perfect*: TheLord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.

8. wow i got an e-mail from this site that I haven't visited in two years or something... and here I am...

I have a question I want to throw out there... A number of people in this thread have talked about needing spiritual eyes to see scripture correctly, or having natural eyes not be good enough to properly relate to scripture. Doesn't that directly go against what scripture says (Faith comes by hearing the word of God)? If we need faith in order to hear scripture, but hearing scripture is what gives us faith, is that not a cache 22?

9. No not at all.​
    When you go to school as a child, you start off afraid and that fear keeps you from learning, at the start.​
    But as you mature, the more you go to school and trust the teacher on how to learn, the more you CAN learn.​
    It is the same with the Bible: a small amount of faith starts the growing, and the more you grow the more you exercise faith....like a muscle.​
    No mystery or contradiction to it.​
    By the way: why return after so long and crank up a dead thread? Why not try an active on or start your own? Lots of these people can't answer you anymore as they are inactive or dormant.​

10. Rusty,

I like you explanation. Definitely makes sense.

Sorry about bringing up an old thread, it was on my notification thingy, and that was the question that I had from the responses of this thread.

Rusty likes this.
  11. I'm glad you understand my analogy.

12. Mark 8:11 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him. 12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

I see Mark 8:12 as saying that Jesus is not going to give them the sign they had asked for. Mark recollection of the event left out what Matthew had testified of as to what the only sign will be given which is to all generations.

13. There are two verses here, one indicating that if a man is saved his whole house will be saved even if they don't believe in Christ.

The other verse John 3:16 says that whom so ever believe in him shell not perish.
    This is what we preach in todays church, that salvation is individual.
    These two verses seem to contradict each other.

Acts 16:31 "
    Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."

John 3:16
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

14. No contradictions there, brother. Acts 16:31, in context with other similar verses, indicates that if the man and his house believe on the Lord Jesus Christ they will be saved. Obviously, the influence of the father and mother will have an impact on others in the home as they hear the Word spoken. Acts 16:31 and John 3:16 are verses revealing God's promise that everyone who believes will be saved, and that for eternity.

15. Yes ---- one must consider context concerning salvation and how it is acquired. In Acts 16:31 believing is the key. The individuals in the "house," or family, will each be saved, because of each one's confession.

16. To Belief a choice and Dok
    I didn't mention Act's 16:31, but one can include that verse also. These verses do not mention that all the members of the household believe in Jesus(salvation) One can't take a verse and turn it around to meet one's need. It clearly says that if the head of the house hold believes then his whole household will be saved. The verses don't say anything about them also beliving.
    Doug

17. Your right I did... There are several other verses in the new testament that also imply that If the head of, house is saved then his family is saved also. No mention of them having to except Christ personally.

18. That would obviously contradict salvation by grace through faith for EACH person who acknowledges Jesus as Savior. I cannot venture over into the atheist forum, accept Jesus, and then trust that everyone there was saved, as well. I cannot become saved and then announce to our church that my entire family has become saved. The scripture must be interpreted and applied contextually (within the context of what the Christian Covenant teaches us about grace through faith). "Salvation by group" was applicable in the Hebrew Bible .... not so since the Cross.

19. The scriptures are correct, know Jesus or not, the House I am in, they are saved.

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

It's one thing to ask Questions not knowing, it's a whole other thing to say any place in the Eternal Word of God contradicts. It's only Pride and Arrogance that would even state the Word of God would contradict and Doug Read it very correctly.

Just because You or I can't understand why it does not contradict is no mistake on God's part, or his Ability to keep His Word to us in a Language we understand.

God Made David Number the troops.
    Satan made David Number the troops.

Both statements are correct.

Read Acts 4................... Read the whole part of Acts 16................ Salvation by Group is still active today "DOK" You got half of it right.

What did they ask Peter in Acts 4?
    How did Peter answer the Question?
    Was the Man at Gate Beautiful ever mentioned to be baptized or have eternal life thought Christ Jesus?
    What did Salvation by Group mean in the OT? Nobody could have eternal life yet at that time with the Lord.

DOK, you can announce your whole family is saved........................... How would they have heard that in the Greek.

Remember Paul and the ship that sank?
    Act 27:31 Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.
    Same Greek Word "Saved" Sozo as used everywhere else. Was Paul talking about Eternal life? Or Sozo?

I Have a Pizza to look after.