Contridictions in the Bible

Discussion in 'Biblical Advices' started by Beloved, Oct 8, 2009.

1. we can have 2 exact statements,but if the circumstances are diffrent,the statement might have a diffrent meaning.

2. How did Judas die?

Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Matthew 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Contradiction?

Matthew reported that Judas hanged himself.
    Luke reported that Judas fell headlong and burst onto the ground.

Matthew recorded the true event, Judas had indeed thrown the silver pieces on the ground, and went and hanged himself.

Sometime after that, Luke recorded that Judas body had fallen headlong and "burst open". (Sorry for the graphics.)

Some may see a contradiction here, however, take a "Miami CSI" or whatever approach to this situation.

What did he hang himself with?
    "Rope?"

Wouldn't you think that he hanged himself over a place where his feet would not touch? ,...Like a cliff?

So.....At this point, Matthew provided a real and accurate representation of what took place.

Did anyone cut his body down? Bury him?. (In fact, odds are good that such an event would have been recorded in scripture if that had actually happened.)

We can summize, with a good degree of assurity, that no one cut him down and buried his body.

So... some time later, Luke reports this... and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Again, I am sorry for being so graphic, but he hanged there in the rain and the blistering son, and while the rope wore weak, his body became bloated there in the sun until eventually the rope broke from the weight.

He fell headlong, and burst open on the rocks below.

No contradiction. Just two different records from two different times and perspectives.

There are no contradictions in scripture, however there are differing perspectives that some may view as contradictions.

3. Hehe, so somebody here likes CSI :smiley10: hehe. But I prefer the original. Anyway...

Very interesting R4TS. Are you familiar w/ Douay-Rheims? Here's their version:

And he indeed hath possessed a field of the reward of iniquity, and being hanged, burst asunder in the midst: and all his bowels gushed out

The Douay-Rheims is a Catholic Version but if we would use that (for that particular topic anyway), the contradiction would be eliminated.

The Douay-Rheims New Testament was first published in 1582 few years before the KJV

4. Absolutely, I couldn't agree more.
    In fact, that is one of the most accurate translations of the Latin Vulgate to date. Very "Word for Word" rather than "Thought for Thought"

Besides, I figure the theologians at Trent had some level of understanding, as well as accountability.

5. Absolutely, I couldn't agree more :smiley10:

6. Hi, Beloved, et al. There are some relatively good books out there which can be very helpful in sorting through those passages of the Bible which seem at odds with other passages. Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties by Gleason Archer is one, and Hard Sayings of the Bible by Kaiser, Davids, Bruce and Brauch is another.

7. If you take the word of God and look at it in the flesh of men you will find errors. God is greater than men and more powerful than humans. Our brains are limited. There is only one way to know what the Lord is saying, and that is to know the Lord Himself. The problem is we think we know the Lord, knowing of the Lord is not knowing the Lord.

Knowing the Lord, scriptures are full of problems if you work it out with your head, you must use the Spirit given you and talk to the Holy Spirit who reminds us of all things Jesus said. This is how He will catch the wise in their own caftyness. There is only one way to God, set by Him so long ago, a clean heart for Him, not us or our relgions. Pure seeking of His Spirit power, pure trust in Him, not a luke warm heart. Jesus said follow my commands, Everything Jesus did was of the Spirit, showing us how to use the Spirit within and what could be done with the Spirit.

The scripture above about the little kids in matty 18:2-16 is simple and its not about kids persay, its about all kids, you and me and the kids that is 88 years old. We are all kids to Him regardless what we think we know.
    Every now and then a kid will seek out God in Spirit not flesh, using the gift he gave us we step forward and find out what He meant, (Seek and you shall find) This kid will step forward in FAITH and speak a new language of a Spiritual kind and many will not hear it because of fear. Fear its of the devil or fear its of an angel of darkness showing itself as an Angel of light. Fear of the unknown... So in our ignorance we step forward and say, there wrong or in error, yet not knowing ourselves if we are the ones in error. We just use our head knowledge of what we know and say its law. This is the meaning Jesus was saying, don't make one of these kids fall in His Spirit. Birth in Spirit is a new babe a new person in Christ, this child learns a new way to hear and a new way to live in Spirit. This babe speaks of the things the Spirit itself has taught him/her and the babe speaks it boldly to others in joy. Its often not recieved by the flesh as it cannot understand the word that is living, its as though its a new language.

Jesus placed a warning in this scripture for the ones that do not know Him, its a simple warning, don't judge another according to what you may know or not know.

Kids are sweet, they neither worry about what they are going to eat or what the are going to wear, they are not blinded by the ways of men, they judge not and play with each other as equils, they love another at the drop of a hat and help if they can. They just hear the mum or dad and know its true without thinking about it. Matty 18:3 we have to be converted like this in Spirit and learn from the Holy Spirit. A message from Jesus not recieved by many.

8. Hi there H4C :smiley90: If I may, studying of ancient greek is nice and very helpful but, er, how shall I say this... it won't cut it.

But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
    2 Cor 3:15

The Hebrews, specifically the scribes knew the language that was used in the old testament. They understood the meaning of the words used; but even if they read it, they didn't understand it.

I'm not saying studying won't help but the bible says:

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth
    2 Tim 3:7

These people are always studying, but sad to say, they won't know the truth. What I'm saying here is this, studying per se, is not the key in understanding the scriptures.

So what's the way then in understanding the scriptures? Well, there lies the rub...

In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes:
    Luke 10:21

God needs to reveal it to us, in order for us to understand his words.

And just an FYI, for the word "babes" the transliterated word that was used was:

nepios meaning:

1. an infant, little child
    2. a minor, not of age
    3. metaph. childish, untaught, unskilled
    So if we would take the preferred meaning it would mean infant but of course, that's not what the Lord Jesus Christ meant in the verse.

9. No need to apologize my friend. This is a forum and it's perfectly understandable for people to disagree. But I'll still answer your post. Just give me moment :smiley90:

10. :smiley90:

But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
    2 Cor 3:15

Those who read Moses, in the time of Christ, they are familiar w/ the language used in the Torah correct? They knew the meaning of the words don't they? Were they able to learn the passages?

Ok. But I quoted this verse to you in Mark remember?

And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea

You only replied Amen. Care to elaborate? How was the term "litte ones" used in Greek? Was this verse different from Matthew?

I'll be waiting for your reply my friend. And w/ regards to my bubble well, I still see it to be strong and steadfast :smiley90:

11. Wow, hey I am not in the same league as you guys when dealing with the written word, greek words and old writtings and things like that. I have a hard time reading the standard version of the bible in plain english.

The only way i can say it is like this to help you see were i am coming from. I am like a man who lost his sight, I had to learn how to see a differant way. Does this mean I can't see ? No I use other sences to see and hear.

i had to do this in Jesus, I could not read was I going to die, was the Lord going to see me dead because i could not read. No the Lord heard my cry and spoke to me, I heard and for the last 20 odd years i have been speaking to Him direct.

I can't quote scripture, I can't do the things others do who have been trained in the way most have. But what i can do is talk to Jesus and hear Him speak back.

You may think "how is this so or how do you hear" I have no idea, it just happens. I don't do anything except talk to Him and he talks back.

My blood brother is a catholic Preist, studied bibles and that stuff for years, yet he tryied to ask me a question on Scripture to trick me. i had no idea what to say or how to answer it, so I did what i do everytime, I asked Jesus and Jesus told me not only what He was trying to do to me but He gave me the answer my brother could not argue. In truth he walked away with red cheeks.

Now here was i guy who studied words, languages and old text books. Yet was no closer to God nor did he understand what he was reading. I who could not read was given the answer just like that !

Its not about our effort, or selfknowledge. Its all about HIS effort and how He teaches us. Like my brother, what did he gain with all his knowledge. Red Cheeks !

If you spend years trying to save your own life, Jesus told me you will lose it. Jesus told me, you have to lose your life in order to save it. Jesus told me that until you take the hand of the rians and hand over the rians to Him, He can do nothing. Jesus Christ is not only my Lord and Master, He is mt Teacher.

Jesus told me, humans use His words as a whip to prove they are right, like kids that argue and fight. Jesus said to me, use my words to live by and live my words let your actions be the light and truth, lead by example. Jesus told me, that in all this time they should have been teachers, but still have no idea on the first things of Spirit and they need to be instructed again as though they were babies.

Jesus said to me, those that are concidered first in the world of wisdom will be last, and the foolish things that get rejected will be the first in his Kingdom.

I understand many don't believe me, that I hear Jesus, thats OK really. It does not change the fact that i do. What I do know is this, Jesus is real and not some silly story of what was many years ago. He is real and He is here now, not coming in later times. He is here now, His Kingdom is here now, he rules it, He is the Boss.

We live in one world, but the world is two. His world and the world the men of flesh see and touch. Both worlds run side by side, one of flesh and one of Spirit. If you want to live in His Kigdom, you have no option, you have to train your heart to the Spirit, you can't do it when your head is in the world and doing things according to human powers. You heart has to learn to see as if you became blind.

Jas virdee likes this.
  12. You know what really cuts it, seek, Knock and ask in Spirit and Truth with one Teacher and one Father then there is no need to look up any translations to understand to be understood.

brother in Christ

rodger

13. I ask for your forgiveness my friend. I mean no offense. I am trying to reply to your post as objective as possible.

I didn't say that. Please sir, that's not what I meant. But if you would just answer the questions, I would be really grateful.

So from Mark 9:39-44 Christ was talking about adults, but on that particular verse, Christ was suddenly talking about to children?