Content or Desiring Beyond Content?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I was watching a commercial of people who have a hard time walking and invested in an elevator in their home on the first and second floor. The person is happy going up and down in their elevator.

I see commercials like this and I know people have to manage their disabilities of walking, hearing, sight, and illnesses. But what sticks out is, despite life setbacks does it seem the material world is exploiting our physical liabilities, and if so how do we distinguish between all of our needs, wanting more and how do we approach God about this?

We wouldn't necessarily invest in an elevator for our home but other devices like a cpap machine for my wife or a second hand vehicle that we just recently purchased cash, all these were presented to the Lord first. In 2024 I learned the door was closed to me in a couple of ministries that I wanted to serve. I wasn't happy about this and am still processing the disappointment inside me.

Please read and meditate on this passage. Philippians 4:10-13, 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. - ESV

Today my wife and I are blessed with all that God has provided and His blessings are abundant for each one of us. But we didn't always practice that. There was a time when we forced our desires/needs for happiness without God in the center and there were consequences. There were also many times we went to the Lord with our needs and He always delivered even when he said no. It is always His best for us.

"We have battled with working so hard so don't we deserve it?" Or, "after all these years we don't have anything to show for it." These can be traps if we are not careful.

It wasn't until the last 7 years we looked around our lives and have grown to be spiritually and materially (according to our needs) content. In many ways God is still growing us to know more about and trust Him in all situations, even when things are not in our favor or controllable.

Please be encouraged with this Psalm, Psalms 37:3-4, 3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. 4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. - ESV

What are your thoughts and Scripture regarding your needs, wanting more and how do you approach God about this?

God bless
you all and thank you.

Bob

Gimee, gimee, gimee...that's our natural, fleshly tendency in what we want to ask...and then, reality sets in when the realization of all that the Lord has done, is doing, and will do.

What I seek more and more from the Lord are His Thoughts and His Ways. The measure of those things that He has given to me is what brings such wondrous peace and tranquility in my life...since I can't speak for others. Verse 11 above has become so much easier, in that it has built up a far greater degree of endurance in suffering, similar to that one word used so very much in his Book of Martyrs...CONSTANCE.

Now, don't look that up on dictionary.com, because that site lacks credible history behind that term. The etymology behind that word, as shown on etymonline.com, which said this:

"obsolete form of constancy, mid-14c., constaunce, "steadfastness, self-possession, composure," from Old French constance "steadfastness, permanence" (14c.), from Latin constantia "firm standing, steadiness, firmness, unchangeableness; firmness of character""

The portrayals of that strength and power provided by the Lord is beyond comprehension.

MM

Please be encouraged with this Psalm, Psalms 37:3-4, 3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. 4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. - ESV
This is a very good topic bobinfaith .
I actually find myself in the place of feeling "off" or not like the others. I think due to my decades of severe depression... I never learned how to hope or dream. My life was constantly on simple survival. The moment I woke up... I started counting the hours before I could go back to sleep. I'm sure there is a name for my "lack of thriving"... but I have found that since my healing.... I am absolutely CONTENT and actually in AWE of the life I have... the amazing blessings I have been given... and I feel like the RICHEST woman in the world.

Yet.. .materialistically... I have nothing... and what I did have... I lost this summer when I moved and had to come back home. I have had to purchase almost everything since my return. I have a new double bed... an airfryer. a brand new keyboard. My Chromebook shut down a few months ago... so I have a new one of those. I don't have a television... or a phone... Electronically... I only own this humble little Chromebook... and I have a radio/cassette player that is at least 20 years old that I left here when I first left. Oddly... when I moved originally... I did leave my apartment partially furnished to bless my landlords.... NOT having a clue that it would be ME returning. HAHA.

I don't know how to drive... I either walk or take the bus. My life is pretty simple... and to many... it would seem that I have absolutely nothing... but oh my goodness.... I have EVERYTHING. So... I really think it's a matter of perspective.

I think it is very easy to mis-interpret the part of scripture that states HE will give us the desires of our hearts. I know of some believers who think this means.... you name it... and claim it.

This is a very good topic bobinfaith .
I actually find myself in the place of feeling "off" or not like the others. I think due to my decades of severe depression... I never learned how to hope or dream. My life was constantly on simple survival. The moment I woke up... I started counting the hours before I could go back to sleep. I'm sure there is a name for my "lack of thriving"... but I have found that since my healing.... I am absolutely CONTENT and actually in AWE of the life I have... the amazing blessings I have been given... and I feel like the RICHEST woman in the world.

Yet.. .materialistically... I have nothing... and what I did have... I lost this summer when I moved and had to come back home. I have had to purchase almost everything since my return. I have a new double bed... an airfryer. a brand new keyboard. My Chromebook shut down a few months ago... so I have a new one of those. I don't have a television... or a phone... Electronically... I only own this humble little Chromebook... and I have a radio/cassette player that is at least 20 years old that I left here when I first left. Oddly... when I moved originally... I did leave my apartment partially furnished to bless my landlords.... NOT having a clue that it would be ME returning. HAHA.

I don't know how to drive... I either walk or take the bus. My life is pretty simple... and to many... it would seem that I have absolutely nothing... but oh my goodness.... I have EVERYTHING. So... I really think it's a matter of perspective.

I think it is very easy to mis-interpret the part of scripture that states HE will give us the desires of our hearts. I know of some believers who think this means.... you name it... and claim it.

Hello In Awe of Him;

When I was 19 years old, second year of college and working part time, I decided to move out and share an apartment with a buddy. My Mom was accepting of my decision though I could have saved the money by living at home. As long as I was in school I lived rent free.

I was so jazzed by my first apartment and bought all my appliances for the kitchen, stuff for the living room like paintings, etc..and my bed was a double size "hide a bed." It was all bought at a Thrift shop. It was very humbling because I couldn't afford new stuff.

I hitch hiked from college to my part time job until I could afford my first car, a 1973 Dodge Monaco that cost me $700.00.

We went to Church and played with the music team but I don't remember praying to God for provisions, things I needed or developing my social skills. Contentment wasn't on my mind as a 19 year old but my family and Bible studies knew my life and prayed for me.

I look back and there were some challenging moments that I couldn't control like when my car got stolen, struggling with my grades and relationship problems with my girlfriend and family. I don't remember how I got past those times but I did and it humbled me.

It wasn't until after getting married and in our early 30s we began to learn the plans God has for us. Still, it took time for that to sink in.

God bless you, sister.

What are your thoughts and Scripture regarding your needs, wanting more and how do you approach God about this?
Sorry about your plans not working out Bob. I remember reading about a pastor who had the same happen to him and later he was glad as things unfolded. We just can’t always see why at the time.

Well I haven’t met “the one” and have a love hate relationship with it. At my age it may not happen, and it does leave a lingering sadness that is a background blur. But at the same time I’m scared…go figure!

So I just find things to do with family that takes the double edged sting away, and trust either His timing, or that it’s not meant to be.( which for all I know could be a blessing) but that doesn’t stop me sometimes feeling lonely. And I’ve realised Jesus just want to spend some more time with me. Like He’s working on me with compassion and healing old wounds.
I do think though, Scriptures about who I am in Christ has began to win me over more than the idea of marriage lately, I don’t think it’s healthy to get into a realationship when your unsatisfied with yourself. And because my thoughts about myself have been rubbish. The devil will always find ways to devalue me when things don’t go to plan, or I may attract someone else who agrees with my rubbish thoughts about myself!

So my fave scripture right now is John 10:10
John 10;10 NASB The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came so that they would have life, and have it abundantly.

God bless you bob and hazel.

Sorry about your plans not working out Bob. I remember reading about a pastor who had the same happen to him and later he was glad as things unfolded. We just can’t always see why at the time. Well I haven’t met “the one” and have a love hate relationship with it. At my age it may not happen, and it does leave a lingering sadness that is a background blur. But at the same time I’m scared…go figure! So my fave scripture right now is John 10:10
NASB The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came so that they would have life, and have it abundantly.

Hello Via;

Thank you for your kind words. The disappointment is on me for now because I won't allow the plans to take the place of every good contentment from God that is happening in our lives. I'm getting past it slowly but surely.

I don't know what will happen with your future but I do know it's when you least expect it. Keep your heart open to whatever the Lord brings your way and take each day as another miracle and opportunity to thank God for all He has blessed you with and will continue to provide.

God bless you always, sister.

its in our nature needs wanting more. does it always work out that way? dont i wish i had a job that last year this time was not much of a job low hours low pay. robbing peter to pay paul so to speak. praying that things would pick up . getting stuck in a dept that was not dept for me. having a bad attitude towards it. instead of the i can do all things through Christ which strengthens me . knowing his grace was sufficient.. so i asked every morning and all through the day for his Grace to get me through it. ( He did just not the way i wanted }

from opening a church from scratch trying to place the right people in the right place. to trying to be the Church instead of just being a church. my thoughts its tough and we have to be tough wait on the Lord.. our problem is we cant see the the picture God is painting were just simply posing . my other thoughts if everyone will be truthful NO body fully understands

the church that God allowed me to open in the middle of covid.. were holding our own small gains treasury finances is ok for a small group . number up and down. focusing on preaching what He wants. we have preached some series back to back in way. i have not preached a lady in our Church told another lady that is taking care of her 93 year old mom. Bro Jerry has been getting louder { i will l ask her what her point is sunday lol} our services are Quality not quantity. we have had some lost come in that just adds more fuel for the preaching.

last sunday night we had a joint service it was good (quality)

HE will give us the desires of our hearts. I know of some believers who think this means.... you name it... and claim it.

not sure we fully understand this scripture and yes the name it claim it crowd . makes it sound like a rose garden . in closing a rose garden in pretty but dont forget the pricks /thorns .

in our disappointment he gives us Grace . that's what he gave paul after asking 3 times to remove his thorn in the flesh .which imo was all the headaches heart aches he had from all the opposition of his ministry . David encouraged himself in the Lord.. so yes i can relate

from opening a church from scratch trying to place the right people in the right place. to trying to be the Church instead of just being a church. my thoughts its tough and we have to be tough wait on the Lord.. our problem is we cant see the the picture God is painting were just simply posing . my other thoughts if everyone will be truthful NO body fully understands
I love this.... LOVE LOVE LOVE this comment.

forgiven61 ... I am so blessed to understand what you have stated. I absolutely know that I am weak... but more importantly...
I am intimately acquainted with the GOD of the UNIVERSE.... and HE is VERY STRONG!!! and....... AND.... I am one of His kids.... and... AND... HE LOVES me..... and...... AND..... HAHA.

Back