Confusion about the Book of Revelation

Folks, it can be said that nobody has a total understanding of Revelation, however, we today have a FAR greater understanding of the visions and 'revelations' within that book than in ages past, AND we now have more in-depth understanding about hos it ties in with the books from other prophets and apostles.

So, there really is no need to remain confused about that book and its support throughout the Bible that gives even more understanding and insights into the mysteries once locked away in its seemingly cryptic imagery and phraseology.

With the help of Dr. John Barnett, and his multiple series on the Book of Revelation, I think we can unpack it enough to give some of you a degree of excitement for wanting to read more, learn more, and delve into what many see as too confusing, and therefore fearing to dare traverse its pages and depths. I love that book, and all other books of the Bible as they have become unpacked for better understanding.

If there is a desire for this, and you want to see more of what has eluded your understanding, I will be glad to help you to at least develop the same appetite I have for plumbing the depths of that massive work that ties together other books of the Bible like not seen before this age of ours in these last days. Did you know that about 24% of the Old Testament speaks of the end of days?

Start with Revelation 1:1, and just let that sink in as you all chime in on your desire to launch out into this.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified [it] by his angel unto his servant John:

See? It's all about Christ Jesus...

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

I'm in!
When I first started reading the Bible I didn't like Revelation because the visions were negative to me and I overlooked the full meaning. I also didn't like Paul's letters because I felt he was arrogant. How silly!

I'll always be a student of God's Word and with help from cross reference texts like Dr. John Barnett as well as good Bible studies can only benefit the disciple in their growth of Biblical knowledge and application.

Anyone else's thoughts?

I love Revelation. I don't feel confused by it though...I just think people can interpret it in different ways.
It's always been about Jesus for me.

A lot of Revelation references other scripture in the Bible so, if you haven't read those first you might not get those references. There is a reason why Revelation is the LAST book of the Bible and not the first lol.

Hello Musicmaster;

I'm in!
When I first started reading the Bible I didn't like Revelation because the visions were negative to me and I overlooked the full meaning. I also didn't like Paul's letters because I felt he was arrogant. How silly!

I'll always be a student of God's Word and with help from cross reference texts like Dr. John Barnett as well as good Bible studies can only benefit the disciple in their growth of Biblical knowledge and application.

Anyone else's thoughts?
One must have a goof OT background to really understand it, especially know Daniel!

Sounds like you guys are pretty much up on study of Christ's Book of Revelation. Good thing.

The order of the Seals in Revelation 6 is actually the order of the Signs Lord Jesus gave in His Olivet discourse in Matthew 24 and Mark 13. (You guys will hear me point to Christ's Olivet discourse a lot, because it is about Signs leading up to Christ's future coming.)

On an encouraging note, I'd like to start with this video from Jerin. He's a great man of God I have grown to love and admire.

To avoid arguing in favor of any one of the viewpoints on that event, one of the main problems is that the mid folks generally place that event in Revelation 11, and yet Revelation 7 refers to the period as the "Great Tribulation, which is before the opening of the seventh seal. One can't have it both ways.

Does that help?

In other words, any one of the viewpoints creates some question or inconsistency somewhere, with one in particular having far less tendency to create questions, and much less in the creation of inconsistencies.

The post view is even worse when one looks at the grave questions it creates, and the glaring inconsistencies.

The ten virgins were not in distress while awaiting the Groom. They actually slept peacefully, which seems to indicate that the period of their waiting was not in the midst of horrific times and tumult. There is certainly persecutions, some more severe than others all throughout, but the comparison of the times before and during the tribulation period is a striking comparison when we consider what Jesus said about that period (and not just the second half), in that there was never a time before nor to that time that can be compared.

MM

What questions, if any, does anyone have about Revelation?
To avoid arguing in favor of any one of the viewpoints on that event, one of the main problems is that the mid folks generally place that event in Revelation 11, and yet Revelation 7 refers to the period as the "Great Tribulation, which is before the opening of the seventh seal. One can't have it both ways. Does that help? In other words, any one of the viewpoints creates some question or inconsistency somewhere, with one in particular having far less tendency to create questions, and much less in the creation of inconsistencies. The post view is even worse when one looks at the grave questions it creates, and the glaring inconsistencies. The ten virgins were not in distress while awaiting the Groom. They actually slept peacefully, which seems to indicate that the period of their waiting was not in the midst of horrific times and tumult. There is certainly persecutions, some more severe than others all throughout, but the comparison of the times before and during the tribulation period is a striking comparison when we consider what Jesus said about that period (and not just the second half), in that there was never a time before nor to that time that can be compared.
MM

Hello Musicmaster;

I have a couple of questions and at the end of my post I'll explain why. There is alot to teach in the study of Revelation 7 and 11 and throughout Revelation.

For example, in chapter seven, 144,000 from each tribe represents completeness, were sealed, and all will be brought to eternal life with God. Chapter seven also emphasizes great worship to God. But in other religions, (one in particular,) the worship gets overlooked and that only 144,000 will be saved. What?!? How did they arrive at that?

In chapter eleven there are alot of numbers representing days and months leading to terrible events. Are the numbers symbolic or literal?
As chapter eleven also points to terrible events will take place but the seven trumpets will indicate the coming of the King.

My question is, how do we teach Revelation, and then apply it to the disciples in our daily walk and witness to others? My reason for asking is in the study of Revelation we end up shuddering and overlooking the hope and encouragement of the coming of Christ.

Your thoughts?

God bless you, brother.

Hello Musicmaster;

I have a couple of questions and at the end of my post I'll explain why. There is alot to teach in the study of Revelation 7 and 11 and throughout Revelation.

For example, in chapter seven, 144,000 from each tribe represents completeness, were sealed, and all will be brought to eternal life with God. Chapter seven also emphasizes great worship to God. But in other religions, (one in particular,) the worship gets overlooked and that only 144,000 will be saved. What?!? How did they arrive at that?

In chapter eleven there are alot of numbers representing days and months leading to terrible events. Are the numbers symbolic or literal?
As chapter eleven also points to terrible events will take place but the seven trumpets will indicate the coming of the King.

My question is, how do we teach Revelation, and then apply it to the disciples in our daily walk and witness to others? My reason for asking is in the study of Revelation we end up shuddering and overlooking the hope and encouragement of the coming of Christ.

Your thoughts?

God bless you, brother.

Greetings, brother.

Revelation, by itself, would not be sufficient to give to us the deeper understanding that is necessary to unravel some or most of its mysteries. Daniel, Zechariah, Esther, Job, Ezra, Ezekiel, Isaiah, Thessalonians, Matthew, Mark and Luke...etc., all play their roles in bringing to us the pieces of the puzzle that provide for us a more complete image of the end times.

As to applying it to daily witness, we point to Revelation for what it is:

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified [it] by his angel unto his servant John:

Therein is the key...it's a revelation of Christ Jesus, and is therefore a magnificent tool for witnessing. You see, the Tribulation period serves two main purposes:

1) This is the time the Lord deals with Israel and the Jews one last time, leading them to the realization of His Messiahship, and
2) to give the unbelieving world a taste, just a teste, mind you, of the coming Hell to which the masses are headed.

Those who hear the latter message about Revelation, in the Tribulation period, will understand more clearly that what they had heard was and is true. These are the power of Christ to bring forth the following, which is a reference to a great multitude in Heaven that no man could number who came FROM the Tribulation period as martyrs and those who died otherwise:

Revelation 7:13-17

13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?
14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

I hope this helps.

MM

Back