Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Supper.

Do you take communion away from regular Church?

• Never

• Only occasionally

• Often but only when home alone

• Often when visiting the sick

• Sometimes at home Bible study group meetings

Results are only viewable after voting.
'Wining and dining'
There is a proverb that goes as a man thinks in his heart so is he, warning about eating rich foods with people that have agendas.

Proverbs chapter 23. Look it up.
It often gets misquoted and used to mean something else in prosperity gospel churches.

That is the topic. Rich food...alcohol. Beware of people trying to ply you with alcohol. Some ppl have no compunction about that and WANT to get their guests drunk. And get very upset if you refuse to drink alcohol with them.

Eat thou not the bread of him that have an evil eye, neither desire his dainty meats; for as a man thinketh in his heart so is he: eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.

Proverbs 23: 6-8

Alcohol causes vomiting..esp you drink too much.
The very first time I tried it, ugh, so unpleasant.
Yes it did make me spew up. Never again.

I would never go to any church that served alcohol, for the lords supper. No way. For some ppl, think its ok, but they wanna justify it? Dont think they can, esp when alcoholism such a big problem. Many ppl in denial about that.

Alcohol causes vomiting..esp you drink too much.
The very first time I tried it, ugh, so unpleasant.
Yes it did make me spew up. Never again.
For some people milk causes vomiting...esp you drink too much. Perhaps it should be banned also.
Jesus drank wine!

I would never go to any church that served alcohol, for the lords supper. No way. For some ppl, think its ok, but they wanna justify it? Dont think they can, esp when alcoholism such a big problem. Many ppl in denial about that.
Lanolin, you are making a law of spiritual bondage because some people have an alcohol problem. Would it not be better to deal with the alcoholism in the individual rather than put the whole body of Christ into bondage.
It is abundantly clear that Jesus was only talking about real alcoholic wine when he used it as an analogy for his blood, so we have no need to justify it. Rather you need to justify your position for
A) refusing fellowship with godly brothers and sisters who drink wine at communion,
B) for censuring alcohol because you don't like it
C) censuring it because a limited few can't cope with it.

I am not in denial about alcoholism, neither am I in denial about gluttony and obesity in the west. Therefore perhaps we should ban communion bread or wafers, celebratory meals, etc.

No, just alcoholic wine.
Sorry. Bread is ok...but then..think about it, wonder bread is not.
Jesus clearly made new wine...not the old, stale, fermented stuff.
You can keep your old, rotten wine. I prefer the new. Yes, surprise surpise you CAN make non alcoholic wine. Google it.

Hmm..non alcoholic wine?? Maybe just a marketing ploy. What is sooo wrong with grape juice...? It is the original fruit of the vine! You mean, i have to wait several years for the wine to ferment before i drink it...? You think Jesus turned water into fermented wine? Lol.you know it takes several years for that wine to develop...his miracle at the wedding happened that day!!

They were probably so surprised theyd never had fresh wine before.

Really, I am shocked at your spurious arguments to keep drinking something that even little sip could harm a baby.

Really, I am shocked at your spurious arguments to keep drinking something that even little sip could harm a baby.

Why are you so legalistic about this? Why so "shocked"? No one is talking about drinking. The discussion is about communion.

Jesus drank wine, and turned water into excellent wine.

Sorry Lanolin, but please stop and think a little before condemning alcohol, as you are completely out of touch with biblical history. You are letting personal prejudice dictate your belief system.

In its crudest terms, it is impossible to avoid making wine with grapes because the sugar automatically turns into alcohol plus CO2 gas, without any help from man. This can happen uncontrolled whilst on the vine, or in a heap of fallen fruit, or in the fruit bowl.
This is caused by the natural yeast bloom you can see on grape skins, plus the high percentage of sugar in grapes which makes it so wonderful for wine production.
These days we can buy grape juice, but that is a very recent possibility made possible by the addition of chemicals that kill the natural yeast, or by sterilisation processes.

God promised Israel vineyards when to entered the land. If such an idea was offensive to the spirit, such a promise is nonsense. The abundant wine produced would be for trade, but also as a part of their staple diet because water was often far too dangerously polluted to drink. Alcohol destroys germs.
Given the massive size of the grape harvest, unless there was a way to keep the fruit of the vine, the majority would just rot before the fruit could ever be eaten. The sugar content prevents any hope of keeping it as fresh fruit, and it could never be shipped as grapes or juice because it would immediately ferment. Turning it into alcohol was the most obvious solution for excellent long term preservation.
To deny this, is to deny what Jesus was teaching in the parable of the wineskins.
Matt9v17"Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wineskins burst, and the wine pours out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."
After treading out the grapes, the fresh juice is put into wine skins and tied off.
Immediately, the juice starts to ferment because of the natural yeast. That fermentation makes alcohol and CO2 gas. The gas inflates the skin to bursting. If an old skin is used for making the new wine, exactly as Jesus said, the inflexible skin would burst and the wine be all lost.
This parable makes absolute nonsense if it is not alcohol that is being produced. The idea that it was mere grape juice is an impossibility, and total nonsense.

New wine vs old.
I prefer new wine..which is fresh grapes, not fermented.
Anglican serve port as their wine in communion services and I cant handle it, its very sour to me and got alcohol in it. Gives me a headache. I dont know what catholics serve, but if it is alcohol I cannot partake.
Actually, not only do some Anglican churches serve port wine, but after or rather since it has been consecrated, any left over after the service is generally consumed by the minister:rolleyes: makes one wonder...
Oh and Lanolin, I nearly forgot...
I had a meal recently with some Asians, and just as you shared with us, they can't drink alcohol. One just goes silly rather quickly, the other breaks out in a redness of the face and is sickly for days.
I had never encountered this before. (y)

This thread at the moment appears to linger around alcohol and wine; there are other important factors in the communion.
Indeed there are, I wonder how many Churches provide gluten free bread or wafers. I've only had a wafer once, mostly it is diced bread.

Reactions: /
Back