Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Supper.

Do you take communion away from regular Church?

• Never

• Only occasionally

• Often but only when home alone

• Often when visiting the sick

• Sometimes at home Bible study group meetings

Results are only viewable after voting.
Um..im born again so I dont find it offensive in both cases those believers are only doing cos they get taught that way and grew up in those churches.
I dont use the word 'eucharist' either just say the Lords Supper.

Not everyone grows up in those churches but accepts them. There are a lot of converts in this forum. I myself have been a Protestant longer than I've been a Catholic.

Everyone is a convert, if they are born again.
It doesn't matter what name church you grew up in. Nobody sees the kingdom unless they are born again.

I dont use the word 'eucharist' either just say the Lords Supper.
The reverent remembrance of Jesus' death for our sin is not about a word.
The word Eucharist is derived directly from Greek and simply means 'thanksgiving.'
It is used several times in the New Testament.
Whether we talk about 'Communion', or the 'Lord's Table/Supper' or the 'Eucharist' we are talking about giving thanks (εὐχαριστία) for what Christ Jesus did for us on the cross.
Again let me stress that the reverent remembrance of Jesus' death for our sin is not about a word.
So when you say "The Lord's Supper" and I say "Communion" and a RC says "the Eucharist", we are all talking about giving thanks for the what Jesus accomplished on the cross for us. We all are proclaiming the death of Christ till He returns.
1Co 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Last edited:
The reverent remembrance of Jesus' death for our sin is not about a word.
The word Eucharist is derived directly from Greek and simply means 'thanksgiving.'
It is used several times in the New Testament.
Whether we talk about 'Communion', or the 'Lord's Table/Supper' or the 'Eucharist' we are talking about giving thanks (εὐχαριστία) for what Christ Jesus did for us on the cross.
Again let me stress that the reverent remembrance of Jesus' death for our sin is not about a word.
So when you say "The Lord's Supper" and I say "Communion" and a RC says "the Eucharist", we are all talking about giving thanks for the what Jesus accomplished on the cross for us. We all are proclaiming the death of Christ till He returns.
1Co 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Beautifully put.

Ok..i now know they all mean the same but i prefer to say the Lords Supper as thats in the bible. I cant find the word eucharist anywhere, my bible is in english not greek. I am not familiar with greek so dont really know what many christians mean when they say eucharist.
I didnt mean to say its the wrong word it just easier to say Lords Supper. At least thats clear in plain english to everyone, even unbelievers, what it actually is.

If you can show me whee in the bible eucharist is that would help.
I mean..thanksgiving day is celebrated in america but I never heard of people say its eucharist.

We generally use the term communion. It is about remembering what Christ Jesus done for us. By His blood we are forgiven and purchased, by His stripes we are healed. We take communion at church along with others in the body of Christ, and also at home, as we believe Christ's command to remember Him is not given to a priest or minister alone, but every person. After all, who is priest in your house? It is every one of you. So serve the sacraments to your family. It is good.

Ok..i now know they all mean the same but i prefer to say the Lords Supper as thats in the bible. I cant find the word eucharist anywhere, my bible is in english not greek. I am not familiar with greek so dont really know what many christians mean when they say eucharist.
I didnt mean to say its the wrong word it just easier to say Lords Supper. At least thats clear in plain english to everyone, even unbelievers, what it actually is.

If you can show me whee in the bible eucharist is that would help.
I mean..thanksgiving day is celebrated in america but I never heard of people say its eucharist.

I did a bit more research for you about where these terms came from.
In Mark 14:23 in the original Greek (which I can only understand a very little bit since I speak some Greek--and this is more of an ancient form than I know), it says "καὶ λαβὼν ποτήριον εὐχαριστήσας ἔδωκεν αὐτοῖς, καὶ ἔπιον ἐξ αὐτοῦ πάντες."

The word "εὐχαριστήσας" in transliteration is is eucharisteó -- Eucharist. It literally means "I give thanks" or "give thanks."

It is an act taking place at the Lord's Supper, and is done in Communion with other Christians, everyone is Giving Thanks. This is why each title for this (though none of them appear in the English translation), align with what took place at that table.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oh ok but you could just call it thanksgiving instead of eucharist, I suppose the greek orthodox called it that as in their language so they kept the name. But its kinda confusing.

Do other churches give greek names to everything else, like is baptism something else in greek?

I have heard the holy spirit is called the paraclete. Cant think of much else. Oh..no agape is a greek word used by many christians cos they dont want to say charity. And of course christ meaning Messiah.

Oh ok but you could just call it thanksgiving instead of eucharist, I suppose the greek orthodox called it that as in their language so they kept the name. But its kinda confusing.

Do other churches give greek names to everything else, like is baptism something else in greek?

One could, but for many churches, they recognize the Greek words as official titles. For instance, Baptism is in Greek βαπτίζω which translates to Baptizo. πρεσβύτερος is Presbyter meaning elder -- etc. Even the name of Christ in Greek is Χριστός, translating to Christós.

One of the first words I learned in Greek was ἀπόστολος which is Apostolos. It's easy to figure out what this word is.

A lot of words that are used commonly in Christian lingo today derive from original Greek origins. It's not even that surprising considering that so much of the English language has Greek origins.

So when we call it the Eucharist, we are in fact calling it "Thanksgiving," though we're using traditional language when doing this and referring to a specific thing for which we are giving thanks.

Well, it would be hard to explain to new christians if you constantly using words in a language they unfamiliar with. Which is prolly why we dont have church services in latin anymore.

Well, it would be hard to explain to new christians if you constantly using words in a language they unfamiliar with. Which is prolly why we dont have church services in latin anymore.

I go to church services in Latin actually ;)

I don't think it would be hard to explain to a new Christian. Many new Christians learn within a single day. But I think the most interesting part is we often use these Greek words not realizing it. They've become standard lingo for us.

Most new Christians adapt to new terminology as they press on in their faith.

Actually, it reminds me of a funny little video. Don't take this one too seriously because it was made in jest.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong Lysander..I'm of the thinking that Latin is optional..the priests choice?

Haha, it is optional. It's not just the priest's choice, it's also the congregant's choice. Here's out it works...

Each area is a diocese. A diocese has a leadership of (a) bishop(s), and each diocese contains (usually) multiple parishes. Each parish has a few or more priests -- one of them is often serving as head pastor.

In the past, it was standard that the liturgy was performed in Latin. It wasn't until recent years that the standard was that the liturgy was performed using the vernacular. However, if a priest and his congregants want to reserve a time where the liturgy is performed as a Tridentine Mass (the traditional Latin mass), the bishop cannot interfere with the parish (even though some have tried -- there are tons of amazingly Godly bishops, but I'm also extremely disappointed by others and have no problem calling them out).

A lot of parishes do not perform the Latin Mass. The parish I went to previously had masses in Spanish, English, Vietnamese, and Creole, but not in Latin. The Latin Mass CAN be an exhausting experience, mostly if you aren't used to it, so many people choose to stick to their own language for mass.

Many Liberal Catholics (which ought to be an Oxymoron) despise the Latin Mass because they think it is too divisive and believe Vatican II put an end to it. The other extreme could be the Sedevacantist Catholics who believe Mass in the vernacular is evil and also think Vatican II put an end to the Latin Mass, so they despise Vatican II. Both are wrong since Vatican II never put an end to it, the mass in the vernacular isn't evil at all, nor is the Latin Mass anymore divisive than any other form of mass since the same thing is being celebrated -- though one is done in a more traditional manner.

So if a priest wants to perform the mass in Latin, he can reserve a time slot for it. And if a congregant wants to choose which mass he wants to go to, he can do that too. No Catholic is better than the other simply because he does or doesn't go to the Latin Mass. At either mass, you still receive God's graces and have the same ability to offer the just as much worship to Him.

Any Catholic who claims he is better just because He goes to Latin mass is probably going for the wrong reasons and may just be showing off.

Last edited:
It is quite interesting. For some interesting reason, here in South Africa, most Christians I frequent with fall back to Hebrew term, like for Father God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. I incidentally know Christ is Christos in Greek, but that is it.
I like to address Father God as YHVH and Jesus as Yeshua(also Yahshua and Joshua in some circles).
Some people for some reason feel intimidated by that, so it is not always welcome.

1. Never
  2. Only occasionally
  3. Often but only when home alone
  4. Often when visiting the sick
  5. Sometimes at home Bible study group meetings
Just curious why the next question was not included.
6. Regularly at home or with friends.

Incidentally, I took communion with rice cake and sweet cold tea, high and hidden away in the mountains of Nepal. Highly illegal!
I believe that the most important aspect is what you are declaring, not the means. In tropical areas, western bread, or even unleavened bread is not available, neither is wine. Thus the rice cake and tea, both staple foods just like bread and wine are for the rest of us.
What matters is that we proclaim the Lord's death, again and again.

1. Never
  2. Only occasionally
  3. Often but only when home alone
  4. Often when visiting the sick
  5. Sometimes at home Bible study group meetings
Just curious why the next question was not included.
6. Regularly at home or with friends.

Incidentally, I took communion with rice cake and sweet cold tea, high and hidden away in the mountains of Nepal. Highly illegal!
I believe that the most important aspect is what you are declaring, not the means. In tropical areas, western bread, or even unleavened bread is not available, neither is wine. Thus the rice cake and tea, both staple foods just like bread and wine are for the rest of us.
What matters is that we proclaim the Lord's death, again and again.
No particular reason, the invitation to discuss as we are doing was in there somewhere though.

I agree the important thing is proclaiming our Lord's death and remembering why he died.
By rice cake, do you mean those thickish things made with sort of compressed rice, (like compacted rice bubbles) or cakes made from rice flour?

It is quite interesting. For some interesting reason, here in South Africa, most Christians I frequent with fall back to Hebrew term, like for Father God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. I incidentally know Christ is Christos in Greek, but that is it.
I like to address Father God as YHVH and Jesus as Yeshua(also Yahshua and Joshua in some circles).
Some people for some reason feel intimidated by that, so it is not always welcome.
I don't see why anyone would be intimidated, annoyed yes, I can see that it could be taken as a statement of " I'm more holy than you", or "we're more holy than them". I wonder what Jesus' real name is..I expect we will find out one day.:)

His name translates as salvation.

In chinese they call him Yesu. I think in persian its Isa.
Hebrew its Yeshua.

Christ means anointed one.
I prefer plain english not christianese.

Well, I dont know, I think in some places the Lords supper can be very fancy affair with gold cups and a big procession and ritual..but God knows I would be too intimidated to even go to those kinds of churches. Anyway, after I just about passed out after going to that anglican church I know it wasnt the right one for me.

Back