Columbus Bar Kicks Out Patron For Wearing Cross Necklace

A patron is a customer, not an employee….

I think it is more on protecting customers….a precaution: rival gangs can be out for revenge, and we cannot predict their actions….

Temporary policy, not a long-standing policy…

Unless, the man was obviously a cleric in cassock, wearing a cross, and they asked the cross necklace to tucked it in… that will be different story…

…. bars have french fries and burgers as well : )

Oh, I got confused because in my native language patron means something similar to foreman. On the other hand, since when are crosses a criminal symbol? I wouldn't hide my cross either and I would complaint if I am kicked out because of it.

Oh, I got confused because in my native language patron means something similar to foreman. On the other hand, since when are crosses a criminal symbol? I wouldn't hide my cross either and I would complaint if I am kicked out because of it.

It looks like not a symbol used by gangs, most likely the police, the manager of the store, all of them will agree it does not look like one…
But the precaution I think is: the gangs may mistake it for one…

Although I would agree that they took it too far as a policy “tuck or leave”..... they may just warned him of the risk instead….

But, the point am talking about is: imo, that incident is not a persecution.

I do not know if that is the issue you intended but it is certainly one that I would say YES to.
His being discriminated against for wearing a cross, the discrimination masked as either the cross is said to be a gang symbol, or the bar has a rule against ostentatious displays of jewelery, in order to prosecute the discrimination, and with a cop in tow, isn't the issue?

For myself, I have no clue what an honest answer might be. I have been in bars twice -- once, as a teen, for change for the bus and the second time when were traveling, and the pastor-driver said there was nothing wrong with eating in the bar, and the group did. I have, then, no real bar experience.

But these are my questions -- and I ask only because I don't know the answers nor do I have any argument:
  1. What if a believer goes into a bar specifically in order to talk about the L-rd? Is that acceptable?
  2. What if a believer goes into a bar just to eat?
  3. What is the difference between a restaurant that serves alcohol and a bar that serves food?
  4. What if a believer like me, who is very inexperienced and probably very ignorant, goes into a bar and has no idea what the answer is to #3?
  5. What do we do with those like me who say, "The Bible does not say not to drink wine; it says not to get drunk"?

• I have no problem being with people while they are using alcohol, as long as I don't have to deal with drunks.
  • I have alcoholism in my family, so even if I could handle the taste of alcohol (I hate the taste of all of it), I should probably, for my own safety, leave it alone. However, I have tasted champagne, beer, wine, rum, vodka, etc. Just could not stand it.

1. That in my opinion is just an excuse that one uses when they are seen in a BAR drinking.

2. A BAR in what I am referring to is an establishment that exists to serve booze, Alcohol. Alcohol is a drug and when used it makes one drunk. Then when drunk, that person tends to drive his car into vans filled with children and some baby dies.

3. The difference is that a restaurant is in business to serve food. You can choose not to drink when in a restaurant.

4. Common sense and the Holy Spirit will direct you.

5. See # 4.

You will always have problems with people who drink to excess. You will deal with them as I do face to face and encourage them to STOP or you will do it from a hospital bed when one of them has crashed into you.

I tell you all this and to some it sounds harsh and judgmental and to you that believe that may I say to you that you are 100% correct and I make no apology for it.

When you have buried as many innocent mothers, children and fathers simply because a person drank alcohol, got drunk and killed them with a car, then you may very well say that I am an old fashioned fuddy duddy because that is exactly what I am!

His being discriminated against for wearing a cross, the discrimination masked as either the cross is said to be a gang symbol, or the bar has a rule against ostentatious displays of jewelery, in order to prosecute the discrimination, and with a cop in tow, isn't the issue?

I understood from your very first post.

IMHPO, a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ has no business being in a bar drinking alcohol, neckless, earring or nose plug not withstanding.

He placed himself in a place he should never have been.

1. That in my opinion is just an excuse that one uses when they are seen in a BAR drinking.

2. A BAR in what I am referring to is an establishment that exists to serve booze, Alcohol. Alcohol is a drug and when used it makes one drunk. Then when drunk, that person tends to drive his car into vans filled with children and some baby dies.

3. The difference is that a restaurant is in business to serve food. You can choose not to drink when in a restaurant.

5. See # 4.

You will always have problems with people who drink to excess. You will deal with them as I do face to face and encourage them to STOP or you will do it from a hospital bed when one of them has crashed into you.

I tell you all this and to some it sounds harsh and judgmental and to you that believe that may I say to you that you are 100% correct and I make no apology for it.

When you have buried as many innocent mothers, children and fathers simply because a person drank alcohol, got drunk and killed them with a car, then you may very well say that I am an old fashioned fuddy duddy because that is exactly what I am!
Okay. Thank you!

And as I sit here thinking about it, when my son was a boy, having been driving only up to a couple years, he absolutely collected drunk drivers. He got hit all the time and was always the innocent, not-drinking party. One time, he and his then-fiancee were nearly killed when he was rear ended at a stop light on a city street and shoved under a large pickup. The investigator told me the drunks were going @ 90 mph on a city street!

5. See # 4.

1. Maybe they have the best margaritas in town or something? I love margaritas. And Long Island Teas. Speaking of which, most restaurants don't make very good Long Island Teas. Bars make them really well though. That's reason enough for me to go into a bar and have a seat.

2. Taking a sip of alcohol doesn't make one drunk, so your point is invalid. Just because most Americans are pigs and don't know how to stop eating, drinking, or anything else, doesn't mean that everyone should stop doing everything. I like having a drink on occasion. It's probably been two years since I've been drunk, and that was only once, and I've sat down with wine coolers or wine or some other alcoholic beverage many times since then.

3. Okay.

4. And sometimes I get led to a bottle of wine that's on sale. It's really a blessing.

5. Okay.

For myself, I have no clue what an honest answer might be. I have been in bars twice -- once, as a teen, for change for the bus and the second time when were traveling, and the pastor-driver said there was nothing wrong with eating in the bar, and the group did. I have, then, no real bar experience.

But these are my questions -- and I ask only because I don't know the answers nor do I have any argument:
  1. What if a believer goes into a bar specifically in order to talk about the L-rd? Is that acceptable?
  2. What if a believer goes into a bar just to eat?
  3. What is the difference between a restaurant that serves alcohol and a bar that serves food?
  4. What if a believer like me, who is very inexperienced and probably very ignorant, goes into a bar and has no idea what the answer is to #3?
  5. What do we do with those like me who say, "The Bible does not say not to drink wine; it says not to get drunk"?

• I have no problem being with people while they are using alcohol, as long as I don't have to deal with drunks.
  • I have alcoholism in my family, so even if I could handle the taste of alcohol (I hate the taste of all of it), I should probably, for my own safety, leave it alone. However, I have tasted champagne, beer, wine, rum, vodka, etc. Just could not stand it.
Once again Jesus went out beside the lake. A large crowd came to him,and he began to teach them. As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.

While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?

On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.

Back