1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Clothing Sin

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Polly, Dec 29, 2013.

Can we wear what we want?

1. Yes, if you don't ty to make people lust or fantasize about you.

3 vote(s)
  2. No, because people will still lust or fantasize about you if you wear revealing clothes.

6 vote(s)
  1. Okay, so, many Christians tell me that it is okay to wear miniskirts if I want to look like an anime character and not make males lust or fantasize about me, but then, many Christians say that since males have a stronger drive, they will lust or fantasize about me if they see half of my thighs when I wear miniskirts, even though I only want to look like an anime character and not make males lust or fantasize about me.

I am confused. Can I still wear whatever I want if I don't try to make males lust or fantasize about me, or not? Because I wear miniskirts only because I want to look like an anime character. I also wear colorful, grey, or dark t-shirts, tank tops, and tube tops, and they usually have a nice picture or text.

I hope this is an acceptable topic. I am just asking.
  2. #2 ixoye_8, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    hi Polly .. that's a good question ..
    you have two principles to weigh ..
    1 if you entice someone to sin, that is sin ..
    2 under the liberty of the new covenant things not explicitly stated as sin is a matter of our conscious ..

America is a fairly worldly place .. (we do want to be in the world but not of it) ..
    so most guys don't go bananas over a little leg, then say 100 years ago .. if they do, then it is something they need to address .. but if you go to the upper extreme, then you do not care if you wound someones conscious and make them sin by lusting, hence the greater sin is yours ..

my advice is as a Christian, to remember you are an ambassador for Christ, and as such represent Him .. Paul said it like this .. in all things use moderation .. so look into your heart and you will find your answer ..

my personal opinion is I go to the beach and do not gawk .. so what makes guys gawk is the one that stands out by being more extreme then those around them ..
    KingJ likes this.
  3. You want to look like a what? How old are you? I use to dress up as Iron Man when I was about 9 and pretend to chase bad guys, so I can relate if your young. I assume you are not a teenager yet?

There is a reason girls portrayed in Anime wear super short skirts, and why women if full battle gear in movies have a skimpy tank top, no breast protection, and no pants but some thong. It's all about selling sex, and if your a believer, then you need to ask yourself why you would dress up as something that is patterned after the World?

Last, no matter what you wear, your not responsible for what guys think. Every male I know, even saved ones look at least once at a pretty girl. God made us this way, but it's what we think after that counts. If I look like 5 more times, then it's my issue and it's me that needs my eyes fixed.

TheCurseOfTheRodain likes this.
  4. #4 ixoye_8, Dec 29, 2013
    Polly is 18 Michael ..
    I think you should vote on her poll at the top of the page though ..
  5. I am 18. And the anime characters are not drawn like that because it's about selling sex. The anime characters wear miniskirts and nice t-shirts, tank tops, and tube tops because that's what most cartoons, even the American cartoons for children are drawn. Candace Flynn from Phineas and Ferb wears a tank top and a miniskirt, but it's not about sex selling. And yeah, males will lust and fantasize about the woman even if the woman wears clothes that cover, so people can't blame females, and males will especially lust and fantasize about the female if she has a beautiful face. And what full battle gear movie are you talking about? Because that's what the cartoon characters don't dress.
  6. #6 Polly, Dec 29, 2013
    I see. By the way, I am from Finland. Also, I am sorry if I am not allowed to post more than one messages in a row, I don't know how to multiquote perfectly.
  7. They are not dressed to sell sex? If you say so....... :whistle:

I would be more concerned that being a young women at 18 that you want to dress like cartoon characters though, that should be the first issue to address.

Attached Files:

8. #8 Polly, Dec 29, 2013
    Okay, those girls are not the anime characters I talk about. I dress like girls in Lucky Star for example, and the Lucky Star girls are not sex selling. And are Sailor Moon or Tokyo Mew Mew girls sex selling for example? I don't think so, because Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew are anime for little girls, and I watched Sailor Moon when I was 7-10yo, and I watched Tokyo Mew Mew when I was 10-11yo. And that anime girl is from some anime that's for adults, but the type of anime character I dress like are mainly the anime characters from anime shows that are for children or teenagers. I don't dress like a hentai character. You don't seem to understand me. And do you really think that Candace Flynn is also about sex selling, even though Candace Flynn is from a children's cartoon show named Phineas and Ferb? And also, can't 18 year old girls dress like cartoon characters? Really? Do we only have to wear boring clothes then, or clothes what normal girls or supermodels have? I prefer the cartoon character style, not a real life fashion style.
  9. #9 ixoye_8, Dec 29, 2013
    Polly .. I had to look it up .. I see no problem with that ..

Konata Izumi , Kagami Hiiragi , Tsukasa Hiiragi , Miyuki Takara , Yutaka Kobayakawa , Minami Iwasaki , Patricia Martin , Hiyori Tamura , Ayano Minegishi , Misao Kusakabe , Kō Yasaka and Yamato Nagamori .
  10. I guess it can also be not the Heavy Metal I am talking about, or it's the Non-Alcoholic beer I drink. I get you point and don't want to condemn for what you allow or violate conscience.

Your original question is "Can I wear Mini Skirts?"

According to scripture, anything that is done in faith is not sin. It also says a person that knows to do good and does it not is sin. So it comes down to what you really believe.

It has nothing to do with boys having lust as that is their issue.

So, since you questioned if you should wear these mini skirts, any questioning is not faith in what you allow. So the answer for you according to scripture is to not wear the mini skirts as it violates your conscience.

A clear conscience never questions or considers and is a key to keeping safe with God in this World. Violate it, or make excuses to violate it and you are headed for serious issues that will be hard to come out of.

In simple terms, never do anything that you question if God would be happy or not. It's not smart, and stops your ability to hear the Holy Spirit once you allow things in that seemed questionable.

ixoye_8 likes this.
  11. I have a litmus test that I use for things not explicitly covered in the Bible. I ask the question, "what good can come out of this?" When it comes to wearing mini skirts, probably not much.

If you're "confused," as you say you are, you should probably not wear the mini skirts. It sounds like you have a desire to please the Lord. There is a voice inside you telling you that wearing mini skirts might be coloring outside the lines. You should listen to that voice.
    ixoye_8 likes this.
  12. In all things you do; ask yourself this question: " is this (fill in the blank) holy?" Would you be comfortable standing in front of God?
    ixoye_8 likes this.
  13. Well, I don't know what to do then, because the knee skirts or longer skirts make me feel very boring and unfashionable and quite grannyish... D:
  14. #14 ixoye_8, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Polly .. I see no problem with skirts as long as they do not become so short that they then become suggestive .. to say you cant, then you must also say you cant go swimming either if not fully covered .. as I said before, you do not want your clothing to be "more extreme" then other girls around you as to draw attention away from you and to only the flesh .. if a girl is pretty, I will notice that even if she is wearing a winter coat ..

Islamic women cover everything because that religion puts the whole of the non-lusting thing on the woman to maintain .. yet the men still see non Muslim women, making the whole hyper-cover-up pointless ..

a Christian man should have control of lusting, so as to share that concern with the Christian woman .. meaning there is no reason to dress like a granny .. just don't dress like a Jezebel who is advertising the flesh ..

let the light shine within and be a blessing ..
  15. Polly, are you a Christian? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I'm just confused.
  16. #16 Polly, Dec 30, 2013
    Yes, I am a Christian, and/or I want to be Christian because I want to be saved, and I have a lot of problems with demons. The demons keep coming to me and they annoy me, but sometimes there are days when the demons are not here.

But what if the thighs are not really a bad body part? Because some person said that it's actually about the thing that the cleavage or the butt can't be shown, but the legs and half of the thighs can be shown? Or are thighs private parts? I just don't like to wear skirts that are longer or shorter than half of the thighs.

Also, I saw the dresses from the Medieval and 16th century, and those dresses had a very big neckline that showed the cleavage. Why did all the women in those times wear those dresses then if they were not modest and it's a sin to be immodest? I am pretty sure that those times Christianity was a law too.
  17. #17 ixoye_8, Dec 30, 2013
    I was hoping mid-thigh was you max ..
    I think above that becomes suggestive ..
    your shirts work the same way ..
    a low neckline becomes suggestive ..

there have been two kinds of people since the beginning of time ..
    those obedient to God and those that are not ..
  18. Welcome, Polly.

Good question. The subject of modesty is tough because what is modest can differ in so many ways. For some, skirts and dresses above the knees can still be modest. For others, it has already crossed the line.

I wouldn't compare one era/culture with different ones. Modesty to the Guarani Indians, for instance, could be a loin cloth and a necklace. In Western cultures, this would be immodest.

Part of my work is with certain fashion magazines and retailers. There are definitely ways to be fashionable and still be modest.
  19. Polly,

What you're asking is more of a cultural thing. Since you live in a different culture than most everyone here, it's probably going to be difficult to communicate on this issue.

Plus, I have to question the approach of asking people on an internet forum these types of questions. Don't you have friends or family (especially from the same part of the world) you can talk to about this?
  20. #20 ixoye_8, Dec 30, 2013
    as to being saved ..
    we work on that our whole lives ..
    so the sooner we start becoming pleasing to God the better ..

Jhn 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
    Jhn 3:17 “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

God sent His Son Jesus to bring a covenant between us and Him, and to pay the penalty of sin, for those who will make God Lord in their life (live for Him instead of self) ..
    so being saved IS living for Him and we will realize salvation in the afterlife by going to heaven because we did what He asked us to in His covenant with us while we are here ..

1 Love God with ALL your heart, mind, body and soul ..
    this has 3 parts ..
    1) Belief that Jesus is the son of God and died for your sins
    Jhn 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
    2) Repentance of past and present sins
    Luk 13:3 "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.
    3) Giving God control in all aspects of your life and following only His will
    Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, ’Lord, Lord, ’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

2 Love neighbor as self ..
    this means to be good and kind to all people ..
    so we do not covet, steal or bear false witness ..
    and we are charitable in our ways, helping those who need help (if possible) ..

Luk 10:25 And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    Luk 10:26 And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?”
    Luk 10:28 And He said to him, “You have answered correctly; DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE.”

what I suggest if you want to continue, is to find a quiet place and pray to God ..
    tell Him that you are sorry for anything you have done in your life that was sinning against His will, and that you want to now follow Him in all His ways ..

God Bless You Polly ..
    I am praying for you ..