Christmas Movies

blueskies

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Christmas Movies…
This time of the year begs the question, what is a personal or family favorite Christmas or holiday movie? Have any?

We have several. One is the black and white 1951 version of “A Christmas Carol” with Alastair Sim. We watch this every year, it’s by far my favorite version of the Dickens classic.

Another, also a black and white film, one that isn’t always an obvious choice, is the 1947 film, “The Bishop’s Wife” with Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven, Monty Woolley and Elsa Lanchester. Great casting, great messages and a real ‘feel good’ kinda movie.

If you’ve some personal or family favorites please share.

Allow me to take this chance to wish all my brothers and sisters in Christ a “Merry Christmas”.
God bless you and those you love.

Y'all mentioned the 1951 "A Christmas Carol" with Alastair Sim. I have to agree, that's the one that we watch, too.

There's a scene nearing the end of the movie where Scrooge is chatting with his housekeeper in the parlor and he is standing next to a mirror. There is a reflection of a member of the production crew behind the camera visible in that mirror. They never caught that error.

And like Tiny Tim said during the Cratchit Christmas meal, "God Bless us, every one."

Merry Christmas to y'all from the hill country of western Kentucky.

`

The Bishop’s Wife” with Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven, Monty Woolley and Elsa Lanchester. Great casting, great messages and a real ‘feel good’ kinda movie.
I totally forgot about this movie... OH my goodness... I need to try and find it.... It was BRILLIANT.

*Edit.... Ok... I did not see the old version of this movie... the one I saw was called the Preacher's Wife... but I imagine it's from this same plot line.
and..... AND..... I found it... OH boy!!!!

I've never seen them!

I like Meet Me in St Louis, as it ends in a Christmas family theme but it's not ALL about Christmas.
Home Alone is a classic. Although am not sure why the ENTIRE family (8 children?!) would leave their own (massive!) home around Christmastime.

A Streetcat Named Bob Christmas movie I really liked.

Not a christmas movie, it's a tv special, but family enjoy Mr Bean's Christmas. Mostly because Mr Bean is so funny and he doesn't talk much. He doesn't even have much family, but enjoys Christmas all the same.

I like Meet Me in St Louis, as it ends in a Christmas family theme but it's not ALL about Christmas.
That is a great choice.

This film has several interesting distinctions. The Christmas song, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” comes from this movie and the film itself was directed by Vincent Minnelli, who met Judy Garland on the set and later married her. They later had a daughter, Liza Minnelli, who was a successful singer and actress herself.

I've been to New York city, but not St Louis.
I wonder if St Louis people like that movie?
Of course it wasn't even shot in St Louis but a soundstage and backlots in Hollywood California.

The song is a classic but it was said to be too sad so cover versions often change the lyrics.

Apparently (trivia movie buff here) it was based on a real story but they changed the ending to make it better. In real life, the dad did move to New York for work.
I also like the song 'The Boy Next Door'. 'The trolley song' is also fun.

So many films to choose from/
But as a kid, I only remember watching the wizard of oz, being my most favourite and the Sound of Music.

But when my kids were growing up, we had all the Disney movies playing and Christmas children ones.
Miracle on 34th St.
The Snowman.
The Santa clause.
Scrooge.
my personal favourite was The lion the witch and the wardrobe (chronicles of Narnia)

Merry Christmas everyone!

What was showing on the tv here was

Tangiwai (A Christmas disaster movie...er...) for Christmas Eve
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Downton Abbey

What, no Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Sound of Music? Maybe on the other channels. I don't really watch tv on Christmas day because too many relatives over but I'm not in charge of the tv at my brothers house.

Wizard of Oz was often shown or at Easter.

Love Actually is one that's perenially popular. Did I see it at the movies I can't remember..I think I did. I had the CD soundtrack at one stage.

Depending on age and how many children there are, its hard for most to actually sit still long enough to watch a movie, so they need to be short maybe 90 minutes tops or they lose interest.

Sound of Music is favourite for families because everyone can identify with the children but now watching it as an adult I'm like Captain von Trap was insanely wealthy I mean they had a ballroom in their house! They had everything they could wish for but no mother which makes it compelling ..orphans are good movie material. If it was the dad who had died they would have been desititute. It's never said how or why the mother died though.
With families of large sizes you wonder if mothers don't just die of exhaustion.

Back